Fight at a Taco Restaurant

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Below is the story and two different angles of the fight.

I find this interesting because it shows just because you have superior numbers does not mean you will win, it is important to keep your shoe laces tied and it is a really bad idea to rush into a fight. I am not sure if the two other guys have had training, but the other 3 guys were definitely outmatched.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011...l-caught-on-tape-at-eastvale-taco-restaurant/

Last edited by a moderator:

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That was very good punch coming from that guy in the striped shirt.
I feel sorry for that business.

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think I learned there that it's easy to get hurt by your own fault, like the guy in the no. 69 hoodie who got hit simply because of the pier pressure from the shirtless guy who pushed him at the doorway which no doubt caused him to idiotically lunge at the two. Also it looks like learning to control your balance in the bearhug is vital.

Also never eat tacos, they give you concussion

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed. Not terrific technique, but excellent timing (waiting until he was fully committed in attacking the other guy).

It was that.

In fact...

I've been looking at this video - both of them actually - and I'm not entirely sure it wasn't staged.

I think it looks kind of hokey. And the store owner said he had no idea how the store security video from their own cameras got released. Really?

Not saying it is definitely fake, but when I did a freeze on the kid in the striped shirt throwing that lousy haymaker sucker punch, it didn't even look like he connected. And some of those sound effects were like 'bam' 'bif' Batman sound effects. Just not sure it's real.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In fact, it really looks staged and fake. Stop the tape at 1:03 and play slowly. The guy who gets hit FALLS THE WRONG WAY.

Bogus.

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It was a terrible punch. It was effective only because it was a sucker punch.
Well yes in terms of skillful.
But he got a very good hit on the fellow.

The reason why I like footage of street fights, is because it demonstrate that people do run at you and throw very large easy to see punches.
While you always see a lot of comments that "No one fights like that"

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which video?

This one:

Pause it at 1:03 and watch through 1:04. The striped shirt guy throws his terrible punch; a looping right cross and he not only twists himself up, he is actually off the ground with both feet as he 'lands' it. Terrible punch.

And the guy taking the blow; his head whips back; in fact, I don't even see the punch landing. And in any case, if it did, the guy in the striped shirt is throwing his right - a cross or overhand type punch that crosses to his left. The guy he hits should fall back to the left, or perhaps straight backwards, depending on how he's hit. Instead, he falls to the puncher's right, against the punch itself.

Then I looked more closely at the other 'punches' being thrown by other guys. I didn't see one of them land, with the exception of pounding each other on the backs while they were in clinches. Not one of the punches thrown looks like it actually landed that I could see. And the sound effects, unbelievable. Bam biff pow? No.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This one:

Pause it at 1:03 and watch through 1:04. The striped shirt guy throws his terrible punch; a looping right cross and he not only twists himself up, he is actually off the ground with both feet as he 'lands' it. Terrible punch.

And the guy taking the blow; his head whips back; in fact, I don't even see the punch landing. And in any case, if it did, the guy in the striped shirt is throwing his right - a cross or overhand type punch that crosses to his left. The guy he hits should fall back to the left, or perhaps straight backwards, depending on how he's hit. Instead, he falls to the puncher's right, against the punch itself.

Then I looked more closely at the other 'punches' being thrown by other guys. I didn't see one of them land, with the exception of pounding each other on the backs while they were in clinches. Not one of the punches thrown looks like it actually landed that I could see. And the sound effects, unbelievable. Bam biff pow? No.

you obviously don't know fights.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This one:

Hmm. You make some interesting points. I am going to have to take a closer look, unfortunately it is very difficult to do a frame by frame analysis on youtube.

It is possible that this was a set up. However, there are several things that we need to be aware of. Watching a fight from CCTV is not like watching it in a movie. I have seen people get knocked by strikes that look like love taps but those strikes actually did some damage.

But I have seen fights which look quite real but it was actually a well choreographed stunt.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This one:

I saw it the punch connects to chin. He is not off the ground with both feet he does a step in to make his punch connect. Terrible punch? It hit the guy square on the chin knocked him out. The guy fell back at knocked out towards the direction of the hit.

I guess Bill we have different opinions of what we saw :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw it the punch connects to chin. He is not off the ground with both feet he does a step in to make his punch connect.

It looks like he steps in, but his right foot is in the air when the 'punch' lands, and as his arm continues rotating across his chest, his base foot lifts too. At least that's how it looks to me.

Terrible punch? It hit the guy square on the chin knocked him out. The guy fell back at knocked out towards the direction of the hit.
I suppose you could say that any punch that lands and has an effect is a good punch, so in that case, you're right, assuming it did land (I'm not that sure, it really looks to me as if the guy getting hit jerks his head back and the punch passes by him).

However, what I was referring to was that the punch was technically terrible. The puncher led with his face - and in fact, it kind of looked like he took an (ineffectual) backfist to the face as he was throwing his right. He was not planted on the ground when he threw it, but in the air (at least it looks that way to me). He threw a haymaker, which is telegraph-city (in this case, the guy being punched didn't see it coming, a sucker punch). If the punchee hadn't been distracted by the guy in the white shirt, he would have seen the punch coming from the day before. The one thing the puncher did that was 'good' was that he turned his body into the punch to generate power from his body movement and not just with his arm, but I feel that was incidental.

I guess Bill we have different opinions of what we saw :)
Well, and I didn't communicate very well what I meant by a good punch. It was effective, so that's good (assuming it was real). It had a lot of technical shortcomings as a punch, and in a one-on-one, anybody who could not have seen that coming and defended against it would deserve to get smacked. It only worked because it was a sucker punch.

