Fighting a stronger opponent

rompida

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Littledragon said:
Hey I am on your side to becaus I am a 4x international TKD champion as well so for 11 years I have been trained in kicking. All I am saying is that IF you are ever in the ground which 95% of all street fights end up at it would be smart to know some grappling.

;)

I think he was just giving us his background to emphasize that he wouldn't want to go to the ground either. But I do agree littledragon, that it is VERY smart to know some grappling. I just wouldn't be in a hurry to grapple with a big guy. Having the knowledge doesn't mean you should rush to use it.

I'd still like to hear from some more big guys. Come on, where's all you 6 foot, 250+ lb guys?? Please enlighten us.

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
rompida said:
Well, I agree that you don't want to go shot for shot with a big dude. That's why I said footwork. Evade, and like you said, if you can get behind him, then I might go for a grapple situation. But not head to head grappling. I think if you are a small to average build, you should be using technique and speed against the muscle.

Personally, I'd be interested in hearing what more of you big guys think. What has worked against you? What ranges are you most UNcomfortable fighting in? Anyone????
No, you're missing my point. There's two kinds of big, "fat" and "muscled".

VS. Fatty, you can strike

VS. Muscly you definetely wanna take him down.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
mcjon77 said:
Here are some things that I have learned from almost always BEING the bigger, stronger, opponent. It is a little long, but bear with me:

My fighting strategy was usually to let my opponent come to me (if I chase him my size becomes a disadvantage, as I am usually slower than him and tire more easily). Once they come in for a commited attack, I attack as well to close the distance and grab hold of them. I relied on the fact that I could do one and two step lunges much faster than my opponent would expect, and I have very long arms. I may usually take a punch or a strike on the way in, but one is almost never enough to stop me, unless they were hitting a vital area. Even then, if shook just shake off the pain and let rage and momentum carry me, I can still come out on top.

Body shots don't really bother me unless the person is hitting some kind of nerve or pressure point. Head shots worked better in that it put me more on the defensive.

I've heard a few people mentioning taking the opponent to the ground to neutralize his size and strength advantage. I don't know the theory behind this, but from my personal experience, this is usually a really bad idea. People seem to think that with some ground fighting training they can take out a bigger much easier. This is true ONLY if he has had virtually no ground training. The problem is that a larger, stronger person needs to learn MUCH MUCH less grappling to be able to completely neutralize a smaller person.

One of the things that got me interested in jujitsu was when I went to check out a class and a 120 lb female student asked to grapple with me. I probably outweighed her by about 150lbs, but because I had never been exposed to chokes, when she slapped one on I had no idea what to do and was tapped out easily. By the way, I thought it was great that she could do this, it let me know that there was something here to learn. However, after the instructor showed me how to tuck in my chin to keep from getting choked out, and how to curl my arm to counter arm locks as well as a few basic positions (which took a total of MAYBE 2 or 3 classes to learn) even he had an extremely hard time submitting me.

The two biggest advantages a smaller opponent had over me was his speed and endurance. Taking me to the ground (or should I say, allowing me to go to the ground :wink1: ) pretty much threw both of those advantages out of the window. On the ground his speed means almost nothing (unless he is a REALLY good grappler) and If I wind up on top, he is going to expend a ton more energy than me trying to gain position.

In multiple situations, when I thought my opponent was trying to take me down I wouldn't resist. Rather I would use my energy and weight to "help" him take me down (usually with greater speed and force than he was expecting or could handle) and focus on falling into a top position. From there I could rest while my opponent struggles. I could use whatever locks or strikes that I wanted to finish it.

So what do you think? I hope this helps you guys.
Jon
As I am almost always the smaller opponent, since no other women in my school come to sparring (miss you, KM!), I read your post with great interest. I, too, was taught technique, technique, technique in sparring initially and most times it serves me well in sparring. In a real life situation - your groin to bring your head down, attack your head - gouge your eyes, whatever presents itself, your Adam's Apple (yes, that hurts, doesn't it.) In short, all the nasties we are taught in kenpo which nice girls don't do -- unless you are a threat to me. Going to the ground? You'd be by yourself -- I'd be long gone and hopefully you'd be writhing in pain and/or unconscious by then.

Thanks for the pointers. Hope I never ever have to use them. :asian: KT

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
What exactly does being a 4-time international Tae Kwon Do champion have to do with knowing effective self defense? Aside from the fact that you stated you were 16 years old. Therefore, you were a TKD champ internationally younger than 16 years old. What tournaments were these exactly and who were they through? I know there are many Tae Kwon Do Junior championships, and these are hardly demonstrations of effective self defense or fighting. It is young kids sparring under carefully controlled rules and conditions.
You also stated you trained in kicking for 11 years. That means you were practicing kicking as a 6 year old. No offense, but that's not really impressive. A 6 year old approaches martial arts as a game. Ain't too many 6 year old kids with impressive kicks.
Finally, you know 95% of fights end up on the ground. How exactly do you know this? Do you get into fights regularly? Do you hang out in bars?
Easy there. He's just a kid.:asian:

As impressive as tkd kicks are when done correctly and proficiently, if I were you Little Dragon, I'd try to avoid the fight and live to tell the tale. It's simply not worth it.

