Budo Ryuha Daijiten Translations

“Should these translations be posted on Martial Talk”?

• Yes

• No, remove them immediately

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am posting this on behalf of Kizaru, who at the moment cannot post a poll.

==========

I’ve translated the below information from Japanese to English from the “Bugei Ryuha Daijiten”.

I feel this information would be a useful reference for the discussions here, although I also realize some people may not want it here. Therefore, please voice your opinion in the poll. If after 9 days, 75% of the voters want it removed, it will be removed immediately. At the same time, if the information is abused in any way whatsoever, I already have the consent and agreement from the Martial Talk owner and Technical Administrator that the information will be removed from the forum IMMEDIATELY.

With that being said, please enjoy the following…

Translated from the “Bugei Ryuha Daijiten” page 229

[font='&#65325]玉虎流(骨指術、指頭術、忍法)[/font]

Gyokko ryu “Jade Tiger” or “Tiger Sphere tradition” (Kosshijutsu, Shitojutsu, Ninpo)

The ancestory is Toda Sakyo Ishinsai.

Receiving the tradition of Gyokko ryu Shitojutsu from Sakagami Taro Kunishige of the Tenbun era, Toda Sakyo Ishinsai established Gyokko ryu Koshijutsu as well as Koto ryu Koppojutsu, passing them on to Momochi Sandayu, bringing them within the traditions of Iga ryu Ninjutsu of Toda Shinryuken who lived during the end of the Tokugawa regime. It is said that Shinryuken Masamitsu*in the 14th year of the Meiji Emperor, passed away at the age of 90 years.

Also, refer to Koto ryu.

Gyokko ryu Koshijutsu

Tozawa Hakuunsai** - Tozawa Shosuke – Suzuki Saburo Shigeyoshi - (6 generations of Suzuki, not listed) – Sakagami Goro Katsushige – Sakagami Taro Kunishige (Gyokko ryu Shitojutsu) - Bando Kotaro Minamoto no Masahide – Sogyokkan***

Sogyokkan passes the tradition onto four students;

1. Sasaki Gendayu Sadayasu (Kishu) – Sasaki Goro Uemon Teruyori (Gyokkshin ryu Koppo)

2. Suzuki Taizen Taro Chikamasa (Hontai Gyokkshin ryu)…(3 generations not listed) Fukao Kakuma Shigeyoshi (Izumo ryu Koppo)

3. Akimoto Kawauchi Moriyoshi – Uryu Hangan Gikanbo (Gikan ryu Koppo) …Akimoto Taro Yoshihide

4. Toda Sakyo Ishinsai (Koshijutsu / Koppo) – Momochi Sandayu (Tenbun era) – Momochi Sandayu II (Tensho era) – Momochi Tanba Yasumitsu (Keicho era) – Momochi Taro Saemon …(4 generations omitted) -

Translator’s Notes

* Toda Shinryuken and Shinryuken Masamitsu are the same person. “Toda” is the family name, “Shinryuken Masamitsu” is the given name.

** Strangely, same “Hakuun” as in “Hakkun ryu Ninjutsu”

*** Sogyokkan and Sogyokkan Ritsushi (see Koto ryu) are the same person.

Translated from the “Bugei Ryuha Daijiten” page 689

[font='&#65325]白雲流 [/font]([font='&#65325]忍[/font])

Hakuun ryu “White Cloud Tradition” (Nin [jutsu])

Said to be founded by Hakuun Doushi in the Youwa era [1181.7.14 to 1182.5.27].

Translated from the “Bugei Ryuha Daijiten” page 296

[font='&#65325]五遁十方流(忍)白雲流より[/font]

Go Ton Juupou ryu “5 Escapes in Ten Directions Tradition” (Nin [jutsu] )

From Hakkun ryu “White Cloud Tradition”

Translated from the “Bugei Ryuha Daijiten” page 689

[font='&#65325]羽黒流 [/font]([font='&#65325]忍[/font])

Haguro ryu [named after Haguro mountain] (Nin [jutsu])

From the Akita clan.

Translated from the “Bugei Ryuha Daijiten” page 213

[font='&#65325]義鑑流(剣)[/font]

Gikan ryu “Regard for Truth, Loyalty and Justice Tradition” (Ken [jutsu])

Uryu Kaiun Nyudougikan. In ?? this Zen priest founded Uryuji Temple. January, Second year of Engen, together with his brother in Kenta, passed away.

Translator’s Note: This school of Gikan ryu is NOT related to the school of Gikan ryu that Hatsumi Masaaki inherited from Takamatsu Toshitsugu.

Translated from the “Bugei Ryuha Daijiten” page 214

[font='&#65325]義鑑流[/font] ([font='&#65325]骨法[/font])

Gikan ryu “Regard for Truth, Loyalty and Justice Tradition” (Koppo)

(Toda Shinryuken Masamitsu’s oral tradition) From the tradition of Gyokko ryu Shitojutsu of Sakagami Taro Kunishige, in the middle years of the Eiroku era Uryu Hangan Gikanbo of Kawachi is said to have founded [this tradition], thus the previously noted Uryu Gikan is most likely another person. Refer to the genealogy of Gyokko ryu.

