Do you think its to dangerous drinking in different countries other than the USA?

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you think its to dangerous drinking in different countries other than the USA?

I was having a conversation with a family member today. He is a long time AA member and true believer. I mentioned I was going to the Bahamas on vacation. He brought up the subject that you have to be very careful when drinking in foreign countries. He mentioned there is a lot of people who get sick and die from tainted alcohol in foreign countries that don't have the same safety and manufacturing standards as we do in the good old USA. He mentioned the recent deaths of tourists in the Dominican Republic that some people are linking to possibly tainted alcohol. Although that hasn't been proven as of yet and they are still investigating from what I understand. So who knows what the deal is down in the Dominican Republic in reality.

Anyway anybody have concerns or think its a unreasonably high risk of being served tainted alcohol when your out of the country on vacation? Now I have personally drank quite a bit overseas and never run into any issue. Some in Europe (France, Iceland) which I don't think is any more dangerous then the USA at all. Not dealing with to many 3rd world countries in Europe with no safety standards at all.

South of the border I guess I could see a bit more of a concern I guess. Although I have had many a drink in Mexico and Costa Rica and never had any issue myself. But I guess when your dealing with these impoverished nations I could see them possibly cutting corners on health and safety in alcohol production.

Although I guess I drank Corona's imported from Mexico or other imported alcohol on occasion here in the United States. So isn't that the same thing as drinking it down there? I don't know if a Corona imported into the USA as to meet higher safety standards then on one purchased at a resort in Mexico?

Anyway thoughts?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think a lot of those fears (like the recent deaths in dr) are blown out of propertion. They've got a couple million tourists each year, and like 35 of them died, is that right? Nothing about that seems suspicipus to me...people partying more than their used to end up having medical issues and dont see a doctor because they're on vacation and it can wait till they get back...but sometimes it cant, and because they didnt see anyone, no one knows the cause. Plus again, its a double digit number out of millions of tourists.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are divers. We travel. A lot. I've had drinks in pretty much every country in Western Europe and most of the Caribbean. I've had lots of drinks in Mexico. Lots in the Bahamas. Lots in the Netherlands Antilles. Lots in the Caymans. Lots in the Virgin Islands. Lots in Honduras. Never a lot at one time, because I don't like to be drunk. But plenty, over the years.
I've seen people sick because of the booze in all those places. But that's because they don't know when to stop, not because there's anything wrong with the booze.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think a lot of those fears (like the recent deaths in dr) are blown out of propertion. They've got a couple million tourists each year, and like 35 of them died, is that right? Nothing about that seems suspicipus to me...people partying more than their used to end up having medical issues and dont see a doctor because they're on vacation and it can wait till they get back...but sometimes it cant, and because they didnt see anyone, no one knows the cause. Plus again, its a double digit number out of millions of tourists.

It's a trivially small number, when the total number of tourists is considered. And, too, the fact that they're vacationing increases the risk of certain health problems. The condition known as "Holiday Heart" is aptly named.
It's just fear mongering.
Sue, Kim and I went diving in Mexico when the Swine Flu panic was at it's peak. It was lovely. The beaches and dive sites were practically empty, and none of the restaurants required reservations. I tried to find someone sick, so I could quarantine us for another week or so, but I couldn't find anyone who looked remotely sick.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
it depends on what country you go to, if they brewed the beer on the back porch with the goats lapping from it, or the Bahamas.
For starters, this mindset of your family member is one of arrogance that only the US does things right (hint: it's not true)
you won't vacation in the slums where people might be tempted to make moonshine (widely available in the US, the illegal stuff, not the sanitized branded stuff in the liquor store)
you will be on the sunny side of town, where they don't want their customers to die from bathtub gin!
and unlike propaganda spread by certain circles, most destination countries are actually civilized. They don't want their customers to die either. It is - after all - bad for business.

the risk Americans run when they drink abroad is that they drink too much, because they are on vacation, don't drink at home, and that drink in the coconut/pineapple contains a ton of strong spirits, and after the third one, because it goes down like juice, and you can barely taste the alcohol.
Then suddenly the floor hits you in the face when you get up.
A huge problem for females, as vacation mode lowers your sense of self preservation and people think since it's paradize, everybody is sweet and kind. (Natalee Holloway comes to mind, poor thing)

A lot of alcohol is produced abroad! the Bahamas are one of the islands were rum is being made.

Some places it is not advised to use the ice. But let's face it, there are many places in the US right now where one should not consume the tap water either.
and getting Montezuma's Revenge is a matter of the unaccustomed cuisine that messes with your intestinal flora.
A good remedy is to have a shot before and after each meal.

And yeah, AA members also believe that you become a raging alcoholic with the first drink....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Don't drink the water or use ice cubes in China. The alcohol is ok, generally and boiled water, for tea, is generally OK as well...but there are a lot of things you should not do in China, as it applies to food

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some places it is not advised to use the ice.

