How are pro-fighters and other trained pros able to take hits nonstop without getting knocked down?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's if you bob and weave. Also, using your feet for power isn't high-level by any means, it's absolute first-hour basics.
Yes, but I think the inverse takes a bit more imo because you have to maintain the stance while doing other things at the same time to minimize the blow without compromising the stance. With a fist coming at you head, that takes practice. I only noted the "punching" aspect as the starting point you can build upon.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Back when I was a terrible boxer (decades ago), I had a match where I was literally outclassing the guy. He had nothing and everything I tried to do worked perfectly. Virtually every combination I through landed as intended. To my consternation, he seemed completely unaffected by it. I had trained so hard and developed a very high impression of myself based on training and bag work, but this...not talented, not well conditioned human being, in my weight class, just took it. If it bothered him at all, he didn't show it.

Other people fold like lawn chairs. It's horrifying, actually and it made me start looking for other ways to train for the purpose of potentially defending myself from a violent assault.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To my consternation, he seemed completely unaffected by it.

Someone we were about to question threw his very best punch at my colleague, it hit with a bang and had no effect at all, the guy's face was a picture, he realised he'd thrown his very best and now he was in deep trouble. My colleague did that Bruce Lee thing wiping his mouth and said 'now then...', the guy sort of crumpled in on himself and we had no further bother from him.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Someone we were about to question threw his very best punch at my colleague, it hit with a bang and had no effect at all, the guy's face was a picture, he realised he'd thrown his very best and now he was in deep trouble. My colleague did that Bruce Lee thing wiping his mouth and said 'now then...', the guy sort of crumpled in on himself and we had no further bother from him.

Yep, and my LEO buddy has stories of tasing people on PCP and them not seeming to notice. You just can't be sure what will or won't happen.

Last edited:

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

Omg can I relate to this, reminds me of my partner when I worked on the narcotics unit. Genetics?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope, I wrote "tasing" plain as day. Check again.

Then again...I am on the west coast.

Well the quote says "tasting" must be a west cost thing, we don't taste suspects on the east coast... ;). That said tasers are a mixed bag (I have found out the hard way). They do one thing always. Pain compliance, which PCP/wet will make the suspect say "I'm out of my mind don't care... Grrrr". Hell I once found a guy high on PCP trying to have carnal knowledge of a pile of garbage... literally. Pain compliance is a no go there.

The other effect, if you actually fire the probes (no drive stun), is interfering with the electrical impulses to the muscles. Thing is that is two parts. 1. Effects the appropriate muscle groups. Part 2. Enough distance between probes to effect enough muscle groups.

A classic example of the above is me getting tased in training and my wife getting tased. Yes, in training you perverts ;). My department is meaner. The instructor took one probe and taped it to my right shoulder. The other got taped to my left ankle. Ergo my entire body was a circuit bridge. I am impressed I could yell in pain, nothing else listened and that bothered me more than the pain tbh. My wife's PD shot her with the taser. The guy was too close and in watching the video she screamed sure as heck, and dropped, but as she did so she tried to get a hand back to where the probes hit because it basically only messed with her right butt cheek and hamstring. One of her co-workers filmed it for me, to her chagrin lol.

Tasers are a weird thing.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sticker-Die-cut-large1.jpg
TASTING!? Damn he took a bite of them and they weren't phased by it?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Omg can I relate to this, reminds me of my partner when I worked on the narcotics unit. Genetics?

"yeah but islanders are vulnerable to a strike in the solar plexus"

No seriously someone actually said that me right before he kicked off.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

Now that is just silly lol. On a serious note my partner could almost stand in for Gimli from Lord of the Rings without CGI. He is 5'5"-5'6" and almost as wide as he is tall, and it is all muscle, except he admits he does crap leg work and I still yell at him about that. When he was complaining about money one day I said "dude we are off tomorrow. I'll give ya $20.00 if you stand in my garden wearing a red pointy gnome hat."

Back to the point. I saw him take a slug to the face one night when we stopped a couple guys on the street and his response was literally "are you kidding me?"

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Got jumped in the street when I was 14-15 and even scrawnier than now, there were about 6-7 guys following me and my friend. The oldest one was a bigger 18yo rascal and hit me from behind.

He tapped my shoulder saying "hey" and as I was turning around he landed a big right hand on my temple. I didn't even lose balance although he hit me by surprise on a sensitive area (didn't have the chance to brace myself). It didn't even hurt, I was just scared as hell as it was the first time someone had ever hit me in the face.

I guess clean hits are difficult to land perfectly and even when they do hit people are not made of glass. Moreover, pros go through intensive conditioning so they can take more punishment.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'm half Hawaiian which is Pacific islander. I don't I'm any more vulnerable there than any other ethnicity lol.