Fighting a stronger opponent

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What style do you practice? When you say "tools" or "ideas", do you mean techniques, moves, or weapons? Your questions are very broad and if you could clarify what you want to know, we can give more useful answers.

- Ceicei

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most styles have techniques that will work better against someone larger than you. The best technique that I've found that most have in common is conflict avoidance. Barring that, CeiCei has hit the proverbial nail on the head. Narrow down your question and then we can each give our OPINION of what would work. I'm an aikido-ka so my suggestions would be much different than say, a kenpoist and theirs would be different from someone who studies arnis. Best of luck.

OP
O

OC Kid

Walking away is always the best technique.

OP

walking away should be tried first, if that dont work, focus on the joints and pressure points. Or you could try getting in close with a flurry of shots and then backing off. maybe if one of these happen to work the opponent will not want to contiue the fight. And if that dosent work consider running really fast.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
THE BIG EVIL said:
Can anybooy give me any Tool,s Or ideas how I can beat a Bigger stronger opponent .

Thanks

Well assuming you are talking about self defense and not some sort of sport or other "I'll meet you behind the building" type of nonsense. Hit hard, hit first, and hit them were it hurts (vital targets; throat, eyes, and etc.).

Also, you should note that you won't find the magic tech on the forum. Only proper training will do that.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hit hard, hit first, and hit them were it hurts (vital targets; throat, eyes, and etc.).

I agree. I don't care how strong you are, the eyes, throat, temple, etc. can not really be strengthened. You have to strike fast, hard, and mercillessly.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Avoid the abdomen if possible. Too easy to make that strong. Better to contact the face, temple, eyes, groin, thigh, or knee. Everyone's head is the same, and you can do some real damage if you attack the knee joint and surrounding cartilage, especially from the side.

OP
M

muaythaifreak

A lot of people claim that size does not matter. That unfortunately is just not so. I was attacked by a monster of a man in a bar in Charlotte and although I have been studying muay thai for many years, he shrugged off my best attempts at showing him how hard I can hit. I'm 6 ft tall 190 lbs this guy was at least 6'7" probably 280 or better. I finally did come out on top, but I did not enjoy myself doing it. If I had not had my Muay Thai training, he would have devoured me with pure brute strength. But he liked to clinch, or at least he used to like to clinch. I doubt he's quite as fond of it as he used to be. However, all the punches and elbows to the head did nothing but make him bleed. What finally stopped him were the knees to the ribcage. He was not breathing so well when all was said and done. I guess some people can just take a beating to the head better than others, may have something to do with bone structure or something. All I know is that the first elbow I threw opened his eye really well. He just got angrier at it. It probably would have taken the fight out of most people, would have ko'd a lot of people. Bigger guys have an advantage, but they are not invincible. By the way, I am not in the habit of getting into bar fights, this was unavoidable and escalated to physical force despite my best efforts at deescalation. He just wanted to fight someone and he picked me. I hope it never happens again, I really do not enjoy hurting people. Nor do I enjoy getting hurt, and I did not walk away unscathed by any means. Plus now I may end up in court over it. Probably will.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Pepper Spray works pretty well.
So do sticks, stones, arrows, guns.... technology and ingenuity developed through history because of just such a necessity. How do you deal with a stronger business opponent? Improve your production, customer service.... all technology. How do you deal with a stronger job candidate opponent? Focus the attention on your passion, cooperation/teamwork skills, bring up your sense of work ethic and desire for personal best....

The basic tenet is be smarter. This even holds true for military doctrine. If you are facing a stronger (numerical superiority, firepower superiority) opponent you rely on tactics and not strength. Guerilla warfare, insurgency, strategic targeting, supply lines, ambushes.... Sounds like the same basic mentallity of the individual artist when facing the stronger fighter - smarts and skill. Strength is a big dea if you let it be. Otherwise it is just one of the characterstics of the enemy just like speed, skill, endurance....

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Pops used to say "Poke 'im in da eye, kick 'im in the knackles, and punch 'im in the face." Seems like common sense to me. I prefer to see what is around exhaust all reasonable non-violent options and then take Dad's advice, but replace the punch with a palm strike to save my knuckles.

OP
B

Baytor

To paraphrase the horrible movie "Roadhouse":

"Be nice until it's time to not be nice."
"I doesn't matter how big a guy is if you take out his knees."

I wish I remembered important stuff the way I can remember stupid crap like movie quotes...would have had better grades in college.
:shrug:

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I were forced to fight a stronger person I think I would probably go for the throat, eyes, groin and knees and shins. But I would have to make sure I am faster than he is and that he can't touch me! I'm only 5'7 about 150 pounds but it is possible to defeat a stronger opponent, you just have to think more intelligent than him.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It also depends on what you mean by fighting. If you mean free fighting, strong guys tend to be slower because they want to contact you hard, and consequently tighten up more. Tend to be anyway. Obviously you don't want to contact a classmate in the groin or eyes. I have found a couple of things that work for me:
1. Work on speed and distance-be so fast that he has a hard time touching you and stay out of his range.
2. Work on defense. Let him attack first, get back out of his range and draw him off balnce, then attack before he can recover
3. Target his head. He may have abs and arms of steel, but his head and face are the same as yours. Years ago, I sparred a guy who weighed about 500 pounds. Any stomach shot to him would just bounce off. He did a front kick, I countered with a back roundhouse that caught his temple. The fight was over. Fortunately he was a nice guy about it.
For self defense, I follow the philosophy that there will always be a target open, regardless of how he positions himself. If his are up, attack his knee or groin. Do not fight him directly, practice evading and then attacking available targets.
For example, in close attack the eyes, throat, nose. Headbutt if necessary. You can also knee the groin. Be careful though-most guys will instictually protect that area. The inner and outer thigh works well too.

bluenosekenpo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
IamBaytor said:
To paraphrase the horrible movie "Roadhouse":

"Be nice until it's time to not be nice."
"I doesn't matter how big a guy is if you take out his knees."

I wish I remembered important stuff the way I can remember stupid crap like movie quotes...would have had better grades in college.
:shrug:

I've never known anyone that could actually quote from Roadhouse. Scary. ;)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stay out of his line of attack, while keeping yourself in line to attack.

:)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bluenosekenpo said:
I've never known anyone that could actually quote from Roadhouse. Scary. ;)
HAha, me and my old roomate from college can actually hold full conversations with quotes from Roadhouse!

OK, your right...very scary!!

7sm

OP
B

Baytor

I like to think that being scary like that is a good way to keep larger opponents from attacking.:)

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
THE BIG EVIL said:
Can anybooy give me any Tool,s Or ideas how I can beat a Bigger stronger opponent .

Thanks
Learn martial arts. We all practice martial arts so we are able to beat a bigger, stronger opponent.

Latest Discussions