Different Ryuha???

P

phlux

Does anyone here have any insight on where to look for specific techniques from the various Ryuha within Bujinkan?

i.e. I currently study in the Bay Area - and while I really enjoy going to classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays - its not enough for me... and I would like to study more.

There is lots of talk about Togakure, Gyokko, Koto etc...

We are working on the current Theme elements and Kihon Happo etc - but I would like to learn techniques from specific Ryu.

Basically I feel that I dont have a solid foundation as I would not be able to differentiate between Ryu at this point. Aside from the "Keep Training" type of advice - are there any resources that one can look to in order to solidify, or even just begin to create, their foundational understanding of wahts what?

Thanks!

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't mean this at all as a blow off type answer, but it honestly doesn't matter. What you study is Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, not the specific ryuha. At times, you may hear instructors mention, "Such and such is a Koto ryu type way of dealing with this"....but all in all, it's in the same batch.

The foundational understanding will come in time...in Bujinkan Taijutsu. Allow the time exploring with the themes to take seat.

OP
P

phlux

Thanks guys,

Jay Bell: I agree that it doesnt really matter on one level - but at the same time it does matter, and here is the reason why.

I studied for some time with a Professor. It was a fantastic class, and I learned a great deal. We did a combonation of Danzanryu jujitsu, Judo and Taijutsu/Ninjitsu (unarmed and armed is how I am differnetiating those two)

I trained there for about 4 years with solid training. at least 3 or 4 times a week and for at least 3 to 4 hours each session... which is quite a bit of training - but in all that time we were told "the names of the techniques dont matter - just train dont worry about learning names on lists"

and so we did... but here is why that is not always a good idea; I now have no language to communicate with other martialartists. because I cant name specific techniques, even though I probably know all the lists for the arts I was doing, I have a difficult time explaining what it is I want to convey.

In addition when people ask me "do you know such-and-such?" I have to shrug and say "show me" then when I see it - its usually something I have done before....

Taijutsu is about the principles of movement and the physics of the human body - but communication requires describable states...

so I would say that in what we do, techniques act as mnemonics for the conveying of principles, and I merely want to better the vocabulary of my body language.

Pervaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think you have to understand some history around each ryu and hence the technique. Remember that a kata is a shortened form of some knowledge so you have to put it into a context e.g. modern example if you wrote "Drive the car from A to B" this assumes that you know what a car is and how to drive (assume you are 1000 years ahead in history)..

Each ryu has a different metholodolgy/history (I assume that you use Hatsumi as the source of knowledge rather than the web!)..for example the heavy feeling of koto ryu (due to the armour and hence battle field skills) compared to the 'lighter' feeling of Gyokko compared to the angles and linear motion of Togakure...

If you understand the context for the katas - then you can add the henka and 'modernise' it (if you have to !!)..

P

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by phlux
I now have no language to communicate with other martialartists. because I cant name specific techniques, even though I probably know all the lists for the arts I was doing, I have a difficult time explaining what it is I want to convey.

Phlux,
I had/have a similar problem...

My old Bujinkan instructor never bothered with the names of the techniques beyond "This is the Sanshin" "this is the Kihon Happo" and I didnt get any individual names... My new Bujinkan Instructor (who I have only been with for 4 months) uses all the names and terminology, and since I have rank, he expects me to be able to demonstrate the skills... so he says "Do an Omote Gyaku" and I am like, "Uh... Omote... thats which one..." once he tells me which it is, I can do it...

It made my first test with him last week "awkward" to say the least, So I feel for you...

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
It can be hard not knowing terminology but not impossible. They are just words. With my being deaf, you can just imagine my reactions. So my instructor always makes a point of showing the technique so I know which one to perform or work on etc.

I think as an instructor it is important to teach the terminology but also "show" the technique as well instead of just going... "Do Omote Gyaku". Falls under that old verbage, if you hear it, see it and write it down, you'll remember it...or something like that.

Deaf

OP
K

Kage no Ryu

Each ryu has a different metholodolgy/history (I assume that you use Hatsumi as the source of knowledge rather than the web!)..for example the heavy feeling of koto ryu (due to the armour and hence battle field skills) compared to the 'lighter' feeling of Gyokko compared to the angles and linear motion of Togakure...

Oh, could you perhaps elaborate on this?? What kind of methodology and "feeling" characterizes these different schools??

Thanks! :asian:

Latest Discussions