How do you block punches without gloves while avoidng injuries from blows?

Bullsherdog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm reading a biography on George Foreman and I just literally **** in my pants when I read that several top contenders he fought during his first career quickly got their arms broken within the first round and had to forfeit. When I finally watched the fights on youtube, I saw most of the punches Foreman threw were blocked by using BOXING GLOVES. Yet despite that they still lost because their arms broke and they can't guard themselves any longer.

If even wearing gloves and blocking them doesn't prevent broken arms from hard punchers, how do you block without getting injured?

Specifically I don't mean PARRY, I mean block as in you simply cover yourself in places you accurate predict and let the blows land on your arms (or part of the gloves if you're ringfighting). No movements, your arms or hands are just stationary. As in the techniques they are using to defend themselves in the two videos below.

Do properly trained martial artists condition their arms to withstand blows when they block stationary style as seen in the video above? I mean to read about Foreman breaking arms protected by gloves and seeing it live makes me wonder how valid this technique is.

Because martial arts schools are now adopting this "stationary blocks" and "cover up" defense seen in boxing because they see traditional blocks as ineffective especially in the context of MMA and ringfighting.

But I am wondering if the boxing style blocks are just as terrible to use in street defense? Or is taking a blow to the arm as your cover up instinctively like a turtle in its shell or moving a single whole arm to a location you predict will be hit a legit thing?

Would you have to grow big biceps and condition your arms to being hit by baseball bats to be able to block hard hits without getting your arm broken if you block in boxing's stationary arm method or alternatively by the cover up style?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martialtalk, bro. Hope you enjoy it.

As for your question - a George Foreman in his heyday probably isn't a good example of an average guy throwing punches. I know we don't prepare against "average" but George was something else altogether.

As for blocking, it's an option, as is parrying, ducking, bobbing and weaving, evading, slipping, running, jamming, clinching, taking down, crowding, intercepting, throwing, sweeping, reaping, grabbing etc.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do properly trained martial artists condition their arms
Many martial artist do some sort of bone conditioning that increased the density of their bones making them stronger, but it's not done in the context of "I need to make my arms stronger so I don't break them while blocking."

Martial arts is often smarter about block than what is used in boxing. I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, it's just that they are 2 separate things with 2 separate focuses. In the first video, it shows the guy is using his forearms to block the punch. In martial arts, the use of the forearms that way would be a waste and dangerous. Keep in mind that many martial arts were made in the context of punching without gloves. Instead of using the forearms to block, martial artist would use the elbow to break the fists.

Martial arts tries not to be on the power end of stuff unless they can use an elbow, shin, or knee to make you wish that you didn't punch them. In boxing it's a sport with big gloves and there's a lot of things you don't have to worry about because the gloves offer more protection for the hands.

You always have to use blocks in the context of the situation, so if you are in a street fight then don't block as if you and your attacker have gloves on.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As for your question - a George Foreman in his heyday probably isn't a good example of an average guy throwing punches. I know we don't prepare against "average" but George was something else altogether.
Me thinks you exaggerate a bit :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
George was so much fun to watch. And vs Ali, just wonderful.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Martialtalk. Without gloves (bareknuckle boxing), you have to try to block punches with shoulders, elbows, and forearms mostly. Although it'll hurt more for the blocker usually, fists won't break arms - that's physically impossible. If you can find me an example, hats off I guess.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Then you either lack the required conditioning or will be doing it wrong.
Try punching yourself in the arm. Does your nerveless knuckle hurt more or does your arm hurt more? Also, you will always feel pain when taking a hit, because technically you're just making them hit one body part instead of the other, no matter how hard you condition. I thought conditioning trained pain tolerance and threshold, not actual, physiological reduction of feeling pain.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Try punching yourself in the arm. Does your nerveless knuckle hurt more or does your arm hurt more? Also, you will always feel pain when taking a hit, because technically you're just making them hit one body part instead of the other, no matter how hard you condition. I thought conditioning trained pain tolerance and threshold, not actual, physiological reduction of feeling pain.
If you are blocking the knuckles with your forearm then you are definitely blocking incorrectly

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are blocking the knuckles with your forearm then you are definitely blocking incorrectly
I prefer elbow. Only problem with elbow blocking is that right next to the pointy hurty bit is a pressure point, you know, the space between the joint that hurts a lot when you bump it on something.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Move out of the way mostly. You can't cover and trade like you have boxing gloves on.

This is cage muay thai. which is a striking comp with smaller gloves.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm reading a biography on George Foreman and I just literally **** in my pants

OK, so first, go clean yourself up. I presume you know what the word 'literally' means, right?

when I read that several top contenders he fought during his first career quickly got their arms broken within the first round and had to forfeit. When I finally watched the fights on youtube, I saw most of the punches Foreman threw were blocked by using BOXING GLOVES. Yet despite that they still lost because their arms broke and they can't guard themselves any longer.

I would not try to block a punch with my hand, so wearing boxing gloves or not should not make any difference for me.

I don't know if George Foreman would have broken my arm or not had he swung at me and I had the time to try to block the punch. If anyone could, I suspect it would be he, however. Very strong man in his prime.

If even wearing gloves and blocking them doesn't prevent broken arms from hard punchers, how do you block without getting injured?

Proper technique. Which does not involve blocking with gloves

Specifically I don't mean PARRY, I mean block as in you simply cover yourself in places you accurate predict and let the blows land on your arms (or part of the gloves if you're ringfighting). No movements, your arms or hands are just stationary. As in the techniques they are using to defend themselves in the two videos below.

When we do an upper body block in my style of karate, we conform our bodies to permit the force to flow through us into the ground. It won't stop a train, but it will stop an amazing amount of force. Of course, nothing is impenetrable. Someone hits me with a baseball bat full force, my arm is quite likely to break if I try to block the blow. But, I have withstood some pretty powerful punches and I'm satisfied that my upper body block is effective in most circumstances.

