Fess up...

Have you ever Taken Steroids?

• Yep. Used Em.

• No way man! 'Roids are the work of the Devil

• Ive considered it, or am considering it, but dont know if its a good idea or not...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you have taken 'Riods?

Anyone care to share their experiences with them? Not roumors, or what the doctors/governments/yadda yadda SAY about them, but actual info on what it was like taking them?

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2 cycles in HS, my junior year. I honestly never saw or felt anything much of a difference, but decided it was for the birds when a buddy of mine, Brian, ended up with a nuclear temper problem from the same batch.

T

Tkang_TKD

Never taken them; I'm a naturally large person at 6', 235lbs. I've never thought of any conceivable reason to use them, and besides that, I get tested for them.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, not muscle-enhancing steroids. However, I was prescribed a different type of steroids while in the hospital and for a while afterwards. Although I was on it for a few months, I developed a strong reliance upon it. The Dr. had to slowly taper me off and I had a terrible time with withdrawal and extreme mood swings, even with just the dosage reduction.

I'd hate to imagine what it could be like with the steroids used by athletes.

- Ceicei

M

MikeMartial

Considered a few years back after a good year of gains from heavy lifting. Did a lot of reading and research, but just never really felt I "needed to". I had made good gains naturally, and after looking at the risk vs gain ration, just didn't seem worth it.

A

Akula

Not even a possibility - for the sports I compete(d) in, they randomly test for usage. Test positive, you're out.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never used em. But then I never paid much attention to bodybuilding in the first place, so I never had much cause.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Closest I ever got was some thermogens like ephedra. I did have two roommates that were heavy 'roid freaks. I didn't notice much of a temper problem, but that could be because when you are up in the middle of the night lovingly sharpening the machete you keep under your pillow, they look at you with a little less aggression. I will say this, the 'roids may have helped them with their physique, but they still worked like horses for it and they both quit with in four years.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
How many of you have taken 'Riods?

Anyone care to share their experiences with them? Not roumors, or what the doctors/governments/yadda yadda SAY about them, but actual info on what it was like taking them?
I assume you are referring to Anabolic or "Horsie" steroids. There are many OTC type of legal (or at least unregulated) 'roid options out there that do not (as the studies so far indicate, the future will tell) have the same detrimental side affects as the old 'horsie' roids.

Used Creatine, closest to a 'roid type of supplement I have ever gotten.

Fight with attitude

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've never done roids and I'm not saying that you should take them but if you are be smart about it. To many people just waste money and ruin there body by thinking the more roids you do the better you will look.

Less is more with roids and you got to know your body when to take it how much to take...it's all pretty much trial and error.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i have never ever ever done any sort of illegal drugs and I am proud of it

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fight with attitude said:
I've never done roids and I'm not saying that you should take them but if you are be smart about it. To many people just waste money and ruin there body by thinking the more roids you do the better you will look.

Less is more with roids and you got to know your body when to take it how much to take...it's all pretty much trial and error.
The majority of 'roid abuse has more to do with competetive training than 'vanity' training. College students trying to keep or get a scholarship, pro's trying to keep or regain and edge on the field and such. Even in body building, it wasn't so much a motivation of 'looks' as much as competitive edge for competition in general (though in Body Building it will be about 'looks' because of the importance of mass and symetry and all that).

With all the legal 'roids out there now, it is really difficult for the competetive sports to test out all the ones that are put into use. Some even said that (I can't remember the Baseball player's name for the life of me) the homerun record one year was undeserved because the player admitted to using Creatine. It is legal and not by definition an anabolic steroid...but is it fair? Who knows.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope. It's never been an issue with me - but geek girls generally don't go in for that kind of thing.

Interesting, though.

A friend of mine taught in public high schools for a little while. One year a student came back from the summer having clearly (to her) taken steroids. He was *huge*, and had serious acne and rage problems as well. When he cornered her in the classroom because she wouldn't give him more time to finish a test (I think everyone else had left), she just said, "Take your time" and got out of there - it sounds like it was very scary.

The rage issues sound like they could be a real problem.