OP
L

Littledragon

MichiganTKD said:
What exactly does being a 4-time international Tae Kwon Do champion have to do with knowing effective self defense? Aside from the fact that you stated you were 16 years old. Therefore, you were a TKD champ internationally younger than 16 years old. What tournaments were these exactly and who were they through? I know there are many Tae Kwon Do Junior championships, and these are hardly demonstrations of effective self defense or fighting. It is young kids sparring under carefully controlled rules and conditions.
You also stated you trained in kicking for 11 years. That means you were practicing kicking as a 6 year old. No offense, but that's not really impressive. A 6 year old approaches martial arts as a game. Ain't too many 6 year old kids with impressive kicks.
Finally, you know 95% of fights end up on the ground. How exactly do you know this? Do you get into fights regularly? Do you hang out in bars?
First of all from Police Records and since I am friends with the chief of Police in Rockville Maryland I asked the same thing, it is a PURE 100% FACT that ALL STREET FIGHTS end up on thr GROUND 95% of the time. Also yes in olympic TKD we do wear pads but in the black belt division it is full contact. I have won the Pan American Open twice which is countries from all over the world mainly the PAN AM region like Brazil, Argentina, etc.. I have won two others which I stated before in my introduction thread. Second when you sau their are alot of Junior champions and that is hardly demonstrating effective self defense, duh! Its a sport! Thats why I am training in Vale Tudo and sparring in the dojo against MMA fighters preparing to compete when I turn 17. I learn other arts such as BJJ and Aikido and JKD so I can know how to defend my self properly in a street situation. Also when I spar with no pads we go full contact so we are able to take hits so we can feel comfortable and not be so shocked if we get hit on the street.
I don't know what you have against me but it sounds like you are the one who needs to learn his stuff. I believe that you are so confident in your ONE style that you think it is superior against every one else's no offense but I really don't appreciate it you bashing me every time because of my age.

That means you were practicing kicking as a 6 year old. No offense, but that's not really impressive. A 6 year old approaches martial arts as a game.

It aint a game for me anymore, I aint 6 anymore.

OP
L

Littledragon

kenpo tiger said:
Easy there. He's just a kid.:asian:

As impressive as tkd kicks are when done correctly and proficiently, if I were you Little Dragon, I'd try to avoid the fight and live to tell the tale. It's simply not worth it.
Thank you I agree with you. Martial arts teaches one to avoid fights so I don't understand why I have to be in a street fight in order to get people's respect. Being involved in street fights when one can run away or avoid them is not displaying true martial arts.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

Well people from my studies around the martial arts world there is only one thing to say when going aganist a bigger and stronger opponent.

"Oh my God he has a gun!!! RUN!!" Equalizers are just that equalizing the chances of surviving the violent confrontation. Seriously Folks if you are in the need to fight a bigger opponent I suggest training under George Dillman. He teaches one touch knockouts. That would get the attention of a bunch of hoods lol.

"HEY! He just took out Jimmy!!" Once you knock out the biggest dude near ya and then pull out your weapon because they will certainly be pulling thiers.

However if possible Knock the biggest dude out and all the others see is the dust cloud after you turned 180 degrees and did your Jesse Owens impression is even better.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hedgehogey said:
Do NOT do dillman's stuff. It is BS.
NO Dillman stuff is not BS, it is proven effective, now BJJ great for tournaments, but just because you can win the UFC, Pride etc. does not make it street effective. Do you know any of the Gracies if so ask about George Dillman and many of them can attest to his stuff working.

PPKO

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
Well people from my studies around the martial arts world there is only one thing to say when going aganist a bigger and stronger opponent.

"Oh my God he has a gun!!! RUN!!" Equalizers are just that equalizing the chances of surviving the violent confrontation. Seriously Folks if you are in the need to fight a bigger opponent I suggest training under George Dillman. He teaches one touch knockouts. That would get the attention of a bunch of hoods lol.

"HEY! He just took out Jimmy!!" Once you knock out the biggest dude near ya and then pull out your weapon because they will certainly be pulling thiers.

However if possible Knock the biggest dude out and all the others see is the dust cloud after you turned 180 degrees and did your Jesse Owens impression is even better.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser
George is a great teacher and in my oppinion one of the all time greats go to a seminar and make your own decision about him. George has many tapes and books related on PP's at www.dillman.com if you would like to know more about him. I put my trust in him and any of his students before I would many people. Most of his students have also trained with the late Remy Presas, and Wally Jay.

