Togakure-ryu Ninpo Taijutsu

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The time that I spent studying Togakure ryu, I absolutely loved. Especially the weapon skills. Very deep spiritual connection with nature. There's nothing like Togakure seminars up in the mountains in the middle of nowhere...

OP
heretic888

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah?? What's the Taijutsu like?? I've read its basically a combination of Gyokko-ryu and Koto-ryu techniques....

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hrm...well...it is a combination of Gyokko ryu and Koto ryu, yet the point of the waza are much different. In Togakure ryu, combat occurs to save the life of the opponent. If things were to continue on with violence, then the result may be death. So many of the taijutsu waza are based on striking, throwing the opponent, throwing metsubishi and running away to hide.

The weapon skills are great. Lots of hidden things occuring that at first glance aren't seen. The weapon work tends to be much more brutal then Taijutsu.

OP
heretic888

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice, sounds very effective.

Why do you suppose the weapon skills are so much more brutal than the Taijutsu?? Also, how would you say the kyushojutsu skills of Togakure-ryu differ from that of the Koto-ryu or Gyokko-ryu??

Thanks. :)

K

Kage no Ryu

What is the striking like in Togakure Ryu?? Is there a big emphasis on hitting pressure and vital points?? Does it make use of "power" movements meant to down the attacker quicky??

Would you say the grappling is more like Aikido or perhaps Chin Na?? Or something else altogether??

I don't suppose I could perhaps bother you for an example from the system of a typical technique?? :)

I hope all these questions don't bother you all, but I am really interested in learning more about this school!

Thanks. :asian: