Have you kicked someone in a fight.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Claiming to do what you're not is a problem for me, sure. But there are schools that don't make those claims, and teach excellent light-point sparring for competition, great movement, etc., without getting to much SD.

There are even schools that teach very good fighting, but don't get into dealing with an unexpected charge from an odd angle, etc. Their students are learning skills that can help in self-defense situations (I'd expect most MMA gyms fall in this category). I'm certainly not going to say that's not really MA.

I think some MA prepare you faster than others for fighting.
I think boxing is probably the fastest. One of the slowest, but a truly excellent Art is Aikido. Black belts who had started as children and were now in their 40's could handle anything I or my friend who was a very good boxer ,who almost made the all navy team, threw at them.
Well actually my friend did punch one of them. I could not believe the teacher did not even get mad, just said you have a fast punch.

I study Aikido for a year and there is no way I could defend myself using only Aikido in a bar fight, it takes years of training to develop that kind of skill. You have white belts and you have blacks and when you have a black belt, you have a real black belt, 7 to 10 years to earn Black belt. Those teacher were so different from my Kung Fu teacher.They were happy and friendly , nicest MA teacher I ever had.

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am in my 60's , you are probably right.

Your age is pretty much irrelevant. Age alone has little bearing.

Your physical condition can make it right, your attitude can make it right, your opinion of your own capability can make it right.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think some MA prepare you faster than others for fighting.
I think boxing is probably the fastest. One of the slowest, but a truly excellent Art is Aikido. Black belts who had started as children and were now in their 40's could handle anything I or my friend who was a very good boxer ,who almost made the all navy team, threw at them.
Well actually my friend did punch one of them. I could not believe the teacher did not even get mad, just said you have a fast punch.

I study Aikido for a year and there is no way I could defend myself using only Aikido in a bar fight, it takes years of training to develop that kind of skill. You have white belts and you have blacks and when you have a black belt, you have a real black belt, 7 to 10 years to earn Black belt. Those teacher were so different from my Kung Fu teacher.They were happy and friendly , nicest MA teacher I ever had.
That was a good Aikido school, then. Not all - in fact, I'd judge few, but that's based on a fairly small sampling - actually develop Aikidoka who can deal with good punches, unless they have other training (before or after). It's nice to hear there are some that still develop that.

I think the reason it takes so long for it to become useful is that it's done a bit backwards. In Daito-ryu, as I understand, the "aiki" is a layer of advanced application placed upon their jujutsu. In most of Aikido, they take a direct route to aiki application, without first developing the ability to apply without aiki. That development is a long path.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was in a Friday morning class just before Christmas. There was just me, a good blue belt and the instructor.
We were talking about kicks and the blue belt said he would not use a certain kick in a fight. I thought back to all the fights I had before getting married and gaining sense. I said , I have never kicked anyone in a fight.
The instructor listed off good reasons not to kick, tight pants , slipper floor, etc. I appreciated the support, but the real reason was instinct. It was mostly punching as fast as possible and slipping his punches. It does not make sense, When I spar I kick at least 60% of the time. So why in a real fight I always used my hands?

Not in a tournament, but in a real fight have you kicked someone?

I am happy with and enjoy striking MA , but
maybe boxing and a grabbing art like (judo, bjj , Alikdo) is a is a better answer for self defense?
I have. It was an oblique kick to the thigh. I was in the school changing rooms, and this guy I've had problems with was making fun of me. He suddenly tried to soccer kick me in the groin, but I caught his kick and lifted up to about torso height and slammed my foot onto his thigh (in an oblique kick manner). It wasn't really a fight it was a short altercation, he didn't bother me after that but I may have overreacted. He's fine, by the way.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have. It was an oblique kick to the thigh. I was in the school changing rooms, and this guy I've had problems with was making fun of me. He suddenly tried to soccer kick me in the groin, but I caught his kick and lifted up to about torso height and slammed my foot onto his thigh (in an oblique kick manner). It wasn't really a fight it was a short altercation, he didn't bother me after that but I may have overreacted. He's fine, by the way.
Of course he was fine...you kicked him in the thigh not flying kneed him in the head lol

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have. It was an oblique kick to the thigh. I was in the school changing rooms, and this guy I've had problems with was making fun of me. He suddenly tried to soccer kick me in the groin, but I caught his kick and lifted up to about torso height and slammed my foot onto his thigh (in an oblique kick manner). It wasn't really a fight it was a short altercation, he didn't bother me after that but I may have overreacted. He's fine, by the way.[/QUOTE g
getting a reputation for completely over reacting, isn't necessarily a bad thing, not that kicking someone who is trying to kick you is over reacting

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course he was fine...you kicked him in the thigh not flying kneed him in the head lol
I had my thigh muscle separated by a spinning side kick I stepped into. My leg was already posted on the floor by my own weight when the kick made contact. One of the worst hurts I remember. Took 3 months to fully rehab. Much worse than a broken rib. So, yes @Ivan 's kick can work very well.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I had my thigh muscle separated by a spinning side kick I stepped into. My leg was already posted on the floor by my own weight when the kick made contact. One of the worst hurts I remember. Took 3 months to fully rehab. Much worse than a broken rib. So, yes @Ivan 's kick can work very well.
Yes that's why I clarified that he was fine. I panicked a bit, after I kicked him, because I only remembered that I was only meant to use that technique in very bad situations until AFTER I had kicked him.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes that's why I clarified that he was fine. I panicked a bit, after I kicked him, because I only remembered that I was only meant to use that technique in very bad situations until AFTER I had kicked him.
who told you that? bad situations are fine as well, if it's a very bad situation you also stamp the groin

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Can we get back to the question.
Not in a tournament, not in theory, but in a real fight have you kicked someone?
I have landed kicks in every fight.
I fought a lot growing up and twice as an adult. Honestly, only about 10 serious unplanned fights in total counting since day 1 lol.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Other than long range kicking, advanced Martial kicking has a fairly large repotoire of close in kicks.

Also, countering getting your kick caught is one of the sweetest moves. Back in competition days the book on me by coaches to their fighters was “do not catch his kick, especially if he gives it to you”

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Other than long range kicking, advanced Martial kicking has a fairly large repotoire of close in kicks.

Also, countering getting your kick caught is one of the sweetest moves. Back in competition days the book on me by coaches to their fighters was “do not catch his kick, especially if he gives it to you”
Outstanding. Things are going right when the coaches are scouting you.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
If someone is bringing pressure, only a REALLY good kicker is likely to be able to use kicks effectively, because of the range, etc.
That depends. Some kicks such as knee strikes you can use in really close range and somebody who has good footwork will be able to position themselves to land good kicks.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That depends. Some kicks such as knee strikes you can use in really close range and somebody who has good footwork will be able to position themselves to land good kicks.
I agree with that - I don't tend to include them in "kicks". To me "punch" is something with a fist (anything else from the arm is still an "arm strike", which includes punches), and "kick" involves the foot or near-foot (as with a shin strike from a round kick), and all the others are "leg strikes", which include kicks and knees.