How to find a good School

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This came up on the thread about

"Another Get your Kenpo Blackbelt at home. "

The question was asked, if you a a complete neophyte, how do you find a good school? Watch classes, talk to the instructor, talk to the students, check out the Association ... if there is one? All of these are good ideas, but you can still be "sold" a bill of goods, and not know until thousands of dollars later, you got a bad deal, bad instruction, or a bad school (fly by night kinda deal.)

I wish I could take credit for this, but I saw this on someone elses website and copied it for my own use in Microsoft Word, so I did not even keep the source code ... I must have been at work. Anyhow, it is a list of questions the prospective student, or student's parent can ask. I think they are a great guideline. Nobody scores 100%, but at least it gives the Martially illiterate a starting point.

If anyone knows who formulated these, please let me know, as I would like to give them full credit. They have been very helpful in helping me anticipate and answer questions for potential students ... even before they think to ask.

Here is the list. I hope I am not infringing on copywrited material. I am pretty certain I am not or I would not post them. Neither do I want anyone to think I am pilfering the material. I never intended to disseminate it, even though I think it is great stuff. So I am takin' my chances and aaaawaaaaay weeee gooooo!

A GENERAL CHECK LIST BEFORE JOINING ANY NEW DOJO

Beware the hidden costs - Get full disclosure before you sign any contract! (Once the contract is signed, it's often too late.) I don't require contracts!

1. Is the instructor CPR and first aid certified?_______Yes __________No.

2. Do you charge belt testing fees?______Yes _______No.

3. Do you have a price list showing each test fee?_______Yes _______No

4. Are students required to test at given intervals? _______Yes _______No

5. On the average how often is a person tested?________

6. Do you have written requirements for each belt/stripe test? _______Yes _________No

7. What is the total charge for all belt/stripe fees - from White through 1st Black!

8. What is the belt test fee for (just) Black Belt?

9. Is sparring/freestyle required? ________Yes _______No If yes:

10. Total cost of all required sparring/safety equipment?

11. Must all equipment be bought through the studio? ________Yes_________No

12. Is contact allowed in sparring? ________Yes _________No

13. Is kicking to the head allowed? _________Yes _________No

14. Is kicking to the head mandatory? _________Yes ________No

15. Is kicking to the head in tournaments allowed _________? Required__________?

16. Is breaking of boards required? ____Yes ____No - Required for testing?____Yes ___No

17. Is the studio full time, professional _________? Part time___________?

18. What are the hours _____________________?

19. How long has the studio been open _____________?

20. Must I sign a contract ________Yes ________ No If Yes:

21. Can I get a copy to take to my attorney for review before I sign it? ____Yes ____No

22. Contract: for how long _________?

23. Contract: for how much ? Does the contract state what I am getting for this money? ____?

24. Are payments made to a third party ? _________Yes ________No

25. Are instructors "NATIONALLY CERTIFIED" thru a recognized organization?_____Yes ______ No

26. Is the instruction Group only? __________ How many groups per week ________?

27. Do I have to pay for extra groups ___________? How much _________?

28. Does the basic course include:

29. Private instruction/Personal Trainer? _______Yes ________ No

30. If yes --- is it every week _______Yes ________ No _________?

31. If no: Is private instruction available at an extra cost? ________Yes ________No

32. If yes -- How much per hour? ____________

33. Do you use Youth for Instructors? _________Yes ________No

34. Do you award Black Belts to Youths? ______Yes ______No If yes: Starting at what age? _______

35. What is the average time for a youth to get a Black Belt? _________

36. Do you primarily teach;

37. Self Defense ____________? % of total ____________ How many techniques per belt ______?

38. Sport Karate/Tae Kwon Do___________? % of total

39. Is the studio matted for rolling and falling ___Yes____No?

40. Do you teach ground fighting/grappling____Yes _______No?

41. JuiJitsu/style ___ ShootFighting ___ Other ____________?

42. Am I required to go to tournaments? ___Yes___No --- If Yes -- How many ______?

43. If I am sick or go on vacation do I still have to pay for lessons I did not or could not take ________?

44. For youth - What about cancellations due to: Little league? ____ Soccer____?

Obviously you could modify this list and tailor it to your program, but what a great thing to hand people doing comparison shopping for schools. Especially if you know you are doing good on 90% of these.

Oss & thanks in advance to whoever developed this.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mr. Billings- You are correct! It is a great list, and it would be a great thing for the new student to have while searching for a school.

Just to add on to a post that I made on the other thread regarding this. Considering all of the scams that are out there today, one would think, that most people would take a little extra time and do some research. Granted, this is not the case for everybody, considering that alot of "new students" have no idea about that MA's...after all, isnt that why they are looking for a place?

As for the research--well, you dont have to be a total expert. If someone was looking to by a new car, one would think that they buyer would take it for a test drive, right? Now, I'm no mechanic, but I know that if I heard a noise when I hit the breaks, it would tell me there is a problem with them. If the steering wheel shook, it would tell me that there is a problem with the steering or alignment. And the list goes on and on.

Having a list of questions, such as the one you posted, should give the "new student" something to go by!

Mike

G

gravity

Mr Wedlake's Kenpo 101 book provides good info on finding a good school, how to be a good student and what a good instructor should be like.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a great list to have handy. Wish I'd have had it when I started looking for my first school. Unfortunately, I believe my experience would have been the same as things didn't go down hill until about a year and a half after starting. Just goes to show you really don't have any guarantees. This list, however, would give a huge leg up to anyone looking for a first or even just a new school.

Latest Discussions