Fighting a stronger opponent

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do NOT attempt to kick his face, nuts or knees. The former is dangerous, the latter are unreliable (excepting the knees if he's very fat).

Best advice? Train hard. Spar full contact. Lift weights. The bigger, stronger man has a big advantage. Anyone who tells you size doesn't matter is an idiot.

IF you have some grappling skill, the best place to be is to put him on the ground.

But hard work is definetely required, and no tips you get on the internet are going to make much of a difference.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
THE BIG EVIL said:
Can anybooy give me any Tool,s Or ideas how I can beat a Bigger stronger opponent .

Thanks
In my oppinion learning how to use pressure points from a skilled practitioner is your best choice to taking down someone bigger than you.

PPKO

OP
L

Littledragon

THE BIG EVIL said:
Can anybooy give me any Tool,s Or ideas how I can beat a Bigger stronger opponent .

Thanks
In a real self defense situation strength does not matter that much. For example no matter how strong you are if you side kick the knee cap or use a Muay Thai kick to the nerve in the leg or kick to the groin they will still feel it. When you are on the ground strength dimenishes so I would not trade punches with a stronger guy but try to take out his legs clinch and choke him out.

Stirkes and kicks are very effective but you want to watch out so he does not close the distance and grab them, if I was fighting a bigger and stronger guy I would take out his legs and get him to the ground.

Tarek ;)

OP
K

Kevin Walker

ppko said:
In my oppinion learning how to use pressure points from a skilled practitioner is your best choice to taking down someone bigger than you.

PPKO

Technique, technique, and more technique. I have defeated guys much physically stronger than myself by relying on the technique of my style. Most martial art styles are designed to counter brute strength with method, and it works.

BUT, if you encounter an adversary who is equally skilled, then the stronger of the two will win. That is the only time a physically stronger opponent should win. So make sure you practice a lot!

KungFuWarrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
THE BIG EVIL said:

Thanks

If your talkin about a grappling situation my instructors theory (which has been proven many times) is "technique will always win over strength" so practice proper technique. If your talkin about street fighting hit em fast, hit em hard, and hit em where it counts (eyes, groin, throat, knees, ect.) hope this helps. :asian:

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my class whenever we do any kind of self defence application our instructor will make us partner up with someone of the same relative height and strength, but how practical is this if you are confronted by someone much bigger and stronger than you? I remember when I was just a kid I was bullied my other guys much bigger than me. A lot of people out there rely on their size to intimidate people but what a wake up call when they get knocked on their a r s e by someone much smaller.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

In my years of experience there is only one thing to say about fighting a stronger opponent. "OUCH" is a good word to use lol. Anyway there is one simple principle to use in fighting a stronger opponent. You have to use his strength against him and redirect away from you and if possible back at him. That is why Aikido and Judo have excellent movements in dealing with this very situation.

The use of Torque in using Ju Jitusu type movement requires the use of some strength and this is not an option when dealing with someone with superior strength. So as we use to say out on the street "Someone get me the equalizer aka bat, brick, knife, gasp a weapon how dare ya lol"

Hey I rather go home and kiss the wife instead of waking up in ICU or worse not coming home at all.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

OP
O

OC Kid

I still like saying Im sorry whether I did anythingor not and buying him a drink and both of us walking away friends or at least being at peace ith each other.

But if it came to combat I would take my enemies wheels out. Even the most expenseive car, biggest truck or most powerful tanks cant do anything if it cant move.
Next I would go for the eyes because if my enemy cant see me he cant strike me.
But like I told some kids who were going to fight the other day in the park over a soccer game. " Dont fight over a stupid game about points when the game is a practice game. The only time you should fight is for your life or money. Everything else it is a waste. It is better to remain friends than to be each others enemy.
So they didnt fight .
I saw them this week playing soccer together haveing fun as friends should, laughing and joking together.

mcjon77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Here are some things that I have learned from almost always BEING the bigger, stronger, opponent. It is a little long, but bear with me:

My fighting strategy was usually to let my opponent come to me (if I chase him my size becomes a disadvantage, as I am usually slower than him and tire more easily). Once they come in for a commited attack, I attack as well to close the distance and grab hold of them. I relied on the fact that I could do one and two step lunges much faster than my opponent would expect, and I have very long arms. I may usually take a punch or a strike on the way in, but one is almost never enough to stop me, unless they were hitting a vital area. Even then, if shook just shake off the pain and let rage and momentum carry me, I can still come out on top.

