Facebook Martial Artists

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of social engineering exploits being used there

What! my naked men are just harmless fun! though as they are mostly ex military chaps who have been injured they are flying the flag for more awareness. Ok the naked rugby players are just that, naked rugby players.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Human beings are troop animals. That is the reason that sites such as Facebook exist, so people can be part of a group without actually being part of a group. People profess expertise at various endeavors even though they only have a faint idea of what it's really about because that way they can feel that they are legitimately part of a group rather than being on the outside looking in. Those that are legitimately a part of the group because they engage in said endeavor resent those wannabes, because it allows them to feel that they are legitimately in the group and others aren't. It all comes back to how we view the world, and we all view it through the lens of our genetic past. Humans have a hard coded need to be part of a group, and we are happiest that way. Since we no longer live in little troops or family units, we have invented a myriad of ways to get our fix of belonging.
I figure that if someone wants to profess mastery of a subject that they know little or nothing about, they are welcome to it. However, it may amuse me to make fun of them for it. :)

Just my opinions, since I wanted to feel like I was part of the group. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some wanabees however are more than resented, they are detested and FB has been the reason these have been outed. Some are conning money out of people, others are betrayed their loved ones trust but they are all disrespecting those who have been 'the real thing'.
Veterans are exposing military imposters

It's one thing to say you are an MMA fighter or whatever quite another to say you have served your country when you haven't.
Endurance race organiser admits he lied about being an ex-Royal Marine

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well there you go. Another group that a lot of people want to be a part of. It's absolutely amazing to me the sheer number of special forces veterans there are in the bars of America! :) I imagine it's not too different in the pubs over there.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well there you go. Another group that a lot of people want to be a part of. It's absolutely amazing to me the sheer number of special forces veterans there are in the bars of America! :) I imagine it's not too different in the pubs over there.

I have heard (but honestly don't know how accurate the figure is) that there are 300 SEALs for every one that actually graduates from BUD/S training.

I've also met "Vietnam Vets" who, for their story to be true, would have been serving at the age of like 12.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The famous one here is the Iranian Embassy siege when the SAS went in over the balcony of the building, seems so many people claim to have been there that the whole street would have been full never mind the balcony. Of course the Falklands and Afghanistan have added to the number of Walts. They never say they were in a tank regiment or the Signals Corps etc it's always special forces.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The famous one here is the Iranian Embassy siege when the SAS went in over the balcony of the building, seems so many people claim to have been there that the whole street would have been full never mind the balcony. Of course the Falklands and Afghanistan have added to the number of Walts. They never say they were in a tank regiment or the Signals Corps etc it's always special forces.
Hey, I am a proud signal corps veteran. Don't mess with us, or we will portray you in a bad light. Don't think we don't know how! In fact, I am not sure I could get hired to do it right. :(

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The internet changes people I guess...

In real life im just some 22yr old who trains in karate and likes to yell kiai
But on the internet im a brilliant sophisticated wise and extremely talented bad*** who knows just as much as those old people who walk around saying "kids these days" and "respect your elders"

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

But on the internet im a brilliant sophisticated wise and extremely talented bad*** who knows just as much as those old people who walk around saying "kids these days" and "respect your elders"

Don't forget the all important "GET OFF MY LAWN!!!"

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Youtube Martial artists I would say are worse.

Lately I really been feeling the need to write a paper about how I feel about how this trend has been getting very out of hand. I mean it has always kind of been there but now we are in an era where not only the internet is readily available, but it is even more so readily available than it has ever been.

This especially true with the popularity of smart phones as they are common place, this means anyone can say anything at any given time. This means that the "Tongue Fu" practitioners are now more common and louder than ever.

I really have a request that people would follow and by no means am I picking on the so called "Modern Martial Arts" crowd. Because the people I am going to be talking about are not even in that crowd anyway.

Many people feel that because they know how to watch television, specifically UFC, that this somehow makes them an expert on martial arts. This somehow gives them credibility to call any fighting style that they don't see used in the UFC "absolute ****" and useless.

They treat UFC as it is some sort of end all be all contest on which fighting style is the best, and this is simply not true. UFC like any competition puts fighters to the test to see who will come out on top. Not their styles, but themselves personally. No matter how they sell you this product, in the end that is what it is.

The reason for this is because people fight, not the martial arts style. The martial arts style can do no fighting without a person to use it to fight with. This means it all comes down to that man or woman using it.

