Ephedra Debate - Was Re: Creatine, to take or not to take

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a bottle of hydroxycut that is a year old (tried it for a few days, it made me sick, so I stopped) and it contains ma huong, which contains ephedra/ephedrine.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I pulled the info off several sites currently selling it. The manufacturer doesn't currently have much up.

I just checked GNC and they don't list it on their website.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/hydroxycut/hydroxycut-information.htm indicated that its ECA stack contains ephedra.

If you have a bottle handy, check the label and see if it says 'Ephedra free' or on the list of ingredients mentions either "Ma Huang" "Ephedra" or "Ephedrine".

I'm curious on how recently they switched formulations, or if theres multiple versions currently on the market.

I'm seeing some good info on Xenadrine EFX, when compared to the older formulation of Hydroycut. I'd be curious to hear how the 2 ephedra-free versions compare, given the good things also said about HC.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did a little more digging....
Assuming the 1 link above is correct on what the efedra-free version of HC contains, it would appear they also dropped the L-carnitine which might be why it was less effective.

I did some reading a few years back on L-carnitine and the 2 bits below agree with my earlier info, that L-carnitine is a good fat buster. Will have to do some further digging later on it.

http://www.carnipure.com/carnipure/en/what.html
L-Carnitine is a vitamin-like nutrient related to vitamins of the B-group (vitamin BT).

L-Carnitine is a physiological substance, essential for energy production and for fat metabolism.

In international classifications, L-Carnitine is listed next to choline, another vitamin-like nutrient.

L-Carnitine can be synthesized in the human liver, but insufficient amounts may be produced in infants, in adolescents and in adults under certain physiological conditions.

L-Carnitine turns fat into energy

http://www.all-natural.com/nutri.html
Carnitine

L-carnitine is an amino acid which nourishes the heart, nourishes and strengthens muscles, and nutritionally supports the circulatory system. L-Carnitine is considered to be a "carrier" of fat to the mitochondria or "fatburning" area of the cell. This remarkable amino acid-like substance is not only necessary for the metabolism of fat at the cellular level; it is also essential in the forming of firm, lean muscle tissue in the body. Recent studies support earlier research which shows that the heart has the greatest amount of L-Carnitine of any muscle in the body. L-Carnitine has also shown to be instrumental in the metabolism of cholesterol. Some overweight people may lack L-Carnitine in their bodies. The heart produces most of its energy from fats; thus is dependent upon L-carnitine. An L-Carnitine deficiency causes extreme metabolic impairment to heart tissue. On the other hand, supplemental L-Carnitine has proved to be beneficial to heart patients.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
With respect to the FDA (or similarly run regulatory agencies) my sympathies are libertarian - less is more. My take on the debate about ephedra has less to do with the "FDA vs. My Right To Do Whatever I Want" than my understanding of the drug.

Chinese herbalist rarely prescribe ephedra (ma huang) in large doses unless buffered by other herbs that mitigate its well-known side-effects. They do prescribe it for specific symptoms, the most common of which is cough or wheezing.

What you're talking about is a chemically metabolized and/or synthesized product that is many times the strength of the original source (a plant). My question would be: Why are you taking a much stronger version of a drug that has well-known side effects, for a purpose that has very little to do with its original use?

I'll grant that ephedra will jack you up and help you to lose weight.

Best,

Steve Lamade

cassidy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ma huang and ephedra are the same thing some companies put ma huang on the bottle so people don't get scared off by the evil word of EPHEDRA.

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Here is a simple test I use to verify whether or not I am taking too much Ephedra.

Items needed:
1) A Ferret from the local pet shop.
2) A handgun with a full clip of blanks.
3) A chunk of Crack.
4) A good pair of running shoes.
5) A backyard at least 20ft. square.
6) A brick.

Directions:
1) Feed the Ferret a little dog food mixed with the crack.
2) Wait 10-15 minutes.
3) Open your door to the back yard.
4) Start firing the handgun filled with blanks.
5) Try to catch the Ferret in less than 30 seconds or before he reaches the neighbors yard.

Findings:
1) If you can do this successfully, 2 out of 3 times, in less than 2 minutes, time to detox a bit.

2) If you can hit the Ferret with a brick, with out moving your feet, you have passed the 1st Dan test for "Brick Do" (c). At this point you may qualify to train at the Ushomikan in Kansas City, Mo. No Bratwurst, please!

Drawbacks:
I've noticed the neighbors don't wave back anymore(?). I guess science does have it's sacrifices.

Always thinkin',
white belt
:)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by white belt
Drawbacks:
I've noticed the neighbors don't wave back anymore(?).

Screw the neighbors. Next time throw the brick at them.:shrug: :rofl: :rofl:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note - Please note Mr. cassidy is no longer with us. Please ignore his comments and focus on the thread. If anyone wishes to comment, please send me a PM or Email.

Thank you.

Latest Discussions