Do you think its to dangerous drinking in different countries other than the USA?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
they use very low doses of choline in the uk water treatment and I own a water filter that removes that and the far more worrying aluminium, chlorine will boil off aluminium wont

They use very low doses of chlorine everywhere. The point was that you DO consume it, and it doesn't matter. Because low dose. Sort of like anything else. What basically determines if pretty much any substance is toxic or benign is dose.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They use very low doses of chlorine everywhere. The point was that you DO consume it, and it doesn't matter. Because low dose. Sort of like anything else. What basically determines if pretty much any substance is toxic or benign is dose.
not to mention sodium chloride is in every food, even when one does not add to it

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well I'm telling you I don't, I'm not sure how your certain I do, unless " you" is some generic term for most people. and isn't related directly to me at all

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yrs sodium cvl
not to mention sodium chloride is in every food, even when one does not add to it[/QUOTchloride is, but not " CHORINE
not to mention sodium chloride is in every food, even when one does not add to it
sodium chloride is but not clorene

yes sodium chloride occurs naturally in food, but not chlorine, which was you cvlaim, before a quick swerve, chlorine hardly occurs naturally at all, which is why they have to manufacture it

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yrs sodium cvl

yes sodium chloride occurs naturally in food, but not chlorine, which was you cvlaim, before a quick swerve, chlorine hardly occurs naturally at all, which is why they have to manufacture it
Did you check my other post, with the link that states table salt has chlorine?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
well I'm telling you I don't, I'm not sure how your certain I do, unless " you" is some generic term for most people. and isn't related directly to me at all

Really? Are you telling me that you personally drink nothing other than water you personally purify? Or drink any commercial drink? Or eat any food that you personally raise and prepare?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really? Are you telling me that you personally drink nothing other than water you personally purify? Or drink any commercial drink? Or eat any food that you personally raise and prepare?
that's a yes on the water, the only commercial drinks. have are coffee made with milk and there's no chlorine in uk food, they don wash out in clorinated water like they do in the states

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did you check my other post, with the link that states table salt has chlorine?
I did and your not reading it properly, when its mixed with sodium it become sodium chloride so not chlorine,r chlorine doesn't occur natrally as it keeps bonding with things you could separate the chlorine from the sodium, but when you swallow salt there is no chrolene in it only chloride

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did and your not reading it properly, when its mixed with sodium it become sodium chloride so not chlorine,r chlorine doesn't occur natrally as it keeps bonding with things you could separate the chlorine from the sodium, but when you swallow salt there is no chrolene in it only chloride
I thought UK schools were better than this

It's the same element. Very much disproving that 'a poison is always a poison'

You know, like Mercury is always bad, or Aluminium when either element has been used in various compounds internally for ages.
I am off tho, getting me some sodium chloride, filled with some cashews.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I thought UK schools were better than this

It's the same element. Very much disproving that 'a poison is always a poison'

You know, like Mercury is always bad, or Aluminium when either element has been used in various compounds internally for ages.
I am off tho, getting me some sodium chloride, filled with some cashews.
really, ha ha, an element is a pure substance, ie chlorine,sodium chloride is a compound,it.can't be the same element because its no longer an element, that's why it's called chloride, gaining or losing electrons can make a substance more or less toxic or not toxic at all ,coz chemistry

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
that's a yes on the water, the only commercial drinks. have are coffee made with milk and there's no chlorine in uk food, they don wash out in clorinated water like they do in the states

According to THIS information, provided by the Government of the UK (you know, the people who run the water treatment plants), you're full of ****. And chlorine, too.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
According to THIS information, provided by the Government of the UK (you know, the people who run the water treatment plants), you're full of ****. And chlorine, too.
?? I filter my water, how are you suggesting I ingest it ?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
?? I filter my water, how are you suggesting I ingest it ?

Even things like reverse osmosis don't remove all the chlorine. Only about 98%.
But hey, there's no reason to let reality interfere with your life.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
really, ha ha, an element is a pure substance, ie chlorine,sodium chloride is a compound,it.can't be the same element because its no longer an element, that's why it's called chloride, gaining or losing electrons can make a substance more or less toxic or not toxic at all ,coz chemistry
Coz Chemistry....an element is an element, and no chemical reaction changes the element.
Fusion changes elements,
but you are doing a fantastic demonstration of the back peddle on the 'a poison is always a poison' doctrine of yours. Definitely a 9.5, possibly a 10

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All those years in most people’s misspent youth drinking, I wasn’t, I was training. Never even drank a beer.

I didn’t start drinking until my mid fifties, and, man am I having fun! And now I know why all you guys were laughing back then.

Am I poisoning myself? Like I give a rat’s ash.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
All those years in most people’s misspent youth drinking, I wasn’t, I was training. Never even drank a beer.

I didn’t start drinking until my mid fifties, and, man am I having fun! And now I know why all you guys were laughing back then.

Am I poisoning myself? Like I give a rat’s ash.

I'm in much the same boat. I rarely had alcohol - maybe 1-2 drinks a year. Until after my second round of cancer treatment. Now, I'll have a drink 3-4 times a week. There's something about getting in the hottub that requires a glass of wine, you know.
At this point, I pretty much know what's going to kill me, and it won't be my drinking.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in much the same boat. I rarely had alcohol - maybe 1-2 drinks a year. Until after my second round of cancer treatment. Now, I'll have a drink 3-4 times a week. There's something about getting in the hottub that requires a glass of wine, you know.
At this point, I pretty much know what's going to kill me, and it won't be my drinking.
I think wine in a hot tub counts as low-level chemo. I'm certain I read that in a journal somewhere...the title escapes me.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Coz Chemistry....an element is an element, and no chemical reaction changes the element.
Fusion changes elements,
but you are doing a fantastic demonstration of the back peddle on the 'a poison is always a poison' doctrine of yours. Definitely a 9.5, possibly a 10
no, a element is by definition pure, if its not pure its not an element

and I haven't said a poison is always a poison, that clearly not so if you combine it with something that makes it inert, I said alcohol was always a poison, a fact you haven't actually tried to dispute, rather going off on a train that as you are exposed on a daily basis to toxins, it doesn't matter if you also poison yourself with alcohol, which is not a logical outcome

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Oh man, that glass of wine in a hot tub thing. I happened to do that the first year I started to imbibe. That did not go well. My wife had to half carry me back to the car (we were on the road, going cross country)
I was legless and dizzy.

Lesson learned - maybe try to hold the glass in the other hand or something.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Are you confusing different types of alcohol? Obviously drinking rubbing alcohol or other alcohols that are not for drinking and used for industrial use would be a poison.

A basic axiom of pharmacology is simple. “The dosage makes the toxin.”

When consumed in moderate amounts, ethanol is not a toxin. However, in large enough quantities it can cause alcohol poisoning. In such cases, the dosage makes alcohol a poison or toxin. Although rare, this is also true of water.

On the other hand, alcohol in moderation leads to better health and greater longevity. Either abstaining from alcohol or abusing it leads to poorer health and shorter life.

Alcohol a poison or toxin? The answer is important if you drink alcohol.

Latest Discussions