Questioning your beliefs in the ma's.

bluenosekenpo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
About 5 months ago some things happened in my life that made me seriously question what i was doing and what i wanted from the martial arts. i started a journey seeking the truth. i decided to be completely open to ideas and concepts. to that end, i bought various tapes of different styles from different masters. the following three, are the ones that profoundly changed my attitudes, and the way i am learning the martial arts. this would not have been possible without video tapes and the internet, yes i can remember life without them both. to me these are must haves for your(my) developement, they have changed my life, (corney but true)

1) Larry Tatum-When Kenpo Stikes, demonstrates the true depth and meaning of Kenpo
2) Paul Vunak-An excellent intro to JKD and the FMA's, from what i've seen probably the fastest and most dangerous man alive.
3) Dog Brothers-you just have to see it.

Keep in mind i had a judo/wrestling/tracys kenpo background.What tapes, instructors or situations have made the most profound chage for you? regards. :asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
bluenosekenpo said:
About 5 months ago some things happened in my life that made me seriously question what i was doing and what i wanted from the martial arts. i started a journey seeking the truth. i decided to be completely open to ideas and concepts. to that end, i bought various tapes of different styles from different masters. the following three, are the ones that profoundly changed my attitudes, and the way i am learning the martial arts. this would not have been possible without video tapes and the internet, yes i can remember life without them both. to me these are must haves for your(my) developement, they have changed my life, (corney but true)

I wouldnt say that its corney at all. In fact, if at any time in your training, you have a positive exp. from someone else, that IMO, is a great learning step!!! There is so much to learn from others and its a shame that some people dont see that.

1) Larry Tatum-When Kenpo Stikes, demonstrates the true depth and meaning of Kenpo

I've seen a few of his tapes. The man definately knows Kenpo!

2) Paul Vunak-An excellent intro to JKD and the FMA's, from what i've seen probably the fastest and most dangerous man alive.

Paul is awesome!!! Definately separates fact from fiction.

3) Dog Brothers-you just have to see it.

Those guys have some serious b*** to do what they do. It takes alot to stickfight full contact with very little gear on. An eye opener to whats gonna work and whats not gonna work in a stickfight.

Mike

OP
B

bluenosekenpo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
I wouldnt say that its corney at all. In fact, if at any time in your training, you have a positive exp. from someone else, that IMO, is a great learning step!!! There is so much to learn from others and its a shame that some people dont see that.

Mike

hi mike, obviously i've got way too much time on my hands to reply this quickly but what made a profound difference to you. i'm interested, and open to any and all input. regards :asian: .

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
bluenosekenpo said:
hi mike, obviously i've got way too much time on my hands to reply this quickly but what made a profound difference to you. i'm interested, and open to any and all input. regards :asian: .

I've been grappling and doing the FMA for a while, so naturally, anything related to the subject is going to peak my interest. As for the BJJ....never really knew much about it until the UFC. It was around that time that I was fortunate enough to find someone in my area that had some grappling experience. The Kenpo....Larry Tatum spent quite a bit on time with Parker, and obviously it shows. Check out the TOW that he has on his site. Its amazing as to the fine points that he brings up.

Mike

OP
B

bluenosekenpo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
I've been grappling and doing the FMA for a while, so naturally, anything related to the subject is going to peak my interest. As for the BJJ....never really knew much about it until the UFC. It was around that time that I was fortunate enough to find someone in my area that had some grappling experience. The Kenpo....Larry Tatum spent quite a bit on time with Parker, and obviously it shows. Check out the TOW that he has on his site. Its amazing as to the fine points that he brings up.

Mike

The TOW's are basically the concepts from the videos, excellent intro though. Have you checked out the Gracie site?

http://www.bjj.org/

Excellent media there. check out the us wrestling site, that's good too, don't have the link handy though. enjoy, regards.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank-you. I'll be spending some money there.
icon14.gif

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
bluenosekenpo said:
The TOW's are basically the concepts from the videos, excellent intro though. Have you checked out the Gracie site?

http://www.bjj.org/

Excellent media there. check out the us wrestling site, that's good too, don't have the link handy though. enjoy, regards.

Thanks for the link! Looks like some good stuff!! Roy Harris also has some techs. on his site that are pretty good as well.

Mike

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you for the link. I had been there previously, but it wasn't really clear-cut in what color order judo uses. It gave a lot of history/background though. It did say the judokas had to learn certain things before moving up through the ranks, but doesn't specify whether its through testing of their knowledge or if simply upon learning and using them in a competitive environment. I do know that some judo schools are sports oriented.

Basically, I was hoping for some more direct answers.

- Ceicei

OP
B

bluenosekenpo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Thank you for the link. I had been there previously, but it wasn't really clear-cut in what color order judo uses. It gave a lot of history/background though. It did say the judokas had to learn certain things before moving up through the ranks, but doesn't specify whether its through testing of their knowledge or if simply upon learning and using them in a competitive environment. I do know that some judo schools are sports oriented.