Do properly trained martial artists condition their arms to withstand blows when they block stationary style as seen in the video above? I mean to read about Foreman breaking arms protected by gloves and seeing it live makes me wonder how valid this technique is.

Not in my style.

Because martial arts schools are now adopting this "stationary blocks" and "cover up" defense seen in boxing because they see traditional blocks as ineffective especially in the context of MMA and ringfighting.

I don't know what you mean. My style of karate is not adopting anything. We do what we have always done.

But I am wondering if the boxing style blocks are just as terrible to use in street defense? Or is taking a blow to the arm as your cover up instinctively like a turtle in its shell or moving a single whole arm to a location you predict will be hit a legit thing?

Rule #1 of karate - don't get hit. That means moving out of the way, parrying, redirecting, etc. Blocking is the basic response, but not the only one or necessarily the best one.

You set your argument up to fail - you say 'no parry' and then you criticize the block. Well, I'd parry instead of blocking. I don't really care if you discount that technique or not, it works pretty well.

Would you have to grow big biceps and condition your arms to being hit by baseball bats to be able to block hard hits without getting your arm broken if you block in boxing's stationary arm method or alternatively by the cover up style?

That's silly.

Your argument appears to be like this: "You are standing in front of an oncoming train. Would you stand there and block the train, or would you toughen up your body to be able to withstand being hit by a train?" I would not do either one. I'd get out of the way of the damned train.

When an opponent throws an looping, overhand, or other punch that is aimed at the head, there are many, many, ways to deal with it. Boxing has its rules, and I'm not a boxer, so I'm going to disregard whatever it is boxers do.

First thing I would think about is stepping out of the line of fire. I might step back; I might step in. I might step to either side. It all depends on what the circumstances lead me to believe would be the most effective response. But trust me, if I think I have time to get out of the way, that's what I'll do.

Assuming I cannot get out of the way, there are still many ways to respond. If the guy telegraphs his punch, I can attack his balance point at about hip level and stop the punch from ever being thrown at all. He winds up, I punch his hip, he never throws the punch.

Assuming I don't have time to counter the punch before it is thrown, I would hope that I could intercept the punch with a rising block, but I would not attempt to collide with his punch, nor would I set my block and let him crash down into it (last resort). I'd do my best to put my forearm into his punch at or above his elbow level, and continue the motion he started - causing his punch to rise over my head or off to the side. I have likewise practiced slapping the punch down or away; no need to block if you can knock it off course easily enough.

If there is no other option, and I'm out of time to do anything else, yes, I set my block and he crashes down into it. This is where technique comes in - the block is set such that the force travels down the arm into the spine to the legs, and then into the floor. The elbow and the knees act as shock absorbers, and a good grounded stance allows the force to leave the body just like a lightning rod takes electricity out of a house. Hard to describe, but when you have done lots of bad blocks and your arm collapses when hit, and then you get it right finally, and the arm stays up and you absorb the power with no ill effects, you know how it feels and you try to keep doing it exactly that way.

Bottom line, I am not going to stand up and punch it out with a boxer. Why would I do that? I am not bound by the rules of boxing. Someone throws on me, I get out of the way. Or I try to change his body mechanics so he can no longer throw the punch. Or I redirect the punch. If I have to absorb it, I do; but then I punish him with a counter that isn't allowed in boxing, and he won't be doing that again anytime soon. Probably by taking direct issue with the nerve cluster at the base of his arm on the underside. You can't punch me when you can't lift that arm anymore.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also, you will always feel pain when taking a hit, because technically you're just making them hit one body part instead of the other, no matter how hard you condition. I thought conditioning trained pain tolerance and threshold, not actual, physiological reduction of feeling pain.
The purpose of conditioning is not to train pain tolerance. The purpose is to cause physical changes in the muscle, skin, and bone so that you can minimize damage to that part of the body when attacking and defending. The physical changes that occurs makes your arm tougher and increases bone density and this allows you to take the hits with little to know injury. If all that I was doing was pain reduction, then I would still get bruises and injuries like I used to before I did conditioning.

I prefer elbow. Only problem with elbow blocking is that right next to the pointy hurty bit is a pressure point, you know, the space between the joint that hurts a lot when you bump it on something.
This is where correct technique comes into play. If you are doing the technique correctly then there's no way that spot on your elbow can be struck.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, they aren't. That sentence is a load of cobblers, frankly.

and that one is laughable.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

If you do that you are more likely to break your arms during practice than actual fighting.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
And for the record I have fairly OK biceps, and I still get hurt from blocking and parrying. Over time that happens from respected use, you also don't block using your biceps and believe me, you wouldn't want to, you ever been struck on the bicep? It hurts badly, it's like getting a charlie horse but on your arm instead of your leg or feet.

Anyway no matter the size of your biceps blocking comes down to using your forearms, parrying comes down to forearms and hands to guide the strike away from you. Look at Bruce Lee, he didn't have massive biceps, sure he was toned and in incredible shape but none of his muscles were exactly "big" he himself was never a large man.

Then you got people like Anderson Silva and Floyd Mayweather, two completely different fighters but both are thin and small guys and they manage to block just fine.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A punch will starts from

1. static, to
2. initial power, to
3. more power, then to
4. maximum power.

If you block that punch during

- 3, or 4, you will deal with more power.
- 1, or 2, you will deal with less power.

You should block your opponent's punch during the early stage. In order to do so, you fist has to be near your opponent's face instead of to let your opponent's fist to be near your own face. You have to deal with your opponent's punch in his territory and not in your own territory.

In other words, you should try not to give your opponent enough space to punch.

Latest Discussions