But what do I know? I obviously know nothing about fighting. Nope, never been in one in my life. Never busted up bar fights, arrested brawling idiots, never had to defend myself in my life. I know nothing. Pure keyboard commando, me.

on_patrol_okinawa by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But what do I know? I obviously know nothing about fighting. Nope, never been in one in my life. Never busted up bar fights, arrested brawling idiots, never had to defend myself in my life. I know nothing. Pure keyboard commando, me.
Hi Bill not sure what this means and you showing you with a picture and a squad car.
To me it comes off as if your ego has been bruised and you are trying to compensate by posting a snarky remark and picture of yourself to validate you do know what you are talking about.

My position was really just an opinion and I put a :) to show no ill will on my behalf for disagreeing with your view. After all not everyone sees things the same.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a third angle as well but turn the sound off as the poster decided to add a "street-fighter" soundtrack to it.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z84J4dMWT2U&feature=related. This makes me agree with Bill that it may have been staged.
Guy in striped shirt with his buddy seem to be waiting for the three to arrive. He was instantly ready to fight when those guys came into the door... so was the guy in white with the odd little stance.

What was really annoying was the shirtless guy hooting like a stoopid howler-monkey and it made me turn the sound off, sheesh.

An epic brawl 3 against 2... All of them are probably feeling they're badasses right about now. All are claiming victory over the other as well.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It looks like he steps in, but his right foot is in the air when the 'punch' lands, and as his arm continues rotating across his chest, his base foot lifts too. At least that's how it looks to me.

I suppose you could say that any punch that lands and has an effect is a good punch, so in that case, you're right, assuming it did land (I'm not that sure, it really looks to me as if the guy getting hit jerks his head back and the punch passes by him).

However, what I was referring to was that the punch was technically terrible. The puncher led with his face - and in fact, it kind of looked like he took an (ineffectual) backfist to the face as he was throwing his right. He was not planted on the ground when he threw it, but in the air (at least it looks that way to me). He threw a haymaker, which is telegraph-city (in this case, the guy being punched didn't see it coming, a sucker punch). If the punchee hadn't been distracted by the guy in the white shirt, he would have seen the punch coming from the day before. The one thing the puncher did that was 'good' was that he turned his body into the punch to generate power from his body movement and not just with his arm, but I feel that was incidental.

Well, and I didn't communicate very well what I meant by a good punch. It was effective, so that's good (assuming it was real). It had a lot of technical shortcomings as a punch, and in a one-on-one, anybody who could not have seen that coming and defended against it would deserve to get smacked. It only worked because it was a sucker punch.

on_patrol_okinawa by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

lame.
yes I agree you only know something specific.... you obviously have no clue based on your comments about this kind of encounter.
when you have enemies you are always on the lookout.
I had many similar situations in my youth where a group of us were somewhere eating and a group of our enemis arrived, saw us and stopped, or something similar.

yes the punch was not a picture perfect martial arts punch, but I would bet money it would put you on your *** in a heartbeat as well Bill.
a chaotic mess... thats what most of these fights between guys like this end up as... the ones who have alot of experience, or better technique clean up in these situations.
the fight is real, the shots connected, was the fight staged? as in fake? no... as in people knew others would be at a specific place and showed up to fight? maybe...
but the punches were thrown with intent, landed with intent, and the chaos you see is real, not WWE
you need to stop overthinking things and trying to place a chaotic non trained scenario into the parameters of martial arts form and technique.. it doesnt necessarily fit.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lame.
yes I agree you only know something specific.... you obviously have no clue based on your comments about this kind of encounter. You can back up if you like, but don't expect me not to call you on it.
No, that's not what you said. You said, "you obviously don't know fights." Now you modify that so that I only don't know anything about this type of encounter.

when you have enemies you are always on the lookout.
I had many similar situations in my youth where a group of us were somewhere eating and a group of our enemis arrived, saw us and stopped, or something similar.

OK. I'm sure that's true. In what way does that prove that this video is of a real fight? I didn't say such situations never happen, I said this fight looks fake to me.

yes the punch was not a picture perfect martial arts punch, but I would bet money it would put you on your *** in a heartbeat as well Bill.

No doubt. I never said it wasn't. I said it wasn't a 'nice punch' and it isn't. I further explained, when challenged, that I mean it wasn't a good technical punch, not that it wasn't effective. It clearly was. I'm not arguing that.

a chaotic mess... thats what most of these fights between guys like this end up as... the ones who have alot of experience, or better technique clean up in these situations.
the fight is real, the shots connected, was the fight staged? as in fake? no... as in people knew others would be at a specific place and showed up to fight? maybe...
but the punches were thrown with intent, landed with intent, and the chaos you see is real, not WWE

I don't know if it was or wasn't. But from what I can see, it looks fake. I don't see any punches connecting other than some pounding each other on the back from the clinch position. I do not see the big punches that look super powerful as actually landing; they look like Hollywood punches to me. Maybe they're real. I can't be sure. This is just my opinion.

you need to stop overthinking things and trying to place a chaotic non trained scenario into the parameters of martial arts form and technique.. it doesnt necessarily fit.

I didn't. I offered a couple of opinions. First, that the fight looks fake to me. Second, in response to a comment that it was a 'nice punch,' I responded that it wasn't. You have confirmed my statement on the latter - it wasn't a technically correct punch, despite it being (apparently) effective.

And don't tell me what I 'need' to do.