Facebook Martial Artists

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems like there are an awful lot of people on Facebook who post all the martial arts memes and inspirational fortune cookies, who link to all the videos of UFC fights and back-alley brawls and World Star Hip Hop beat downs, but they don't seem to actually train.

Some of them did train, and much respect to them, but they no longer train.

Some did a little training when they were younger, never got above a certain rank, but now feel age has given them the mastery that training did not.

And some apparently never trained. Got plenty of advice for martial artists, though.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some did a little training when they were younger, never got above a certain rank, but now feel age has given them the mastery that training did not.
There are many people out there like this. Most tend to understand the martial arts from an outside view of the applications and not from actually using the applications. People like that are an interesting bunch.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I get people sharing that stuff, but for the most part it's people I know who have been training consistently for 5 to 50 years, sharing videos of things within their style. Then again, not friends with a whole lot of mma fanboys

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty much the only people I see posting martial arts related stuff on Facebook are people who I know are currently training. Then again, probably half the people I know on Facebook are folks I met through the martial arts.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That reminds me. I get a lot of Facebook friend requests and I don't recognize their names. I see that we have several 'mutual friends' and my mutual friends might or might not be MT users, but that doesn't tell me who they are on MT assuming they are on MT. I turn 'em down.

Tell me who you are on MT if you make a FB request.

But I've said 'yes' to FB friend requests I've come to regret; friends of martial artists who just like to have a lot of friends who are martial artists. Turns out they're asshats once I let them post comments. Yikes.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the moment there's little martial arts stuff on the FB I see, however there is so much 'Brexit' and 'Stay' stuff it's hugely irritating.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems like there are an awful lot of people on Facebook who post all the martial arts memes and inspirational fortune cookies, who link to all the videos of UFC fights and back-alley brawls and World Star Hip Hop beat downs, but they don't seem to actually train.

And some apparently never trained. Got plenty of advice for martial artists, though.

Same for any other sport. You will find no shortage of people that know far better then NFL, NBA & NHL coaches online too. It's just part of the deal when you have a spectator sport. Not even just sports, there are plenty of folks that know how to direct fortune 500 companies better, which shows and movies a studio should cancel vs continue.

It's really no different though, "Some did a little training when they were younger," = played high school football.

Armchair quarterbacks are just evidence that we are a reasonably mainstream activity.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At the moment there's little martial arts stuff on the FB I see, however there is so much 'Brexit' and 'Stay' stuff it's hugely irritating.
Come to the U.S. I'll trade you Trump, Gun Rights Posts for your Brexit

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Same for any other sport. You will find no shortage of people that know far better then NFL, NBA & NHL coaches online too. It's just part of the deal when you have a spectator sport. Not even just sports, there are plenty of folks that know how to direct fortune 500 companies better, which shows and movies a studio should cancel vs continue.

It's really no different though, "Some did a little training when they were younger," = played high school football.

Armchair quarterbacks are just evidence that we are a reasonably mainstream activity.
Definitely. I have a family member that's like that and it's like an audio book stuck on play of NFL intelligence and how he knows everything about football. People who have that much passion should get out of the "Armchair" and actually do what they love. It doesn't have to be in a professional environment, because there's enough youth sports out there that can use people who love the activity that much.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I live near Louisville and every year at Derby time horse racing "experts" come out of the woodwork just in time for the Kentucky Derby. Then the rest of the year, nothing.
Same with MMA. I go to work and every one is an expert on kicking or grappling or whatever as they critique various matches and fighters.
I think that is one thing that turns me off from MMA...the public consumption of it. People who have never taken a day of training in their life are suddenly experts.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

I have found that martial arts and weight lifting are the two subjects that seemingly EVERYONE has something to say.

As soon as you are seen training or lifting they come out of the woodwork and all the sudden the 130 pound 6,2 guy has all the pointers and tips on how you should be lifting those 280 pounds. Same when you are training, a guy will come by and be like "bro you doing it all wrong, do it this way!" Then proceeds to throw very sloppy and terrible hay makers that are very telegraphed.

They are strong hits, but by no means would they ever hit anything. I'm not trying to sound like a dick but it's a case of if the person doesn't know what they are talking about. Don't even bother because it just looks ignorant.

Many people also like to claim they do martial arts and claim they are great at it while providing nothing to back it up. They want to impress people and look tough. I find this is more prominent with MMA and UFC, everyone and there mother does MMA and everyone is an aspiring MMA fighter.

The phrase "Don't love with me I do MMA" is something I have heard more than I can count.

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That reminds me. I get a lot of Facebook friend requests and I don't recognize their names. I see that we have several 'mutual friends' and my mutual friends might or might not be MT users, but that doesn't tell me who they are on MT assuming they are on MT. I turn 'em down.

Tell me who you are on MT if you make a FB request.

But I've said 'yes' to FB friend requests I've come to regret; friends of martial artists who just like to have a lot of friends who are martial artists. Turns out they're asshats once I let them post comments. Yikes.
But you can call me Sean. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live near Louisville and every year at Derby time horse racing "experts" come out of the woodwork just in time for the Kentucky Derby. Then the rest of the year, nothing.
Same with MMA. I go to work and every one is an expert on kicking or grappling or whatever as they critique various matches and fighters.
I think that is one thing that turns me off from MMA...the public consumption of it. People who have never taken a day of training in their life are suddenly experts.

My son in law often goes across to the racecourse there with horses, he works for Charlie Appleby of Godolphin, so look out for their horses, not always in the Derby though, that would be the other Godolphin trainer's, always worth a bet.

I don't get random people going on about MMA or martial arts, I don't have a lot of FB 'friends' and those that are, are genuinely MMA and martial arts people I know and have often trained or worked with.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the users are more of a problem than the social engineering. I tell users about the risks all the time but they just ignore it. People don't see the risk until they have the problem, but by then it's too late. After the problem has been fixed the same hands that got them into trouble the first time gets them into trouble the second time. Smartphones scare me more than anything.