B

bassplayer

Creatine is an amino acid, not a hormone, and that's what separates it from steroids.
Were you referring to Mark Mcguire, loki?
Creatine monohydrate is a supplement that serves as an energy reserve in muscle cells. Muscular contraction is powered by the breakdown of ATP (adenosine triphosphate) to ADP (adenosine diphosphate). When all the ATP is broken down, creatine phosphate in the muscle donates a phosphate group to ADP, and further energy reactions can occur. Creatine monohydrate is a precursor to creatine phosphate. By supplementing with CM, CP levels in muscle apparently are maximized, and more muscular work can occur, since there are greater energy reserves to use. That is why its recommended for high energy anaerobic workouts that deplete your ATP levels sufficiently enough that it will be of use to you. If you're not draining your ATP reserves enough in your workouts, then you wont notice the creatine really helping your workouts...maybe you'll have some more energy, but you wont be using it to its potential.
Creatine also helps with resistance training by bloating the muscle with creatine rich fluid. This allows for greater leverage and requires the muscle to move less and lift more weight. While this may seem kind of trivial, some researchers today think that one of the stimulating factors of steroid use is water retention. Anabolic steroids may actually work in part because of cellular fluid retention in the muscles. The swelling action and the related stretching of the cells may in and of itself cause a reaction which stimulates the muscle cells to grow. So in some respects creatine might be as good as steroids, minus the hormonal impact. Its not good to take on a continual basis though, better to cycle on and off...here's more info...
http://www.sportsci.org/traintech/creatine/rbk.html
http://www.rugbycoach.com/nutrition/creatine.htm
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1999/05_99/juhn.htm

Steroids are just NOT good. There are much better ways to feed your body!

Anabolic steroids -- or more precisely, anabolic-androgenic steroids -- are the synthetic derivatives of the naturally occurring male anabolic hormone testosterone. Both anabolic and androgenic have origins from the Greek: anabolic, meaning "to build," and androgenic, meaning "masculinizing." Testosterone's natural androgenic effects trigger the maturing of the male reproductive system in puberty, including the growth of body hair and the deepening of the voice. The hormone's anabolic effect helps the body retain dietary protein, which aids in the development of muscles.
When your body is supplemented with a hormone like this on a more continual basis, it will start to forget the organ that produces it...I'm sure no man wants his package to be affected!!!

Side Effects....

Men - Although anabolic steroids are derived from a male sex hormone, men who take them may actually experience a "feminization" effect along with a decrease in normal male sexual function. Some possible effects include:
  • Reduced sperm count
  • Impotence
  • Development of breasts
  • Shrinking of the testicles
  • Difficulty or pain while urinating

Women - On the other hand, women often experience a "masculinization" effect from anabolic steroids, including the following:
  • Facial hair growth
  • Deepened voice
  • Breast reduction
  • Menstrual cycle changes
With continued use of anabolic steroids, both sexes can experience the following effects, which range from the merely unsightly to the life endangering. They include:
  • Acne
  • Bloated appearance
  • Rapid weight gain
  • Clotting disorders
  • Liver damage
  • Premature heart attacks and strokes
  • Elevated cholesterol levels
  • Weakened tendons
Lesson? Feed your body well, but only mess with hormone levels when you have problems and the doc says its necessary!!!

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nah never needed to even think about them. I'm a nerd basically so why would I ever even consider if I needed them?

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read somewhere that creatine has a damaging effect on the liver after prolonged use. Does anyone know if this true or reported.

B

bassplayer

Well, your liver removes toxins from the blood - as mentioned above, the creatine phosphate donates its phosphate to the ADP to make more ATP, leaving creatinine behind. That's why its recommended to cycle off of creatine monohydrate after a few weeks of use, and perhaps a month off every 3-4 - to prevent overworking your liver from cleaning up the excess. Moderate use can be beneficial, but continued high dosages, like with just about anything, can be harmful.
That's another reason proper rest periods are an important part of your workout schedule - your muscles arent the only organs being taxed after a hard workout!

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What about Milk Thistle for helping the Liver survive the Creatine?

Latest Discussions