Have you kicked someone in a fight.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think Jim Harrison is along the same lines as anyone, I really don't. He's before my time, but I've met and spoke with him several times when I was young and on the circuit. To give you an idea, read this, look at his background and accomplishments. And when Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee talk all nice nice about you, well, you know. I think when they made up the that adage, He's the wrong guy to fight with....they were probably thinking about Mister Harrison.

Tough Guys: Jim "Ronin" Harrison - Tom Furman Fitness

And Jim Harrison still trains today. He is something else.

As for William Oliver, wow. What a loss when he passed. I competed against him when I was a kid. I got smoked. But so did everyone else that day. And he was a really nice man. But I'll tell you, that man had some of the best timing I've ever seen.

It's possible to catch anyone's kick, I guess. But Oliver was way too smart for that. WAY.
Thanks for posting that, Buka. I’ve heard so many William Oliver stories from my teacher, others in Seido, and from people in my former organization (they were Kyokushin/Seido before they broke off) that I feel like I knew him. As crazy as that one sounds.

My teacher speaks very highly of him, and if 2 weeks go by without him mentioning Oliver, it’s a long time. One of my favorites was when my teacher sparred him and Charles Martin at the end of his first and second dan tests. Oliver picked up his right foot and windshield wipered his face with it. After picking himself up off the floor, Oliver picked up his left foot and did it all over again. Oliver did that to him BOTH tests. He expected it the second time around, but couldn’t do anything about it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that, Buka. I’ve heard so many William Oliver stories from my teacher, others in Seido, and from people in my former organization (they were Kyokushin/Seido before they broke off) that I feel like I knew him. As crazy as that one sounds.

My teacher speaks very highly of him, and if 2 weeks go by without him mentioning Oliver, it’s a long time. One of my favorites was when my teacher sparred him and Charles Martin at the end of his first and second dan tests. Oliver picked up his right foot and windshield wipered his face with it. After picking himself up off the floor, Oliver picked up his left foot and did it all over again. Oliver did that to him BOTH tests. He expected it the second time around, but couldn’t do anything about it.

I remember Charles Martin as well. He was another one of those guys you hated to fight.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I remember Charles Martin as well. He was another one of those guys you hated to fight.
I’ve met (now) Hanshi Charles Martin several times. Such a nice guy. One of those guys who chooses his words wisely; the type that doesn’t say much, but you definitely listen to what he’s saying.

He was at our dojo’s 30th anniversary celebration in August, along with Nakamura. I’ve heard quite a few Charles Martin stories too. People say it was like he was always several moves ahead of you and knew what you’re going to do before you know what you’re going to do. IMO that’s really what makes the elite people in any sport. They see things well before they happen. My teacher said he wasn’t as athletic as Oliver was, but he was every bit as good. Better in some ways, not as good in other ways; the end result was the same though-you were getting beat without them breaking a sweat.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Add in the 25 dislikes, and you get 9510, so apparently dislikes actually add to the positive ratings (which seems odd). In summary, the "Positive Ratings Received" is apparently a total of everything except "Disagree".

Well as they say, any press is good press [emoji14]

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
The "positive ratings received" is a total of other ratings. My current rating:
5075 like + 3114 agree + 1122 funny +134 informative + 40 useful = 9485. Add in the 25 dislikes, and you get 9510, so apparently dislikes actually add to the positive ratings (which seems odd). In summary, the "Positive Ratings Received" is apparently a total of everything except "Disagree".

Has there ever been a discussion on the rating system before?

Does your positive/neutral/negative rating ratio have any bearing on any forum activity?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has there ever been a discussion on the rating system before?

Does your positive/neutral/negative rating ratio have any bearing on any forum activity?
None that I'm aware of, in answer to both questions. I'd assume somewhere there's a thread where the rating system was introduced when the forum moved to Xenforo (I'm assuming Xenforo's rating system differs from whatever they were using before).

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
None that I'm aware of, in answer to both questions. I'd assume somewhere there's a thread where the rating system was introduced when the forum moved to Xenforo (I'm assuming Xenforo's rating system differs from whatever they were using before).

The xenforo rating system is pretty much standard with the majority of forum software, but the extent is chosen by whoever set up the forum.

There are more rating types available than are shown here, and some places choose to use less.

One forum I used to use, the ratings given were linked to a 'reputation' type thing - reputation got bad enough (too many negs) and you got automatically banned... I don't think that's a thing here though?

Sometimes I like getting negative ratings because it's all part of getting to know your fellow posters.

A 'disagree' or 'dislike' followed by a reason can lead into a very good and productive discussion.

A drive by rating (boom, I disagree and leave) can tell much about the person giving the rating too ;)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The xenforo rating system is pretty much standard with the majority of forum software, but the extent is chosen by whoever set up the forum.

There are more rating types available than are shown here, and some places choose to use less.

One forum I used to use, the ratings given were linked to a 'reputation' type thing - reputation got bad enough (too many negs) and you got automatically banned... I don't think that's a thing here though?

Sometimes I like getting negative ratings because it's all part of getting to know your fellow posters.

A 'disagree' or 'dislike' followed by a reason can lead into a very good and productive discussion.

A drive by rating (boom, I disagree and leave) can tell much about the person giving the rating too ;)
I wonder if it’s a percentage thing? If I’ve got 10 likes and someone dislikes something, I think it would have far more impact than if I had 100 or 1000 likes.

I was on a mountain bike forum several years back with the rep system. They had a meter near the person’s avatar. Pretty cool, for a second or two. I wasn’t around very long to find out if there were banning connections to it. I was just looking for some general info.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not in a tournament, but in a real fight have you kicked someone?

Training in the martial arts since the mid 70's as a young lad. Between military, body guard and now a Deputy for 28+ years I've had over a thousand uses-of-force against violent bad guys. I've never once kicked anyone. It's fun exercise, good conditioning and I train kicking (practical not tippy-tap acrobatic nonsense). But as far as practical defense and/or offense I have found better options. That's not to say kicking is useless. It can be quite effective in the right circumstances.

On the flip-side, I have had bad guys try to kick me. They found out I conditioned my legs and shins. Countering a kick is also quite effective and leads to excellent counter-measures.

Latest Discussions