Experience in a SD seminar

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know, imagine my surprise when it turned out to be so lame. I was expecting we would all be given metal edged rulers...but NOOOOOOOOO. I mean I never went to a Catholic School, but I have heard all the stories from those that did

There was a move taught to show you how to get someone to stop pulling your hair..... a couple slaps to the persons hand was all you needed.....she did not like my lock their hand to my head, bend over, lock them and ride them to the wall routine at all....it might hurt the person who was just trying to hurt me...and we don't want to injure them you know...... she also seemed to be oblivious that there were rather large detox and mental health units in that hospital, many of whom were brought in by the police in cuffs...

I found it, I found it !!!!!!!

In the thread - What arts are incompatible with each other? in Post 89, there is a link to
where the double slap is shown about 1:47 or so. It worked! then the demonstrator grabbed his opponent's hand in mid-air (Isn't he good?) (!!!???) and applied a wrist lock into a throw.

Sir, how could you put down a nun who obviously had that technique down pat? Well, minus the fact it would break knuckles, wrist, elbow/shoulder joints, and parts of the body slammed to the ground. Actually I wonder if she found that same video on the i-net but didn't want anyone to get hurt when the wrist lock and throw were applied. :D:D:D

That part of the displayed demo was I think was very sloppily underplayed as to what it was supposed to do. In fact I am not positive. But I think the idea was to break finger knuckles (since I have learned applications of that in Hapkido) and then move into a grab of the hand like you talked about (not in mid-air), and move into the wrist lock and throw.

So now I think I know what she thought she was talking about.

Wow, how did you sit there without laughing uproariously or at least snickering loud enough for all to hear? Your Gi must have been very strong that day. :p

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

In the thread - What arts are incompatible with each other? in Post 89, there is a link to
where the double slap is shown about 1:47 or so. It worked! then the demonstrator grabbed his opponent's hand in mid-air (Isn't he good?) (!!!???) and applied a wrist lock into a throw.

Sir, how could you put down a nun who obviously had that technique down pat? Well, minus the fact it would break knuckles, wrist, elbow/shoulder joints, and parts of the body slammed to the ground. Actually I wonder if she found that same video on the i-net but didn't want anyone to get hurt when the wrist lock and throw were applied. :D:D:D

That part of the displayed demo was I think was very sloppily underplayed as to what it was supposed to do. In fact I am not positive. But I think the idea was to break finger knuckles (since I have learned applications of that in Hapkido) and then move into a grab of the hand like you talked about (not in mid-air), and move into the wrist lock and throw.

Wow, how did you sit there without laughing uproariously or at least snickering loud enough for all to hear? Your Gi must have been very strong that day. :p

like I said...there was a lot of this that day...especially with the take down of 1 person, needing 5 people and one of them needed to have a pillow to protect the person being taken downs head

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Note: should also add, that evening, after this wonderful training, I had a nasty belligerent combative guy come in the ER. He decided to charge at me.... and since there were not 4 others around, 1 of those with a pillow, I just redirected his force around me, bounced him off the wall, and took him to the ground. He then said this..."ok., ok...I'll go back to my room now and behave". My response was, "I already know that"

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Note: should also add, that evening, after this wonderful training, I had a nasty belligerent combative guy come in the ER. He decided to charge at me.... and since there were not 4 others around, 1 of those with a pillow, I just redirected his force around me, bounced him off the wall, and took him to the ground. He then said this..."ok., ok...I'll go back to my room now and behave". My response was, "I already know that"

That's just pure luck that you weren't beaten or killed.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's just pure luck that you weren't beaten or killed.

Yes, I felt lucky....mostly because he was not a bleeding, nasty, belligerent, combative guy...just nasty, belligerent, and combative...oh and he as also a trained FBI killer...or at least that is what he told me...several times...just prior to his charge.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
like I said...there was a lot of this that day...especially with the take down of 1 person, needing 5 people and one of them needed to have a pillow to protect the person being taken downs head

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Oh. .... Oh, you didn't mention the pillow before. :eek: How lucky you weren't fired. :( :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh. .... Oh, you didn't mention the pillow before. :eek: How lucky you weren't fired. :( :D

Well, the pillow was not required, it was preferred. If the 5th person did not have a pillow available they could cradle the person head to protect it from impacting the floor...it was apparently ok if the person cradling the head had their knuckles smashed between the person head and the floor though...if the pillow was required...I'd have been out the door for sure....

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I felt lucky....mostly because he was not a bleeding, nasty, belligerent, combative guy...just nasty, belligerent, and combative...oh and he as also a trained FBI killer...or at least that is what he told me...several times...just prior to his charge.

Bleeding would be bad enough, but an FBI killer, trained at that? Oh my! :eek: Lucky he didn't have a pillow, eh? :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, the pillow was not required, it was preferred. If the 5th person did not have a pillow available they could cradle the person head to protect it from impacting the floor...it was apparently ok if the person cradling the head had their knuckles smashed between the person head and the floor though...if the pillow was required...I'd have been out the door for sure....

I can just see the guy now, sitting in his room, pouting, thinking ... "Next time I'll go to Radiology and I won't forget my pillow either."

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

That dojo has a couch. That sucker is going to smell really bad in a little while. Unless it's one of them no sweat dojos.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
That dojo has a couch. That sucker is going to smell really bad in a little while. Unless it's one of them no sweat dojos.

I heard it was only for the 12th Dans. I think that is the senior one sitting there evaluating the 11th Dan finishing his test by teaching another 11th Dan how to fix one's hair without a comb.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Another part of the training I went through, that did not endear me to the Nun giving the training. It was a reversal of a choke from behind that ending in an arm lock behind the attacker. That part was actually pretty solid, however what they did next was ridiculous. You were suppose to lightly push the attacker way.....it was then I heard myself say "If I have the attacker's arm like that...I'm riding that sucker to the wall".... That was not the way to go...I might hurt the person who was just trying to choke the life out of me.....

and for the rest of the class.....

giphy.gif

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

If you are going to rely on the sort of training they give you.

" it is going to take five guys for that to work"

Is actually the best advice they could have given.

(You sneak up and garrote them with the pillow though. Right)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another part of the training I went through, that did not endear me to the Nun giving the training. It was a reversal of a choke from behind that ending in an arm lock behind the attacker. That part was actually pretty solid, however what they did next was ridiculous. You were suppose to lightly push the attacker way.....it was then I heard myself say "If I have the attacker's arm like that...I'm riding that sucker to the wall".... That was not the way to go...I might hurt the person who was just trying to choke the life out of me.....

and for the rest of the class.....

giphy.gif

That is just incredible. I simply cannot cannot understand people who believe if they only show others the good way, the worst people in the world will be unable to act any other way. They are apparently unable to look around at reality. I just don't understand. :oops: :( Where did your administrators find that person?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That is just incredible. I simply cannot cannot understand people who believe if they only show others the good way, the worst people in the world will be unable to act any other way. They are apparently unable to look around at reality. I just don't understand. :oops: :( Where did your administrators find that person?

It was a Catholic Hospital and it was one of the Nuns

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was a Catholic Hospital and it was one of the Nuns

Oh. I guess that is understandable. Perhaps if you tell her people like that should be considered recalcitrant students she might modify her response? ;)

Latest Discussions