Anyway back on topic. Just because somebody watches a sport on TV. Does not make them a master on the sport and it does not give them authority to go on "crusades" that are about **** talking martial arts styles and martial artists simply because they have little to no UFC representation. Many fighting styles aren't going to work there in the first place because the rules do not permit many things and furthermore UFC's rules favors grappling way more than they do striking.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

I try to keep the real me and the internet me exactly the same but for some odd reason. I just can't BEAR to shave my face before setting foot into cyber space.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Youtube Martial artists I would say are worse.
Don't know that I agree with that. What YouTube has done has given us visibility of a huge range of martial artists across the world, whereas previously we would mostly see whoever was in our immediate neighborhood. On YouTube I can find:

World-class fighters and champions
World-class instructors
Above average martial artists
Average martial artists
Below average martial artists
Complete beginners
Delusional nutcase wannabees and frauds

... from many different arts and countries.

Sure, you can find plenty of clueless incompetents on YouTube. The thing is, those guys were always out there - showing off in their backyard or teaching at the local YMCA or sometimes even running a chain of schools if they were charismatic salesmen or appearing in the pages of Black Belt magazine if they could take pictures that looked good. They just weren't on display for everybody the world to critique their technique.

I think we're pretty lucky to have YouTube as a resource. Sure, we can waste a couple of minutes every now and then rolling our eyes and feeling superior to some of the clowns putting themselves on display, but I'd rather take advantage of the opportunity to study some of the amazing top-notch practitioners out there.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend only deal with people I have known for a while & associate with in a consistent manner on FB. Every so often, I prune if it turns out the "friends" on FB turn out to be less than so.

Basically ... known quality & quantity over anything else.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I tend only deal with people I have known for a while & associate with in a consistent manner on FB. Every so often, I prune if it turns out the "friends" on FB turn out to be less than so.

Basically ... known quality & quantity over anything else.
Time for me to prune. Sometimes I rather like people in the context of how I originally met them and not in the context of what they feel free to post in FB. It can get wild sometimes and sometimes it's disappointing, to see how they really are when not in an environment that restrains what they really want to say.

There have also been some experiences where the way they are in facebook is exactly the way they are in life no matter what environment they are in. I don't like the "multiple personality" types where they are almost a completely different person depending on what environment they are in.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't know that I agree with that. What YouTube has done has given us visibility of a huge range of martial artists across the world, whereas previously we would mostly see whoever was in our immediate neighborhood. On YouTube I can find:

World-class fighters and champions
World-class instructors
Above average martial artists
Average martial artists
Below average martial artists
Complete beginners
Delusional nutcase wannabees and frauds

... from many different arts and countries.

Sure, you can find plenty of clueless incompetents on YouTube. The thing is, those guys were always out there - showing off in their backyard or teaching at the local YMCA or sometimes even running a chain of schools if they were charismatic salesmen or appearing in the pages of Black Belt magazine if they could take pictures that looked good. They just weren't on display for everybody the world to critique their technique.

I think we're pretty lucky to have YouTube as a resource. Sure, we can waste a couple of minutes every now and then rolling our eyes and feeling superior to some of the clowns putting themselves on display, but I'd rather take advantage of the opportunity to study some of the amazing top-notch practitioners out there.

Mr. Dismukes, I should have been more clear in what I meant by Youtube Martial Artists. I meant those whose only experience is from Youtube. We had a student enter our Dojang last year. We were doing self-defense application drills, and he insist to do the escapes the way he saw in instructional videos, or "research" as he put it. He left our school because, he wasn't getting the training he desired; it didn't coincide with his "research." There are plenty of brilliant Martial Artists on Youtube , who those who have had or are currently training can learn things from. If the only MA experience you have is Youtube videos, then that is the problem I see.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mr. Dismukes, I should have been more clear in what I meant by Youtube Martial Artists. I meant those whose only experience is from Youtube. We had a student enter our Dojang last year. We were doing self-defense application drills, and he insist to do the escapes the way he saw in instructional videos, or "research" as he put it. He left our school because, he wasn't getting the training he desired; it didn't coincide with his "research." There are plenty of brilliant Martial Artists on Youtube , who those who have had or are currently training can learn things from. If the only MA experience you have is Youtube videos, then that is the problem I see.
Gotcha. In the old days those would be guys who just studied out of a book and thought they understood the art.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
More fun than a barrel of monkeys, this thread. Oh, snap!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many fighting styles aren't going to work there in the first place because the rules do not permit many things and furthermore UFC's rules favors grappling way more than they do striking.

Weeeeeell, that's not actually true. There's a number of reasons why. MMA ( yep I say this a lot) is what it says on the tin, it's mixed martial arts not one style but techniques from many so no one uses just one fighting style. The rules are there for fighter safety, fighters if they wished are still capable of fighting without rules, they aren't physical barriers, they choose to obey the rules in competitive bouts. Many grapplers will tell you the rules in MMA favour strikers. Have you read or used the rules? The UFC isn't a fighting style it's a profit making business, MMA is the fighting style.

Latest Discussions