Body shots don't really bother me unless the person is hitting some kind of nerve or pressure point. Head shots worked better in that it put me more on the defensive.

I've heard a few people mentioning taking the opponent to the ground to neutralize his size and strength advantage. I don't know the theory behind this, but from my personal experience, this is usually a really bad idea. People seem to think that with some ground fighting training they can take out a bigger much easier. This is true ONLY if he has had virtually no ground training. The problem is that a larger, stronger person needs to learn MUCH MUCH less grappling to be able to completely neutralize a smaller person.

One of the things that got me interested in jujitsu was when I went to check out a class and a 120 lb female student asked to grapple with me. I probably outweighed her by about 150lbs, but because I had never been exposed to chokes, when she slapped one on I had no idea what to do and was tapped out easily. By the way, I thought it was great that she could do this, it let me know that there was something here to learn. However, after the instructor showed me how to tuck in my chin to keep from getting choked out, and how to curl my arm to counter arm locks as well as a few basic positions (which took a total of MAYBE 2 or 3 classes to learn) even he had an extremely hard time submitting me.

The two biggest advantages a smaller opponent had over me was his speed and endurance. Taking me to the ground (or should I say, allowing me to go to the ground :wink1: ) pretty much threw both of those advantages out of the window. On the ground his speed means almost nothing (unless he is a REALLY good grappler) and If I wind up on top, he is going to expend a ton more energy than me trying to gain position.

In multiple situations, when I thought my opponent was trying to take me down I wouldn't resist. Rather I would use my energy and weight to "help" him take me down (usually with greater speed and force than he was expecting or could handle) and focus on falling into a top position. From there I could rest while my opponent struggles. I could use whatever locks or strikes that I wanted to finish it.

So what do you think? I hope this helps you guys.
Jon

OP
J

jeffkyle

mcjon77 said:
Here are some things that I have learned from almost always BEING the bigger, stronger, opponent. It is a little long, but bear with me:

Jon

I think this is very interesting and well said. I like your attitude and mentallity. All you have said is definitely something to think about...from all sides.
Thanks! :)

bluenosekenpo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
mcjon77 said:

Jon
what a refreshing point of view, thanks for the input, any other large folks out there want to share their opinion?

OP
L

Littledragon

In my opinion the best ways to beat a stronger opponent is stirke the vital points. Strike the groin, eyes, throat, knees etc..

Also when you are on the ground size deminishes so I would try to get the opponent on the ground.

rompida

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Littledragon said:
Also when you are on the ground size deminishes so I would try to get the opponent on the ground.

Are you sure????

I'm a somewhat experienced grappler, and weigh about 165 lbs. I've gone against guys who were much bigger than me. AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAKE THEM TO THE GROUND. What if there is more than one attacker? What happens if you are on the bottom? You're pretty well screwed. They can pretty much smother you to keep you from maneuvering. For a big guy, they can keep their base very easily. Not too mention that the thing that you want to avoid - their strength - becomes very hard to avoid if you are on bottom. I know a big guy who got taken to the ground, wound up on top, and simply smothered/pushed on the guys chest until he passed out. Kind of like wrestling with a boa constrictor. Don't kid yourself into thinking that your grappling/wrestling will handle it. When we grapple, we tend to NOT fight dirty. Out on the street, all rules are out.

My advice - footwork & outmaneuver against a big guy. If you are in small rooms/areas, it will be hard. So make your fight end in the first few seconds. A confined space is his homecourt advantage.

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
And you seriously expect to KO a huge 'roidhead?

I'll say this: The one type of big person I wouldn't usually go to the ground with is a fat person. That's cause they're usually slow on their feet, and unlike regularly built people, you really can kick at their knees, because of the stress that being fat puts on them.

But a musclehead is a different story. I aint trying to trade blows with a man with huge biceps. One lucky shot and it's all over for you. Take him to the ground or take his back, but don't think you can just avoid every shot he throws.

rompida

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, I agree that you don't want to go shot for shot with a big dude. That's why I said footwork. Evade, and like you said, if you can get behind him, then I might go for a grapple situation. But not head to head grappling. I think if you are a small to average build, you should be using technique and speed against the muscle.

