How Much Does it Cost?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"yyyy" represented some broad range of qualifications like "23 years old ... in amazing shape ... brilliant ... experienced ... exceptional in lots of ways that should matter to you"
Ahh. And likely the least important qualities in what you're looking for

OP
ShortBridge

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Eh, it's fine, I do care about stuff, but if you're willing to do anything "pick up the phone and call me" seems like it would be table stakes.

I think that particular quirk is a generational one.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Eh, it's fine, I do care about stuff, but if you're willing to do anything "pick up the phone and call me" seems like it would be table stakes.

That’s that generation. My brother is 31. I don’t think he’s ever answered his cell phone without me texting him to answer the damn phone after I get his voicemail. He’ll gladly have a half hour “conversation” through texting. His friends are the same way. Colleagues of mine around his age are the same way too.

I’m not some old and set in my ways 42 year old who doesn’t want to embrace things. But if it’s more than 2-3 sentences, pick up the phone. I’m all for kids reading and all that ;) but get your reading in some other way.

OP
ShortBridge

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Right and I'm not Chinese and this isn't the 1600s, but there is still a bit of tradition to what we do. I teach a small group and have a personal relationship with each of them.

You've got to be willing to talk to me.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I'd agree with that. It infuriates me how often my friends are told "just call me", and no matter what it is they don't. Theyd meet the guy in person, theyd text or email, but somehow calling is different

OP
ShortBridge

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm good with meeting in person too, but I'm not going to take someone seriously if they won't engage with me.

This gets to another issue, maybe I don't blame this one on age demographics, but just the times. I want dedicated students. It's a small group, everyone is counting on everyone else to show up and train. If they don't, we all miss out on the training opportunity. People work, people get sick, there are birthdays and anniversaries, that's all good. But, I don't want people paying their dues and then disappearing and showing back up at random, like it's a well-intentioned, but poorly-used gym membership. I used to manage gyms and I know that people who sign up and pay, but don't ever come are a winfall. No one is ever waiting for them to finish with a bench or machine, but they're helping us pay our rent and salaries! But, that's not what I'm doing. That conversation is meant to help them understand that.

So, I'm looking to be convinced that they're going to be a good reliable training partner. They MUST HAVE questions about us to other than "how much?" Call me or let's meet and get it all out in the open, I'm almost always open in that conversation about our (very modest) monthly dues as well...but that can't be your only question and it certainly isn't the only thing that I want to know about them.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right and I'm not Chinese and this isn't the 1600s, but there is still a bit of tradition to what we do. I teach a small group and have a personal relationship with each of them.

You've got to be willing to talk to me.
I’d love to be In a position to be that picky, actually. Good for you.