And that, in many cases, is also nonsense.
I've been told by well meaning friends many times not to drink the water and to beware the ice cubes when we travel to Cozumel. They probably don't know that we've been on Cozumel about 50 times.
Here's the thing. Cozumel runs a desalination plant for most of it's water (in other words, it's plenty pure) or imports it.
The idea that the resorts are going to make you sick is silly. They want you to come back.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And that, in many cases, is also nonsense.
I've been told by well meaning friends many times not to drink the water and to beware the ice cubes when we travel to Cozumel. They probably don't know that we've been on Cozumel about 50 times.
Here's the thing. Cozumel runs a desalination plant for most of it's water (in other words, it's plenty pure) or imports it.
The idea that the resorts are going to make you sick is silly. They want you to come back.

Actually the ice warning comes from the CDC Center for Disease Control and Prevention

Ice
Avoid ice in developing countries; it was likely made with tap water.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually the ice warning comes from the CDC Center for Disease Control and Prevention

Ice
Avoid ice in developing countries; it was likely made with tap water.

And since it's a Government Agency, it's always right. Especially when speaking in massive generalities.
#facepalm
The CDC has been guilty of more than a little fear mongering too, over the years. Because budget increases.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And since it's a Government Agency, it's always right. Especially when speaking in massive generalities.
#facepalm
The CDC has been guilty of more than a little fear mongering too, over the years. Because budget increases.

Not sure why I bother when you are in a mood....not to worry, I won't bother again

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it's dangerous to get drunk in unfamiliar territory, but wouldn't abstain from having a drink or two. There are shady characters in lots of tourist type places that prey on the tourists, not just in foreign countries. If you're staggering down a dark street, you are a walking cheeseburger to these types.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure why I bother when you are in a mood....not to worry, I won't bother again

I didn't think I was in a mood. I just think broad generalities tend to be ridiculous. As is the massive amount of fear mongering engaged in by government and "journalists" these days.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I probably won't leave my home country again. Too much here I still want to see.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But the diving in the US just isn't that good.

I suppose it isn't, no. A lot of people dive here, but I don't know anything about how good it is, I don't really do water in any way, shape or form.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose it isn't, no. A lot of people dive here, but I don't know anything about how good it is, I don't really do water in any way, shape or form.

There are a couple dives there that should be "bucket list" items for any diver.
One is the Manta Ray dive. It's at night. You dangle off a line at 70-80 feet and shine lights up. That attracts plankton, which attracts Manta Rays.
The other is the back wall at Molokini. It's another deep water dive, but there's a good chance of seeing schools of Hammerheads. It's an advanced dive, however, because the seas tend to be very rough, which makes getting in the boat a challenge, and because the currents tend to be very fast.
Other than those two, Hawaii is good, but not great.
Above water, it's one of the most spectacular and amazing places in the world.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it depends on what country you go to, if they brewed the beer on the back porch with the goats lapping from it, or the Bahamas.
For starters, this mindset of your family member is one of arrogance that only the US does things right (hint: it's not true)
you won't vacation in the slums where people might be tempted to make moonshine (widely available in the US, the illegal stuff, not the sanitized branded stuff in the liquor store)
you will be on the sunny side of town, where they don't want their customers to die from bathtub gin!
and unlike propaganda spread by certain circles, most destination countries are actually civilized. They don't want their customers to die either. It is - after all - bad for business.

the risk Americans run when they drink abroad is that they drink too much, because they are on vacation, don't drink at home, and that drink in the coconut/pineapple contains a ton of strong spirits, and after the third one, because it goes down like juice, and you can barely taste the alcohol.
Then suddenly the floor hits you in the face when you get up.
A huge problem for females, as vacation mode lowers your sense of self preservation and people think since it's paradize, everybody is sweet and kind. (Natalee Holloway comes to mind, poor thing)

A lot of alcohol is produced abroad! the Bahamas are one of the islands were rum is being made.

Some places it is not advised to use the ice. But let's face it, there are many places in the US right now where one should not consume the tap water either.
and getting Montezuma's Revenge is a matter of the unaccustomed cuisine that messes with your intestinal flora.
A good remedy is to have a shot before and after each meal.

And yeah, AA members also believe that you become a raging alcoholic with the first drink....
And to the point about ice - the danger with water in many cases isn't even that it's more contaminated than in the US. Rather the danger is that it's contaminated differently, and our bodies aren't equipped to deal with what's in their water. That's why I got sick in Paris on my first trip there, but locals can drink the water just fine.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are a couple dives there that should be "bucket list" items for any diver.
One is the Manta Ray dive. It's at night. You dangle off a line at 70-80 feet and shine lights up. That attracts plankton, which attracts Manta Rays.
The other is the back wall at Molokini. It's another deep water dive, but there's a good chance of seeing schools of Hammerheads. It's an advanced dive, however, because the seas tend to be very rough, which makes getting in the boat a challenge, and because the currents tend to be very fast.
Other than those two, Hawaii is good, but not great.
Above water, it's one of the most spectacular and amazing places in the world.

I understand this on an intellectual level of course. And it certainly must be amazing.
But to non water person like myself it's like reading the script of a horror movie.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand this on an intellectual level of course. And it certainly must be amazing.
But to non water person like myself it's like reading the script of a horror movie.

Buka, if I'm ever on Hawaii again, you're going diving with us.

Latest Discussions