Finally found a practical application for the augmented outside block

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was sparring today, and figured the best way to avoid hurting my arms when I absorb a roundhouse kick is to block with me elbow. That's still not quite enough, so I put my other hand next to it as a support. As I was doing this, I realized it was an augmented outside block.

This technique has always confused me in the forms. Placing your hand to the side of your other elbow didn't really help much with the strength or leverage of a block with the hand or wrist. But it makes a lot of sense if you're reinforcing the elbow.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Same principle that

- 2 is stronger than 1.
- rhino guard is stronger than boxing guard.
- use hand to push your fist in an elbow strike is stronger than a plan elbow strike.

elbow-strike.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was sparring today, and figured the best way to avoid hurting my arms when I absorb a roundhouse kick is to block with me elbow. That's still not quite enough, so I put my other hand next to it as a support. As I was doing this, I realized it was an augmented outside block.

This technique has always confused me in the forms. Placing your hand to the side of your other elbow didn't really help much with the strength or leverage of a block with the hand or wrist. But it makes a lot of sense if you're reinforcing the elbow.
I'm not sure which block you are referring to, but it's good to see people work the techniques and putting the pieces together.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm picturing something akin to a standard knife-hand block (could be closed-hand, too) with the other hand touching the elbow. Is that about right?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It is also a sneaky way to slow down an opponent in tourney sparring. Catching a roundhouse or front kick with a well placed/well supported elbow to the instep is very effective. ;)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's this technique, chudan morote uchi uke in karate-land (the faceless dude however... CREEPS ME OUT!).

And if so... I never thought of that application! Cool beans!
733a8cc108bd859c6b23630424ebeb23.gif

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm picturing something akin to a standard knife-hand block (could be closed-hand, too) with the other hand touching the elbow. Is that about right?
Agree. Pretty much any block that is getting support from the other arm. Most often down with outside blocks since it is a more natural support.
@Kung Fu Wang 's picture is a great variant.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Same principle that

- 2 is stronger than 1.
- rhino guard is stronger than boxing guard.
- use hand to push your fist in an elbow strike is stronger than a plan elbow strike.

elbow-strike.jpg

I've heard the term "rhino guard" used a lot, but I still don't know what it is. Whenever I try googling it, I just get pictures of cartoon rhinos in armor with halberds.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's this technique, chudan morote uchi uke in karate-land (the faceless dude however... CREEPS ME OUT!).

And if so... I never thought of that application! Cool beans!
733a8cc108bd859c6b23630424ebeb23.gif
Okay, so literally the block I call "outside block".

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, so literally the block I call "outside block".

The right arm in the gif is an outside block. The left arm supporting the elbow makes it an "augmented" outside block.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard the term "rhino guard" used a lot, but I still don't know what it is. Whenever I try googling it, I just get pictures of cartoon rhinos in armor with halberds.
It's @Kung Fu Wang's own invention, as I understand it. Variations of the idea exist elsewhere, but I've not seen it taught the way he uses it. Here's my understanding: make a double-fist (hands clenched together) and put it between you and your opponent as an extended guard. Now use it for guard, cover, and beating him about the head. :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The right arm in the gif is an outside block. The left arm supporting the elbow makes it an "augmented" outside block.
Yes. I just hadn't realized my terminology matched anyone else's for that. I borrowed the block from somewhere (maybe Tang Soo Do?), and added it to my early curriculum. I had no name for it (or the alternate), so I named it "outside block" (and the alternate "inside block").

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's @Kung Fu Wang's own invention, as I understand it. Variations of the idea exist elsewhere, but I've not seen it taught the way he uses it. Here's my understanding: make a double-fist (hands clenched together) and put it between you and your opponent as an extended guard. Now use it for guard, cover, and beating him about the head. :D

Sounds like the fighting style used a lot in Star Trek: TNG.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on that?
On a very simple aspect... You showed, not long ago, a video demonstrating what you call 'clinching' where the opponent is holding their arms entrapping you inside their arms.
Using that as a starting point. When in such a position turn slightly to one side and use the Morote-Uke or “Augmented Block” to push them away from you.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like the fighting style used a lot in Star Trek: TNG.
It's basically an extended boxing guard with the hands clenched at the end. In his demonstrations he shows it to be fairly effective against hook punches, but it leaves you without any offense.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's good for one is not always good for another.

If I'm sparring and my opponent purposely blocks my roundhouse kick with an elbow, oh man, he' going to catch hell from me.

D

Deleted member 34973

Interesting, in Kwon Bup, this technique is used as a throw as well as a push block. I do not have time now, but, later I will right a description of the way we perform this technique.

Latest Discussions