Personally, I'd be interested in hearing what more of you big guys think. What has worked against you? What ranges are you most UNcomfortable fighting in? Anyone????

OP
L

Littledragon

rompida said:
Are you sure????

I'm a somewhat experienced grappler, and weigh about 165 lbs. I've gone against guys who were much bigger than me. AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAKE THEM TO THE GROUND. What if there is more than one attacker? What happens if you are on the bottom? You're pretty well screwed. They can pretty much smother you to keep you from maneuvering. For a big guy, they can keep their base very easily. Not too mention that the thing that you want to avoid - their strength - becomes very hard to avoid if you are on bottom. I know a big guy who got taken to the ground, wound up on top, and simply smothered/pushed on the guys chest until he passed out. Kind of like wrestling with a boa constrictor. Don't kid yourself into thinking that your grappling/wrestling will handle it. When we grapple, we tend to NOT fight dirty. Out on the street, all rules are out.

My advice - footwork & outmaneuver against a big guy. If you are in small rooms/areas, it will be hard. So make your fight end in the first few seconds. A confined space is his homecourt advantage.
Yes size does diminish on the ground, you really think on the ground size matters? Look how quickly you can make a 245 lbs guy tap out with an armbar. The one who proved that size does not matter is a guy called Royce Gracie don't know if you have seen him in action. ;)

OP
L

Littledragon

rompida said:
Are you sure????

Also I wouldn't want to be outmaneuvering a 250 lbs strong guy, I would not risk standing up with any big guy, I would try to take out their legs and stirke them to the knee leg and groin but if all else fails I would want to get them on the ground and sink in a choke, no matter how big or strong you are you will feel the choke and you will feel our arm being broken if I sink in a Kimura lock or an ankle lock. ;)

rompida

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I am very familiar with him. I've had the pleasure of training with him a few times. But... I'm not him. I'm not even close to that level of proficiency. And, no offense, but I'm guessing your not either. So, what then is the "average" martial artist supposed to do? Me, I'm staying up. If things get to hairy, his friend jumps in, knife gets pulled, whatever- I'll just run. Not ashamed to say it either!! ;)

Besides, a quote from a Gracie himself.... Rickson was asked in an interview what his technique would be against multiple attackers. His response was "my walther (sp?) pistol"

OP
L

Littledragon

rompida said:
Yes, I am very familiar with him. I've had the pleasure of training with him a few times. But... I'm not him. I'm not even close to that level of proficiency. And, no offense, but I'm guessing your not either. So, what then is the "average" martial artist supposed to do? Me, I'm staying up. If things get to hairy, his friend jumps in, knife gets pulled, whatever- I'll just run. Not ashamed to say it either!! ;)

Besides, a quote from a Gracie himself.... Rickson was asked in an interview what his technique would be against multiple attackers. His response was "my walther (sp?) pistol"
Hey I am on your side to becaus I am a 4x international TKD champion as well so for 11 years I have been trained in kicking. All I am saying is that IF you are ever in the ground which 95% of all street fights end up at it would be smart to know some grappling.

;)

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Littledragon said:
Hey I am on your side to becaus I am a 4x international TKD champion as well so for 11 years I have been trained in kicking. All I am saying is that IF you are ever in the ground which 95% of all street fights end up at it would be smart to know some grappling.

;)
What exactly does being a 4-time international Tae Kwon Do champion have to do with knowing effective self defense? Aside from the fact that you stated you were 16 years old. Therefore, you were a TKD champ internationally younger than 16 years old. What tournaments were these exactly and who were they through? I know there are many Tae Kwon Do Junior championships, and these are hardly demonstrations of effective self defense or fighting. It is young kids sparring under carefully controlled rules and conditions.
You also stated you trained in kicking for 11 years. That means you were practicing kicking as a 6 year old. No offense, but that's not really impressive. A 6 year old approaches martial arts as a game. Ain't too many 6 year old kids with impressive kicks.
Finally, you know 95% of fights end up on the ground. How exactly do you know this? Do you get into fights regularly? Do you hang out in bars?

Latest Discussions