Basically, I was hoping for some more direct answers.

- Ceicei

??????????????????? don't recall a judo link. did you post in the wrong thread? if you want a good judo link, here you go. enjoy, train hard.

http://judoinfo.com/menu.shtml

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
bluenosekenpo said:
??????????????????? don't recall a judo link. did you post in the wrong thread? if you want a good judo link, here you go. enjoy, train hard.

http://judoinfo.com/menu.shtml

Yes, I posted my reply to the wrong thread. I apologize for the confusion. My reply was supposed to go to the "judo rank system" thread. I had two windows open on my computer and wasn't paying attention to which thread I was replying.

I am a green belt in american kenpo who is crosstraining with judo and my first judo class is tonight. I've been doing research on and off about judo, but I suppose until I actually start doing judo tonight, I won't get all my questions answered before first class.

I apologize again for interrupting your thread with something that doesn't belong there.

- Ceicei

OP
B

bluenosekenpo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Shinzu said:
those guys have issues..... and crazy to boot!

My kind of crazy. :) i've always thought of them as the Jesuits of the martial arts. I mean that as a compliment. i don't know if i'd take it as far as them but i understand what they are trying to do. i guess the question is, will you learn more from point sparring and katas or getting into a fight with someone who's trying to take your head off? i think the latter would cut through the b/s pretty quickly and show you what works and what doesn't. this would apply to weaponless ma's too.

i appreciate the commentary on the links i posted , but what i'm really looking for is your input. have you reevaluated yourself? your art? are there videos that turned your training around? is there a person? share. regards :asian:

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly blue, I don't feel like I've trained enough to get to that point, though I would really like to do some all out sparring to sort of "test" myself. I need that validation right now. But not with the sticks, yet.

OP
B

bluenosekenpo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Honestly blue, I don't feel like I've trained enough to get to that point, though I would really like to do some all out sparring to sort of "test" myself. I need that validation right now. But not with the sticks, yet.

i hear you, i'm currently recuperating from an abdominal tear (caused in part from a tracy kenpo drawbridge), a slightly torn acl (f***ed up back kick,still not sure how that happened), and worst of all, i'm over 40 :( , but i'd suggest that you could scale the realism to your level. personally i don't know if i'd ever go that hardcore, but the principles and putting it on the line is still where i want to end up. whether with pads or not, empty handed or with sticks, i'll keep an open mind and try it once, i might like it! train hard. :asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keep in mind i had a judo/wrestling/tracys kenpo background.What tapes, instructors or situations have made the most profound chage for you? regards.

I was very lucky to have fallen into good instructors who kept things in perspective for me. I own very few videos, and the books and videos I have are for the purposes of seeing what is out there rather then for actual training. Internet, although I spend to much time on it, has only been a vehicle for discussion, but has not profoundly changed me, not by itself.

Now, for some who may not be as lucky as me to have good instructors and influences available to them, video and internet may be a good outlet.

:asian:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
bluenosekenpo said:
About 5 months ago some things happened in my life that made me seriously question what i was doing and what i wanted from the martial arts. i started a journey seeking the truth.

I don't know what happened in your life but what happened in mine regarding martial arts was a turning point and actually I had quit for three weeks. I had come to trust my master instructor. For me, at this point in my life, trust does not come about easily, in fact, hardly at all. I tend to wait and see if they earn my trust by passing a few tests. I may be a hard case. So, you come to trust and respect your master who professes honesty, truth, integrity and that a reputation is everything as a teacher. In fact, you discuss this at many times, in testings, questions to the students and in class, hypotheticals-what would you do's.

So what happens when this same teacher of these standards, breaks your trust, deceives you and your family with an underlying agenda, lies to you, breaks a promise, causes harm to a great deal of people and does not acknowledge that he did that to you or anybody else? Is your faith in the martial arts tenets/morals and persons/friends of influence in your life, shaken? How can you trust anything that comes from this person? What if you are veritably alone in this -- you are the only one who knows what happened and the fellow students that do, also profess integrity yet put their heads in the ground to save their standing or advance it.

As much as I try to forgive and forget because everyone is human, my instructor keeps reminding me that he is not the person to be a master teaching others in MA. Especially at testing when I sit there and he expounds on the importance of integrity in everyone else and doesn't look at his own house. But his integrity is something, I cannot do anything about. I can only pray for him and live my life doing MA with a conviction in my own values yet knowing I am not perfect either. At least, I am there for others. I have my own goals and I will seek my own path in TKD. And while it would be nice to have a mentor, or even a guide, that is not possible now.

So whatever that has shaken you, I believe was done for a reason. I know, now, that I was not on the right path. Your path will hopefully lead you, also, to a better outcome. May God Bless You.

Latest Discussions