PPKO

OP
L

Littledragon

ppko said:
NO Dillman stuff is not BS, it is proven effective, now BJJ great for tournaments, but just because you can win the UFC, Pride etc. does not make it street effective. Do you know any of the Gracies if so ask about George Dillman and many of them can attest to his stuff working.

PPKO
UFC and Pride is the closest competition to a street fight.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Littledragon said:
First of all from Police Records and since I am friends with the chief of Police in Rockville Maryland I asked the same thing, it is a PURE 100% FACT that ALL STREET FIGHTS end up on thr GROUND 95% of the time. Also yes in olympic TKD we do wear pads but in the black belt division it is full contact. I have won the Pan American Open twice which is countries from all over the world mainly the PAN AM region like Brazil, Argentina, etc.. I have won two others which I stated before in my introduction thread. Second when you sau their are alot of Junior champions and that is hardly demonstrating effective self defense, duh! Its a sport! Thats why I am training in Vale Tudo and sparring in the dojo against MMA fighters preparing to compete when I turn 17. I learn other arts such as BJJ and Aikido and JKD so I can know how to defend my self properly in a street situation. Also when I spar with no pads we go full contact so we are able to take hits so we can feel comfortable and not be so shocked if we get hit on the street.
I don't know what you have against me but it sounds like you are the one who needs to learn his stuff. I believe that you are so confident in your ONE style that you think it is superior against every one else's no offense but I really don't appreciate it you bashing me every time because of my age.

That means you were practicing kicking as a 6 year old. No offense, but that's not really impressive. A 6 year old approaches martial arts as a game.

It aint a game for me anymore, I aint 6 anymore.
Do your parents know you train in Vale Tudo? If I were a parent, I would be very nervous if my kids were training in something like this.
Second, I don't have anything against your age. We all started somewhere. I do tend to see you as a bit of a know-it-all. Just my opinion. As a 16 year old kid, you have just started to live your life, much less lay claim to any sort of experience. I'm not saying you are totally inexperienced, just not the world-wise professional you claim to be sometimes.

OP
L

Littledragon

MichiganTKD said:
Do your parents know you train in Vale Tudo? If I were a parent, I would be very nervous if my kids were training in something like this.
Second, I don't have anything against your age. We all started somewhere. I do tend to see you as a bit of a know-it-all. Just my opinion. As a 16 year old kid, you have just started to live your life, much less lay claim to any sort of experience. I'm not saying you are totally inexperienced, just not the world-wise professional you claim to be sometimes.
I know I am no wear near a world wise professional and never claimed that I was. Also yes my mom does know I train in Vale Tudo.

I respect your opinion as if every one else's lets try to cool down and be cool with eachother.

Tarek

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well Tarek,

Although I admire your dedication to training, I can only "be cool" to you to a certain extent. Not because I don't respect your right to practice, but because you are approximately 20 years younger than me. We are simply on different levels. Despite what you may think, we are not equals. I am not pulling an ego trip by the way, but you are a teenage kid, and I am an adult with adult responsibilities, which you will also have eventually.
I am not demanding you respect me-respect must be earned. However, realize that it's never going to be "I respect you as a fellow and equal Tae Kwon Do practitioner". We are not equals-you are 20 years my junior and I treat you as such.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Littledragon said:
UFC and Pride is the closest competition to a street fight.
Yes I agree to a certain extent, but there are rules there are no friends to help out either side and no chance of weapons. You do not have to worry about taking someone to the ground in these competitions because there are no friends around.

PPKO

P.S. I have plenty of aquantances that are or have fought in the UFC Dan Severn, and Rich Franklin for instance.

OP
L

Littledragon

ppko said:
Yes I agree to a certain extent, but there are rules there are no friends to help out either side and no chance of weapons. You do not have to worry about taking someone to the ground in these competitions because there are no friends around.

PPKO

P.S. I have plenty of aquantances that are or have fought in the UFC Dan Severn, and Rich Franklin for instance.
Very cool.

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD: Considering that you believe in mystical tiger auras, you have no right to be so obnoxious and patronizing to littledragon.

PPKO: Dillman is a fraud, and the thousands of MMA events where "pressure point strikes" are legal just prove me right. Digging up links on this now.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hedgehogey said:
MichiganTKD: Considering that you believe in mystical tiger auras, you have no right to be so obnoxious and patronizing to littledragon.

PPKO: Dillman is a fraud, and the thousands of MMA events where "pressure point strikes" are legal just prove me right. Digging up links on this now.
And how will that prove that Dillman is a fraud I know GM Dillman and have trained with him on several ocassions and I currently train with one of his top three I know that he is not a fraud and there is no proof that you can show that will prove otherwise

PPKO

OP
K

Kevin Walker

Bruce Lee maintained that eyestrikes were the quickest way to end a fight, against anybody! He also said to use a gun as a weapon of choice.

In fact, modern jiu-jitsu in Japan incorporates an automatic pistol as part of jiu-jitsu's repertoire of weapons (no more juttes or tonfas, etc.).

Latest Discussions