Gikan ryu Koppo

Uryu Hangan Gikanbo … (omission) …Uryu Yoshimitsu (Tensho era) - Uryu Yoshichika (Kanbun era) – Yoshitaka (Genroku era) – Yoshihide (Horeki era) – Yoshimori (Kansei era) – Yoshiaki (Tenpo era) – Yoshiyasu (Bunkyu era) – Gikan (Keio era) – Ishitani Matsutaro – Takamatsu Toshitsugu passed the system to Akimoto Fumio, and to Hatsumi Masaaki.

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
George Kohler said:
Shouldn't it be Bugei Ryuha Daijiten instead of Budo Ryuha Daijiten?
I borrowed the book from a friend awhile ago and photocopied the pages that were important to me. The title of the book isn't printed on any of the pages. I thought the title of the book was Budo ryuha Daijiten, but my memory isn't perfect, I'll check and find out.

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kizaru said:
I borrowed the book from a friend awhile ago and photocopied the pages that were important to me. The title of the book isn't printed on any of the pages. I thought the title of the book was Budo ryuha Daijiten, but my memory isn't perfect, I'll check and find out.
Okay, I checked.

The articles I photocopied were from a book entitled "Bugei ryuha Daijiten" , by Yamada and Watatani, 1978 edition; blue cover, gold lettering.

I apologize for any confusion. Next time I make photocopies, I'll write the name of the text on the back. In any event, if the Martial Talk Technical Administrator isn't too busy, maybe he could edit the title and the "Translated from.." lines for us....

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Done. I think I got all the instances. If I missed any, please let me know.
:asian:

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

The result of the poll was above 75%, so for the time being, I guess we're keeping this. The next translation I've done is for "Koto ryu". In the beginning of this article it is mentioned that "the genesis of koppojutsu is said to have been ancient China." This does not mean that Koto ryu is a Chinese martial art, it means that some of the concepts may have come to Japan from China the same way that Chinese characters were incorporated into the Japanese language generations ago. Saying that, I am open to any and all discussion on the following.

Enjoy...

Translated from the "Bugei Ryuha Daijiten" page 296
[font='&#65325]虎倒流 ([font='&#65325]骨法[/font])[/font]
Koto ryu "Tiger Knock Down Tradition" (Koppou #)

The genesis of koppoujutsu is said to have been in ancient China. Koto ryu was brought to our country by a Chan Bushou* of Korea, after this it was brought within the traditions of Iga ryu Ninjutsu, and it’s revitalization in the Tenbun era is said to have been from Momochi Sandayu inheriting the tradition from Toda Sakyo Ishinsai (oral tradition from Toda Shinryuken). Still, for more supporting articles, also refer to Gyokko ryu.

Sakagami Taro Kunishige (10th year of Tenbun era held the position of "Sanyushi"** at Sekimi Ginzan Castle[font='&#65325]、Gyokko ryu Kosshijutsu) - Bando Kotaro Minamoto no Masahide (10th year of Tenbun died in battle) - Sogyokkan Ritsushi*** - Toda Sakyo Ishinsai (Tenbun era Koto ryu Koppojutsu founder) - Momochi Sandayu (Tenbun era) - Momochi Sandayu II(Gensho era) - Momochi Tanba Yasumitsu (Keicho era, master of Tatsuguchi castle) - Momochi Taro Saemon (Genna era) - Toda Seiryu Nobutsuna (Kwanyei era) - Toda Fudo Nobuchika (Manji era) -Toda Kangoro Nobuyasu -Toda Eisaburo Nobumasa - Toda Shingoro Masayoshi -Toda Daigoro Masayoshi - Toda Daisaburo Chikashige - Toda Shinryuken Masamitsu -Takamatsu Toshitsugu, - Hatsumi Masaaki [/font]
Translator’s Notes:

* The family name "Chan" is pronounced "Chou" in Japanese and "Zhang" in Chinese; it is not a Korean name. The given name "Busho" consists of the character for "martial" (Bu from Bushido) and "victory". This would imply that this person was neither a monk nor a peasant.

** The characters written here are [font='&#65325]三 "san", meaning "three" and [font='&#65325]勇士[/font] "yuushi" meaning "hero". [/font]

*** The "So" character denotes that this person was a Buddhist monk. The "Gyoku" character is the character for "ball" or "jade" and the "Kan" is the character for "Kannon", Bohdisatva of Compassion.

# "Koppo" is made up of two characters, the first can be read as “Hone” to mean "bone" or "Kotsu" to mean "trick, knack or skill". In modern Japanese, the katakana "kotsu" is most often seen to mean "trick or knack", whereas in Pre World War 2 Japanese, "kotsu" was most often represented with the same character used to write "bone". Why? When you’ve got the knack, it’s just in your bones.
The second character in "Koppou" is "Hou" which means "method" or "law". The combination of "Kotsu" and "Hou" has it’s own reading of "Koppo" which could be clumsily translated into English as "Bone Method". Although, if we look it up in a Japanese dictionary, we can see that it’s got a variety of meanings, all of which could be applied to the ryu. The first meaning being "the framework or organization of bones in the body. The skeleton." The second, "The roots of provisions. Fundamentals."

I’ll be the first to admit that reading Pre World War 2 Japanese and people’s names is difficult, if I’ve made any mistakes, please bring them to my attention. All mistakes are my own.

Latest Discussions