Fantasy Martial Arts

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wouldn't call it good at all tbh

ok its yet another of those guys who have established their own martial art, rubbishing traditional martials as a marketing tool

Figured as much. I didn't bother reading after the first point was bashing training the author obviously has no understanding of.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Figured as much. I didn't bother reading after the first point was bashing training the author obviously has no understanding of.
Yep just seems like a ufc fanboy who did 1 or 2 karate classes then decided to hate on it. That's the vibe I got

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Clearly you guys didn't even bother to read the whole article! :rolleyes:

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
i did, what do you think I missed

I went back and read it. Still think the same.

This bit is a hilarious combination of ignorance and arrogance!

"Wing Chun is a not alone. The list of fantasy martial arts includes many (if not all) of the Chinese martial arts such as Taichi, Northern and Southern Praying Mantis, White Eyebrow Kung Fu and White Crane Kung Fu. Outside of China there is Aikido, NinJujitsu, and Japanese Jujitsu. From Southeast Asia I can include Kali, Eskrima and Silat on the list. It’s not just limited to Asian arts, as the Russian martial art Systema, and most of the Krav Mag styles can be added as well. Even many of the so called Army Combative make the cut. Does this mean that these styles that make the list are virtually useless when it comes to self-defence? The short answer is yes."

And after this he talks about combining a fantasy martial with boxing and fencing and that supposedly being better than thousands of traditional styles he has no experience or knowledge of. :woot:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I disagree about forms and kata being totally useless(they do physiologically condition your body and mind to move in a certain way quickly and comfortably), the rest of his article is about spot on. I think this sort of thinking will soon become the norm. The con game that exists within TMA is more and more being put under the microscope, and as more and more of it evaporates under scrutiny, more and more potential 'customers' will be making informed decisions in what they train rather than believing in myths they have heard or seen in movies and beginning their training based on that.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
KPM,

I have read it.
I am confused --- What makes it a good article?

I find it confusing and no real data. The Article uses terms and tries to do exactly what it says you should avoid.

Thanks
Rich

Dont question the article. Whatever you read on the net has to be the truth. ;)

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
that article is a really big round about way of saying "other WC schools are crap join mine instead, but i dont teach WC".
i always wondered, if you mix any MA together, wont it be deemed MMA?

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
KPM,

I have read it.
I am confused --- What makes it a good article?

I find it confusing and no real data. The Article uses terms and tries to do exactly what it says you should avoid.

Thanks
Rich

What Martial D said above. I also disagree with the part about rejecting forms practice. But I thought the rest of the article where he talks about lack of competitive sparring, trying to save "face" and the rest were pretty "on the money." He describes most of the problems with "traditional" martial arts today. He also speaks to some of the points brought up on the other thread in this forum about "What is Wrong with Wing Chun." He describes a lot of what is wrong with Wing Chun! So yeah. I thought it was a pretty good article. But maybe it hits a little "too close to home" for some in this forum??? ;)

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dont question the article. Whatever you read on the net has to be the truth. ;)

Do you disagree with the problems he points out that are found in most TCMAs, including Wing Chun?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ok its yet another of those guys who have established their own martial art, rubbishing traditional martials as a marketing tool

Except not all traditional martial art fall in to those traps.

Judo for example.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
trying to save "face"

That's what most of your posts on this forum are attempting to do for yourself.

I thought it was a pretty good article. But maybe it hits a little "too close to home" for some in this forum??? ;)

You have to insult people, calling them fantasy martial artists because they disagree with you... Your face-saving tactics are awful.

Do you disagree with the problems he points out that are found in most TCMAs, including Wing Chun?

Neither he nor you know most TCMAs.

You can probably only name a handful, and there are literally thousands.

You are just trying to promote your "Wing Chun Boxing" by style-bashing others.

Latest Discussions