Five Martial Arts Principles

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really...hmm...the first thing I did was Irimi Nage the doctor for smacking me and spinning back kick (like Chuck Norris) the nurse for laughing :D
First thing I did was cry like a little baby. Because, well... I was a little baby.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a great explanation! I love it! We need more teachers like you.

I wish you could meet my dad - he explained solar system to me twirling Christmas tree ornaments around one another. Of course... you might not have much to say to each other, since he doesn't speak a word of English. :)
If he doesn’t speak Armenian, then we’ve really run out of options.

At least we could teach each other swear words and phrases. Hand gestures and drawings while laughing would help us get our point across. :)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope. Topics that aren't pure sciences can be discussed from many standpoints. We were discussing - not using anthropological terminology (and "catalyst" wouldn't be used as a chemical term in that context, anyway). We were discussing the usage of a word, debating what makes something a "cult" in common usage (not in any anthropological definition - I rather doubt there is one).

You're just playing word games now, because you don't like where the discussion went. You've done that before. It didn't work then, either.
no we were discussing the effect of war on human development and culture, no wonder your mixed up if you cant remember in which discussion you miss used the word catalyst

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did not come out of the womb with the in-born ability to juggle a soccer ball or do a hip throw. Nor with the ability to run 10 miles a day. All of those were developed.

If by "inseparable", you mean if I can't run (genetic issue), I can't run 10 miles, you're correct. If you mean the two concepts cannot be separated for discussion (being able to run 10 miles requires specific development for most people, while being able to run does not), then you are incorrect.
no, but you aren't your full adult height when you came out of the womb ether, unless your claiming that's not genetic either

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We discuss that too. Some people have a genetic disposition to be endurance athletes, some don’t. Look at the Kenyan marathon runners. But having the genes doesn’t guarantee anything either. It takes acquired skill. Even something as seemingly simple as running 26.1 miles (seemingly simple in the sense of strategy, not physically) takes significant acquired skill to be able to maximize one’s potential.

Here’s another one we discuss (in the older grades) - basketball. To be a truly elite player most often means height. Only one way to be 6’5” inches tall - genes. But how much Michael Jordan’s hand-eye coordination, kinesthetic awareness, strength, endurance, and all around basketball smarts are genetic vs acquired are a debate. I’m quite sure not everyone from that famous tribe in Kenya is a natural born marathon runner, nor has the genetic potential to be. There’s a lot to be said for the climate, altitude, and overall social support.

That conversation goes over 4th graders’ heads. I’ve tried. 7th-9th graders, not so much.
but it works either way round, either is a gift of genetics, or it is application of effort, which in its self is a gift of genetics.

its ALL genetics

some people are just lazy, but lazy can be good, its a lazy man who got tired of dragging things and invented the wheel, laziness has brought the human race a long way

Last edited:

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
If he doesn’t speak Armenian, then we’ve really run out of options.

At least we could teach each other swear words and phrases. Hand gestures and drawings while laughing would help us get our point across. :)
He speaks Russian and Ukrainian. The only words he knows in English are the ones he uses in question form with the international crews at his airport, "Fuel? Maintenance? Catering?"

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really...hmm...the first thing I did was Irimi Nage the doctor for smacking me and spinning back kick (like Chuck Norris) the nurse for laughing :D
True story - after almost dying at birth, I compensated by making "I am the boss" the first full sentence that came out of my mouth. :)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
We discuss that too. Some people have a genetic disposition to be endurance athletes, some don’t. Look at the Kenyan marathon runners. But having the genes doesn’t guarantee anything either. It takes acquired skill. Even something as seemingly simple as running 26.1 miles (seemingly simple in the sense of strategy, not physically) takes significant acquired skill to be able to maximize one’s potential.

Here’s another one we discuss (in the older grades) - basketball. To be a truly elite player most often means height. Only one way to be 6’5” inches tall - genes. But how much Michael Jordan’s hand-eye coordination, kinesthetic awareness, strength, endurance, and all around basketball smarts are genetic vs acquired are a debate. I’m quite sure not everyone from that famous tribe in Kenya is a natural born marathon runner, nor has the genetic potential to be. There’s a lot to be said for the climate, altitude, and overall social support.

That conversation goes over 4th graders’ heads. I’ve tried. 7th-9th graders, not so much.
My mom explained such things to me via musical analogies. Andrea Guarneri was, arguably, a better violin maker than his teacher Amati and Amati's other great student Stradivari. He had an impeccable pitch, the flawless sense for producing just the right resonance in the wood, and beautifully deft hands. He was also very clever and a fast learner.

BUT. He had no discipline. Something that could not be built-in genetically. He had no time for sitting there for hours refining some small detail that might transform the instrument's sound. He could not make himself experiment for months, seeking out various types of varnish, trying different ingredients, etc. Thus, he never established himself in a steady way and lacked money for superior materials to do his instruments justice. An occasional job with a well-paying patron gave us a glimpse of the heights he could have risen to. Sadly, only 250 of his instruments reached us.

His even more brilliant grandson Guiseppe Guarneri had an even shorter career, his often sloppily made instruments somehow still possessing brilliant sound. Guiseppe Guarneri's work was immortalized posthumously - Paganini owned several of his violins and always said they were his favorite.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no we were discussing the effect of war on human development and culture, no wonder your mixed up if you cant remember in which discussion you miss used the word catalyst
You drift all over the place in all of your debates. The effect of war wasn't the original point, nor the main point.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but it works either way round, either is a gift of genetics, or it is application of effort, which in its self is a gift of genetics.

its ALL genetics

some people are just lazy, but lazy can be good, its a lazy man who got tired of dragging things and invented the wheel, laziness has brought the human race a long way
So you're saying we're either genetically able to put forth an effort, or we aren't? You're lost, man.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You drift all over the place in all of your debates. The effect of war wasn't the original point, nor the main point.
that was the discussion in which you used the word catalyst, what went before or after doesn't change that matterial fact

your not even in the right thread for the cult discusion

Last edited:

Latest Discussions