Have you kicked someone in a fight.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you understand the risk that your kicking leg may be caught, you will kick less.

Golden rooster stands on one leg. It's amazing how easy it is to hook and lift someone's leg like that.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you want to be good at kicking in a real fight, then spar with people who like to charge at you. Find a good brawler to spar with.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh if that's the case then I totally misread it. if that's the position that the OP is coming from then it's simple

Sometimes you use a kick and sometimes you don't. If you aren't in a position to use the kicks that you train then you won't be able to use it and as a result you'll do something else. The one thing I wouldn't do is take one fight and make the assumption that if you didn't kick in that fight that you won't be kicking in a future fight.

For example, the one fight that I didn't kick in, I did a throw. I had to do a throw because I was attacked from behind. The throw made more sense than trying to kick when I was in a bad position to do so.

Sorry about the misunderstanding OP.
Agreed. I know people who can effectively kick in closer quarters than I can. And you probably have significantly more power in your kicks than I do. I'd expect you and that other guy to use those kicks more often and to more advantage in a fight.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Any kick above the knee level can be caught. IMO, the safe kick that's hard to catch are:

- front kick at knee.
- side kick at knee.
- side kick behind (or on the side) the knee.
- reverse side kick at knee.
- roundhouse kick below the knee.
- foot sweep at the ankle.

The only concern is all those kicks can be escaped by just bending the leg at the knee joint.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any kick above the knee level can be caught. IMO, the safe kick that's hard to catch are:

- front kick at knee.
- side kick at knee.
- side kick behind (or on the side) the knee.
- reverse side kick at knee.
- roundhouse kick below the knee.
- foot sweep at the ankle.

The only concern is all those kicks can be escaped by just bending the leg at the knee joint.

The better you are at kicking, the less likely it is that anyone will be able to catch your kick.

And sometimes, you actually want that high kick to get caught...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The better you are at kicking, the less likely it is that anyone will be able to catch your kick.

And sometimes, you actually want that high kick to get caught...
You must have much better kicks than me. Man, if one of my kicks gets caught...

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Getting a kick caught intentionally can be a fantastic entry.
Ehh. If you are significantly more skilled I guess. All things being equal, having your leg wrapped with an arm while you hop on one leg is a rather disadvantageous position.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hopping around on one leg?

Nah mate ;)

ILoy8gE.gif

Or at least, a variation.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was a really cool video, but he is helping with the move.

Yes, he is. He's giving a bit of lift. Just like someone "lifting your leg above their shoulder" ;)

But the fact is, I'm exponentially more likely to pull off that move (or variation, depending on exact positioning) than I am a 'fight ending' punch.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hopping around on one leg?

Nah mate ;)

ILoy8gE.gif

Or at least, a variation.
Riiight. You could probably pull that off before breakfast, against people that totally aren't cooperating.

I prefer to give them the rock bottom through a table.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thing is really, I don't punch particularly well and I have no interest in developing it much.

I have far more interest in being able to fling myself around and take someone along for the ride.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can we get back to the question.
Not in a tournament, not in theory, but in a real fight have you kicked someone?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can we get back to the question.
Not in a tournament, not in theory, but in a real fight have you kicked someone?

Yes.

If it counts as "a real fight" anyway...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I soccer kicked a guy who tried to pull a gun on me. I saw him reaching for it, and rushed in with a right hook to the jaw. After he fell I gave him 3 or 4 soccer kicks to the ribs and ran. Only time I’ve kicked outside the dojo and competition.

I’ve never been an effective kicker. I don’t fight at a range conducive to it, I use more of a boxer’s stance where my center of gravity doesn’t favor it, and I’m not a flexible guy.

If I actually ever get into a fight again and kick, it’ll be all of 3 different kicks - knee (most likely), roundhouse to the knee or thigh, or inside-out crescent kick. Possibly a front kick too, used as a Muay Thai “teep” or to meet someone charging forward with a kick in the stomach.

I use other stuff in sparring, but when I’m being outclassed and/or it gets intense, I’m a front kick and inside-out crescent kick to the head guy. I use that crescent kick from pretty close range, and it’s pretty strong. Only downfal is it’s hard for me to transition to anything else after I use it. I keep working on that though.

Edit: I kicked a kid during a fight in around 6th grade. Basically a front kick to the stomach, but I didn’t know anything about MA beyond “Kung Fu Theater” and the like. Oh yeah, I kneed a kid in the ribs a few times while we were both down - he was hands and knees, I was in a wrestling side position controlling him. Around 9th grade. No MA experience then, except several years of wrestling.

Latest Discussions