Fantasy Martial Arts

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
True. Not everyone studies martial arts to learn how to fight. Some take a Tai Chi class for health. Some take a Tae Kwon Do class just for exercise and maybe sport. And some take a "traditional" martial art just for the sake of participating in and preserving a "tradition." But there are plenty out there that do have a false sense of being able to take care of themselves against a street attack. And there are some out there that think they would have no problem in a modern free fight scenario. And there are plenty of instructors that encourage those ideas in their students even though they don't "pressure test" or train very realistically. But they might get a surprise if they ever had to put those ideas to the test!
So I guess it boils down to "caveate emptor" and "know thyself". This is not surprising.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally, I don't see any reason why someone should be concerned with what someone else puts up on the internet in a blog like this.

---Like it or hate it, it provides some good points for discussion.

Decide for yourself if your training meets your needs. Lots of people seem to have a Life Mission to try and discredit anything that anyone else does if it does not conform to their own narrowly defined ideals.

---Good advice.

I ignore articles like this one. I have ignored this article too. It's not worth the time it takes to read it.

---How do you know? You didn't read it! Even if you disagreed with what Rackemann said, it would make you think about WHY you disagreed. You might even end up realizing that at some level there is some truth to what he says, even if he does take his points a bit too far at times. That's the reason for posting topics for discussion. If everyone agreed, then there would be nothing to discuss. But if you won't even consider the topic, how can you discuss it?
We've all seen enough of these to know where they always end up: my stuff is great and if you don't do things in a way that is vastly similar to how I do it, then you suck.

After a while you begin to realize that these things are worth ignoring.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've had cats for about 43 years so I demand that you bow down to my seniority in cat wrangling.
I recently had to have another cat euthanized, she was with us for 15 years, and was having kidney failure. Y'all are gonna make me start crying again, so knock it off, damn you.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We've all seen enough of these to know where they always end up: my stuff is great and if you don't do things in a way that is vastly similar to how I do it, then you suck.

After a while you begin to realize that these things are worth ignoring.
Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya. :)

Reactions: KPM

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Personally, I don't see any reason why someone should be concerned with what someone else puts up on the internet in a blog like this.
When I see comments such as:

- You should ask your coach.
- You should ask your Sifu.
- You should ask your Sensei.
- Don't expect to get any valuable information online.
- I can't care less about what you say (or do).

It makes me think what am I doing here right at this moment?

Reactions: KPM

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've had cats for about 43 years so I demand that you bow down to my seniority in cat wrangling.
When my 2 lb 7 oz Yokie Yaya died on 4/21 this year, it affected both my wife and me big time. The next day after my dog died, my wife and I drove 700 miles to get another Yorkie Jaja. The problem is my wife keeps saying that the new dog doesn't have the same

- hair color as the old one had.
- smile as the old one had (the old one had build in smile).
- personality as the old one had.
- bond as the old one did.

Since we all know that all pet will die. Is it worthy to have the happiness when they are alive but have to face the sadness when they die? I truly don't know.

My old dog Yaya:

yaya_new.jpg

My new dog Jaja.

jaja_3.jpg

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I see comments such as:

- You should ask your coach.
- You should ask your Sifu.
- You should ask your Sensei.
- Don't expect to get any valuable information online.
- I can't care less about what you say (or do).

It makes me think what am I doing here right at this moment?
That is a question that I often ask myself. I do know what the answer often is: I am at work and I am monumentally bored and looking for a distraction.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is a question that I often ask myself. I do know what the answer often is: I am at work and I am monumentally bored and looking for a distraction.
We just try to talk to someone online who share the same interest as we do. One day I was bored. I knocked on my next door neighbor and asked him if he wanted to spar with me. The way that he looked at me as if I came from another planet.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We just try to talk to someone online who share the same interest as we do. One day I was bored. I knocked on my next door neighbor and asked him if he wanted to spar with me. The way that he looked at me as if I came from another planet.
Yeah that's true, we are looking for discussion about shared interests. All too often tho the thread turns into a trainwreck from which we cannot look away. And I know, I too am guilty of contributing to that.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My wife told me that all I do is talk kung fu here, so I told her that either you guys will here it (my kung fu talk) or she will have to hear it. This place should be advertised as the place to send your husband / wife when you get tired of him / her talking martial arts. "We take the beating so you don't have to" lol

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Flying Crane and Kung Fu Wang, my sincere condolences. It's so damn hard losing a pet. But as hard as it is, it's worth it. They give us so damn much.

Right now we're petless. Making do by feeding feral baby chicks and feral kittens, all over the yard - and trying to keep the mongooses away, who'll eat all of them if given the chance.

Going to get a dog in the winter, once back from vacation.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score

You win, Tony.

I lost one to a car, and had to take another two to the vet for final visits. It sucks, but the good times with them were worth the pain.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah that's true, we are looking for discussion about shared interests. All too often tho the thread turns into a trainwreck from which we cannot look away. And I know, I too am guilty of contributing to that.

I am happy to jump on all of your threads and tell you how much I dont want to be participating in them if you want.

Seems a bit duchebaggy even for me though.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It pays to come in with moderate expectations. That way, you occasionally get a pleasant surprise.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
5. Pseudoscience isn't science. He makes a relatively weak point here. He is basically saying if people aren't pressure testing what they are doing to make sure it works, then talking about how their method is based on biomechanics, efficiency, etc. is a moot point. I don't entirely go along with him on this one.

Yeah see I hate martial arts science. I am not a scientist. Generally the person explaining it isn't a scientist. So neither of us have the grounding to understand what terms we are using and more importantly what terms we are missing.

It is used in false advertising all the time.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe the guy in the article should have used a better word than "fantasy" to me fantasy would be something that has false application. A teacher can know the techniques and know the application of the techniques, but has no clue how to apply the techniques in a fight. If this is the case then the system isn't a fantasy martial arts, it just means that the teaching is incomplete.

I think his point was that if you are involved with a martial art and have the belief that you are training to be one skilled MF (martial fan) even though the martial art you are training does no real sparring or pressure testing....then you are likely living in a fantasy. Complete. Incomplete. Traditional. Modern. Doesn't matter. Its a fantasy to feel all warm and fuzzy about your fighting abilities when you really have none! ;)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think his point was that if you are involved with a martial art and have the belief that you are training to be one skilled MF (martial fan) even though the martial art you are training does no real sparring or pressure testing....then you are likely living in a fantasy. Complete. Incomplete. Traditional. Modern. Doesn't matter. Its a fantasy to feel all warm and fuzzy about your fighting abilities when you really have none! ;)
I think he should be more specific. Instead of saying what is fantasy, just focus on what's needed to be able able to actually use martial arts.

Latest Discussions