Deflecting Hammer

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by WilliamTLear
I shoulda used You're instead of Your... LOL
Mogno go home now.

Me am not caring. Me am still liking you lots.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kiddies,
(I'm bored and tired, don't mean to step on toes, if I do, please move your foot next time :D)

IMHO Judo in convergence with another art is deadly. The fact Judo as a sport is (We had nine broken necks last year, and there are more ways it seems to kill your uke accidently then on purose) translates well to the street. Although I don't train in EPAK, I've always wondered how the two arts would blend. From the discussion I've seen so far, pretty well. I mean first you "slap" them silly then throw them on their head. What fun :)
(I really wish I could figure how to use the qoute feature)

RE: Tai Otosh
Great throw! (Whispering) If you wanna make it fun, overrotate, turning into a sacrifice throw and take their wind and a couple of ribs. One on one of course. I don't suggest trying this with a partner you wish to continue to train with however.

RE: Injuries
Learn to breakfall. Very Well. Enough said.

I'll go now :)

:soapbox:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Hollywood1340
I don't train in EPAK, I've always wondered how the two arts would blend. From the discussion I've seen so far, pretty well.

I've been a Life Member of the USJA for over 25 years and I would say you are correct..... :rofl:

:asian:

W

WilliamTLear

That was my toe!!! Ouch!!! :lol:

I like the idea of dropping someone on their head after beating the crap outta them too, but they lost me when they started the itchi-bitchi talk. Not that I'm against using japanese terminology or anything... I just haven't taken a lesson in the japanese language in close to 19 years.

Hasta,
Billy Lear :rolleyes:

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

A little more "Well Rounding" won't hurt you.......
Billy-son

Katanu Ish ta anki nakaikske
:asian:

I'm still a little round... at least around the mid-section. :lol:
Domo Arigato, Dennis-San.

Billy

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

Jason, the way I practice this throw without knocking someone's teeth out. Is instead grab the person,with both hands on same shoulder. Closest elbow to their face will push as you do the Tai Otoshi throw. Start with your elbow against their face as you push. If you need a list of throws I could send you a list of what we do or a list of Judo or Jujutsu throws. You may want to go out and buy a good jujutsu or judo book also. I can list several books that I have if you want.
Bob :asian:

Bob,
That's cool that your willing to share but I have a partial curriculum from my friend that teaches JJ. The reason why I say partial is that I used to send my oldest son to him. I actually wanted him to learn the exact proper way to fall as well as to learn how to throw people. I didn't want to teach him myself due to no classroom setting and when we did practice he made games of it with mostly just laying on the floor acting like a fish. He wasn't mentally prepared yet for kenpo or martial arts. Now that he's getting a little older his attention span is better. Anyways, he had a book of all requirements to black but My friend has since changed things. It would actually be hard to pick up a throw without hands on experience. Thank you though for the offer it is much appreciated.
Jason Farnsworth

R

rmcrobertson

As a kenpo-only geek, a couple of suggested options:

First, don't quite do the Tripping Arrow trip? Pivot left to a left forward bow, as was mentioned, but maybe don't bother to shoot the right leg further to two o'clock.

Second, I personally would be very leery of running this tech on a training partner with my elbow up against their face. Perhaps a push to the chest or a right ridge-hand, depending on their level? I was taught that kenpo offers strike downs, not (strictly speaking) take-downs...

Third--maybe don't let go of the gi with your left hand as they pivot on down. For beginners, this allows the senior student to control their fall but keep their own back straight--and for more-advanced students, it allows the person with the upper hand to pivot them right down, so that they can immediately drop to a left wide kneel, stick the right knee on the hip, and punch 'em in the head (as in Sleeper) if they complain overmuch.

Interesting analyses. Thank you.
Robert

Latest Discussions