Five Martial Arts Principles

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To those still duking it out with @Primal Monk! I opted to ignore him, and my quality of interchange here suddenly went up. :)
why do you feel the need to tell people who you are ignoring that you are ignoring them, they have either noticed or don't care or are grateful for the fact

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not disputing that, people miss used all sorts of words, it generaly causes me to correct them, but you were using it in a scientific context, which then rather requires the scientific use,
you can't discuss science, if people just keep making up their own scientific defintions
We've discussed this before. Words have the meaning people ascribe to them, not the other way around. Since the word is now commonly used also to refer to something that starts or leads to change (but isn't a part of the change process, itself), that's what it means in that usage.

And, no, I wasn't using it in a scientific context. I've no idea where you got that.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah, but where's the fun in that?
Oh, I don't know... There is no hope of education or enlightenment. We know he will learn nothing and understand nothing - due to sheer lack of interest in hearing anyone's opinion but his own and a firm belief the world should mold itself to his liking. Eventually, the fun of watching someone so persistently ignorant and impulsive bounce off the walls just wears thin.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
but its chemistry term you are using, it has no meaning outside of that arena , or perhaps any meaning if you insist on misuse

petrol is not a catalyst to air and fire, its part of the process .

war is not a catalyst for society and progress, it to Is part of the process

if you had called an agent of change, you would be correct,

There are 2 definitions for Catalyst in the Oxford Dictionary:

1. A substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without itself undergoing any permanent chemical change.

2. A person or thing that precipitates an event.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know... There is no hope of education or enlightenment. We know he will learn nothing and understand nothing - due to sheer lack of interest in hearing anyone's opinion but his own and a firm belief the world should mold itself to his liking. Eventually, the fun of watching someone so persistently ignorant and impulsive bounce off the walls just wears thin.
Can’t you say the same about a certain evil clown?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you believe that acquired athletic conditioning is inherited?

This is high school level biology.

This isn’t high school level biology. I teach grades 4-9 science (including high school biology). I actually taught this very concept to my 4th grade class this morning. They’re a very smart group, so I went there with it. I normally teach that in 5th grade, and 99% of them understand it pretty well. I start it with “if you dye your hair blonde, your kids won’t have blond hair because of it. If you get a nose-job, your kids won’t be born with that nose.” Then I progress to “if you do steroids and get as big as the Hulk, your kids won’t be mini-Hulks” and “if you start training for marathons, your kids won’t be born long distance runners.”

They get it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This isn’t high school level biology. I teach grades 4-9 science (including high school biology). I actually taught this very concept to my 4th grade class this morning. They’re a very smart group, so I went there with it. I normally teach that in 5th grade, and 99% of them understand it pretty well. I start it with “if you dye your hair blonde, your kids won’t have blond hair because of it. If you get a nose-job, your kids won’t be born with that nose.” Then I progress to “if you do steroids and get as big as the Hulk, your kids won’t be mini-Hulks” and “if you start training for marathons, your kids won’t be born long distance runners.”

They get it.
I was being generous.

Mostly because I have little memory of my science education prior to high school.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

They get it.
maybe your selling them short, a genetic ability to say run far, is quite likely to be past on, a strong healthy parent is likely to have a,strong healthy child, fat sickly parents generaly have fat sickly children.

there are peoples in the world that ether has a greater level of fitness genetically or a tendency to be good at certain events .

certainly dyed hair won't be passed on , but big muscles may well be

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
possibly because we were discussing anthropology, which comes under the general heading of science,
LOL, so anything that could possibly be placed loosely under a scientific heading must be a scientific discussion? That means all of martial arts falls under physics and psychology. That's just lunacy, man.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe your selling them short, a genetic ability to say run far, is quite likely to be past on, a strong healthy parent is likely to have a,strong healthy child, fat sickly parents generaly have fat sickly children.

there are peoples in the world that ether has a greater level of fitness genetically or a tendency to be good at certain events .

Genetic ability, yes. Acquired ability, no.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, so anything that could possibly be placed loosely under a scientific heading must be a scientific discussion? That means all of martial arts falls under physics and psychology. That's just lunacy, man.
well no, if your indeed discussing the mechanics of ma, then it is indeed a scientific discussion, just as the phycology of ma is a phycology discussion.

if you stay beyond those boundaries then you are discussing rumour, suposition and folk lore where an term can mean any thing you want and it all become meaning less, a bit like discussing religion

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well no, if your indeed discussing the mechanics of ma, then it is indeed a scientific discussion, just as the phycology of ma is a phycology discussion.

if you stay beyond those boundaries then you are discussing rumour, suposition and folk lore where an term can mean any thing you want and it all become meaning less, a bit like discussing religion
Nope. Topics that aren't pure sciences can be discussed from many standpoints. We were discussing - not using anthropological terminology (and "catalyst" wouldn't be used as a chemical term in that context, anyway). We were discussing the usage of a word, debating what makes something a "cult" in common usage (not in any anthropological definition - I rather doubt there is one).

You're just playing word games now, because you don't like where the discussion went. You've done that before. It didn't work then, either.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

They get it.
That's a great explanation! I love it! We need more teachers like you.

I wish you could meet my dad - he explained solar system to me twirling Christmas tree ornaments around one another. Of course... you might not have much to say to each other, since he doesn't speak a word of English. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the two are inseperable
I did not come out of the womb with the in-born ability to juggle a soccer ball or do a hip throw. Nor with the ability to run 10 miles a day. All of those were developed.

If by "inseparable", you mean if I can't run (genetic issue), I can't run 10 miles, you're correct. If you mean the two concepts cannot be separated for discussion (being able to run 10 miles requires specific development for most people, while being able to run does not), then you are incorrect.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

We discuss that too. Some people have a genetic disposition to be endurance athletes, some don’t. Look at the Kenyan marathon runners. But having the genes doesn’t guarantee anything either. It takes acquired skill. Even something as seemingly simple as running 26.1 miles (seemingly simple in the sense of strategy, not physically) takes significant acquired skill to be able to maximize one’s potential.

Here’s another one we discuss (in the older grades) - basketball. To be a truly elite player most often means height. Only one way to be 6’5” inches tall - genes. But how much Michael Jordan’s hand-eye coordination, kinesthetic awareness, strength, endurance, and all around basketball smarts are genetic vs acquired are a debate. I’m quite sure not everyone from that famous tribe in Kenya is a natural born marathon runner, nor has the genetic potential to be. There’s a lot to be said for the climate, altitude, and overall social support.

That conversation goes over 4th graders’ heads. I’ve tried. 7th-9th graders, not so much.