Do you think its to dangerous drinking in different countries other than the USA?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you confusing different types of alcohol? Obviously drinking rubbing alcohol or other alcohols that are not for drinking and used for industrial use would be a poison.

A basic axiom of pharmacology is simple. “The dosage makes the toxin.”

When consumed in moderate amounts, ethanol is not a toxin. However, in large enough quantities it can cause alcohol poisoning. In such cases, the dosage makes alcohol a poison or toxin. Although rare, this is also true of water.

On the other hand, alcohol in moderation leads to better health and greater longevity. Either abstaining from alcohol or abusing it leads to poorer health and shorter life.

Alcohol a poison or toxin? The answer is important if you drink alcohol.
no, I'm not, so what is the reasonable amount that doesn't cause you harm ?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man, that glass of wine in a hot tub thing. I happened to do that the first year I started to imbibe. That did not go well. My wife had to half carry me back to the car (we were on the road, going cross country)
I was legless and dizzy.

Lesson learned - maybe try to hold the glass in the other hand or something.

You have to remember that the vasodilatation from the hottub will make the effect of the alcohol much more pronounced.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Update.
FBI just released the results of there investigation. The tourist did not die from tainted alcohol. It was natural causes. So guess the story was overblown by the media.

FBI finds no link among tourist deaths in D.R.: Travel Weekly
well i'm not surprised it turn out to be nonsense, how do you feel about your part in spreading unsubstantiated rumours in increasing the poverty in one of the poorest countries on earth ?

as it is, that people would sooner cancel their cheap holiday rather than do without alcohol for a week, shows the level of alcohol dependency in society

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
well i'm not surprised it turn out to be nonsense, how do you feel about your part in spreading unsubstantiated rumours in increasing the poverty in one of the poorest countries on earth ?

I think I was doing the opposite of spreading unsubstantiated rumours. My initial post was skeptical of the idea the alcohol was tainted and I thought the fear was overblown. So if anything I was trying to correct the hysteria and rumors.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
this quote from your op seems not to support the quote above

''But I guess when your dealing with these impoverished nations I could see them possibly cutting corners on health and safety in alcohol production.''

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Update.
FBI just released the results of there investigation. The tourist did not die from tainted alcohol. It was natural causes. So guess the story was overblown by the media.

FBI finds no link among tourist deaths in D.R.: Travel Weekly

To clarify; cause of death was determined by Dominican authorities to be from natural causes, not the FBI. The FBI determined there was no connection with the tourist deaths.
But fully agree that in this day and age of instant, un-vetted news, you need to look deeper into things before you run off spouting what could be unsubstantiated rumors in the place of facts

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To clarify; cause of death was determined by Dominican authorities to be from natural causes, not the FBI. The FBI determined there was no connection with the tourist deaths.
But fully agree that in this day and age of instant, un-vetted news, you need to look deeper into things before you run off spouting what could be unsubstantiated rumors in the place of facts

Yes you are correct. It says no connection between deaths. But it said Toxicology testing completed to date have been consistent with the findings of local authorities. So I guess there is no evidence the Dominican authorities were incorrect that the deaths were from natural causes.

a State Department spokesperson said, “Toxicology testing completed to date have been consistent with the findings of local authorities. We have seen no increase over the past several years in the number of U.S. citizens who pass away while visiting or living in the Dominican Republic. Many of the U.S. citizen deaths reported in media were determined by Dominican authorities to be from natural causes. We have no indication of any connection between these deaths.”

Latest Discussions