Ninjutsu does not do forms right

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does Ninjutsu have forms at all I am just want to know cause there is a school in detriot that goes and competes with forms And I thought Ninjutsu had none was I wrong or is the school teaching something else maybe?

P

Pyros

The known authentic ninjutsu styles such as in Bujinkan, don't do the kind of solo forms popular in Okinawan and Chinese based arts, but they do the kind of two man forms (a.k.a. kata) that are popular in authentic Japanese bujutsu. While the Chinese/Okinawa based solo forms are often long, with dozens or hundreds of moves, the two man forms of Japan usually only last a few seconds.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is also the Sanshin no Kata of Gyokko-ryu. They are technically solo forms, but still more akin to Japanese bujutsu kata than those of karate or kung fu.

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
sanshin no kata is basically broken down into 3 diifferent sets. One of the sets uses the same movement as in the previous sets but with a partner. Hence a partner drill or kata.

I do not know the names of the sets within the sanshin no kata. My deafness makes it really hard to get the Japanese so sorry.

I believe Jay may be able to answer that or someone else on this board?

HTH

Deaf

A

AaronLucia

The Sanshin no Kata is comprised of

1. Chi No Kata
2. Sui No Kata
3. Fu No Kata
4. Ka No Kata
5. Ku No Kata

:)

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
TallAdam85 said:
Does Ninjutsu have forms at all I am just want to know cause there is a school in detriot that goes and competes with forms And I thought Ninjutsu had none was I wrong or is the school teaching something else maybe?

All depends on what you mean by "form"; the Japanese term kata does translate as "form or "shape".

If you want a better sense of how the Bujinkan uses the term, see this section on kata on the FAQ page at my website.

A

AnimEdge

What do you mean by forms?

Are you taking about like take down techs as forms or like when you punch you must end in a certain way in position like i have seen in TKD?

Cuz if you mean in the secound one we dont do that in mine where you must Punch at a 45 angle and slide your feet to face a area with your knees bent or whatever it is done(that was all made up) infact we even pick on the TKD people that are in my class about doing that when he talks about the stuff he does in his :p

So i have never heard any of those terms you guys have used :p

A

AaronLucia

As far as iv'e heard/felt, the Sanshin no Kata is basically just training for body movements, they aren't really moves to be rigidly adhered to.

In combat, forms disappear, and moves just flow (or should).