Deflecting Hammer

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by big351stang

Oh but i bet he has a little wild side that only comes out in the deep when nun of us see him hehehe:rofl:

What are you trying to do corrupt the guy now Billy? See now he has to be extra good so nobody catches on. Ha ha...think he knows that we know? :)

S

Stick Dummy

Chronus,

Now would be an exceptionally GOOD time to work on keeping those elbows in.............. (sinister laugh from the shadows of the back row of the dojo)

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

Sorry, but the terms I used are Japanese terms and I did give American terms for most of the throws. I didn't know that I had to give West Virginia terms. (Ha Ha Ha)

Tai Otoshi=Body drop or trip
Koshi Guruma=Hip Throw while grabbing around the neck
Harai goshi= Hip throw while sweeping the outside leg
Uchi Mata=Hip throw while sweeping the inside leg
Osoto Gari=Major outside leg sweep (Step your right leg behind there right leg)
Kosoto Gake=minor outside leg sweep (step your left leg behind there right leg)
Yoko Otoshi=side body drop
Bob :asian:

Bob,
You had me curious upon these throw you had listed. Since I only knew of 1 I decided to call my good friend that teaches JJ. He and I set up a time today to work out & practice these throws. Now, all I can say from here is each one of those throws gets progressively harder, then worse. If you are teaching these the same way we went over them, from the same position ending Deflecting Hammer, right to right, pressing check, elbow to the face with your right leg behind his? Tai Otoshi is the most vicious throw I've ever seen!! If you could let me know how you practice some of these techniques without injuring people? That list of throws looks to be real versatile for kenpo positions and I'd like to keep using these if I had a way to practice without hurting someone.
Salute,
Jason Farnsworth

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know exactly for sure if you can put that on this forum into words. I did take notes today when I was practicing with my friend. Maybe Bob has it in written form, (I don't know) and can post if he wants to. I can try my best to type but it would be later tonight & It would also be extremley hard to try to even say the correct words and terms.
Jason Farnsworth

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jason, the way I practice this throw without knocking someone's teeth out. Is instead grab the person,with both hands on same shoulder. Closest elbow to their face will push as you do the Tai Otoshi throw. Start with your elbow against their face as you push. If you need a list of throws I could send you a list of what we do or a list of Judo or Jujutsu throws. You may want to go out and buy a good jujutsu or judo book also. I can list several books that I have if you want.
Bob :asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93
How do you do the throw from the end of Deflecting Hammer?

Easy.....

From the elbow, contour right hand around in front of the opponents body as you drag up your left foot to your right.

Then turn counter clockwise with your body as you shoot your right leg towards 2:eek: clock and buckle your opponents right leg as you throw him over the right hip.

:asian:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's the way I thought a kenpo person would do it, but is that different than the Japanese one they're talking about?

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
but the results are the same.

You could always go with the favourite O-Goshi. Easy to do. Ippon Sei Nage might be good to pull off too. However O Soto Gari might be easiest to do as it follows the continuity of motion as the others require you to change direction.

For those not so much into Judo, imagine deflecting hammer with tripping arrow grafted onto the end.

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Honorable Judoka Gou son..... you good.......

Thank you oh ponderous one.

This is a follow through on the conversation I had with you a while ago. We were discussing the technique "Glancing Salute" and why it might be best in the ideal phase to continue through after the knee strike to provide continuity of motion rather than step back. I agreed with your, and Huk's, position that it was better to utilize your energy in a straight line rather than change it and diminish the use. Although the stepping back is a great way to deal with a "what if" aspect I think that this technique is great example of use of motion in a straight line.

So I got to thinking there has to be similarities in other arts and looking at my limited Judo I found it quite easily. Different names. Same concept.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dem principles are principles..........

going to the what if........ does as you realize open a huge can of variance and options .....

G

GouRonin

The environmental issues could be just one example of the need for a what if.

What if you're far enough away from the wall to pull off the tech glancing salute but he goes too far back on the strike and rebounds off the wall? That's when you might look to a Ippon Sei Nage or perhaps graft into a thundering hammers from the second strike to remove yourself from him falling on you but placing yourself in a good striking position. His landing I would think should allow you to pull off leap of death as a finisher. All of this would leave you in great position as well to deal with other opponents.

Anything is possible for you crazy kenpoists.

G

GouRonin

Go me!
Go me!
It's muh birthday!
Go me!

...wait a minute...stupid Kenpo...

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by GouRonin

Go me!
Go me!
It's muh birthday!
Go me!

...wait a minute...stupid Kenpo...

JACK ***!!!

Stupid is, what stupid does... and it sound like your still practicing Kenpo... Does that make you stupid?

Your Bewildered Friend,
Billy Lear :eek:

W

WilliamTLear

I shoulda used You're instead of Your... LOL

Mogno go home now.

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by WilliamTLear
JACK ***!!!
Stupid is, what stupid does... and it sound like your still practicing Kenpo... Does that make you stupid?
Your Bewildered Friend,
Billy Lear

Lies. All lies. I made that stuff up. I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I don't study Kenpo.

Of course if you like to race you always want to know what everyone else has under their hood...

Latest Discussions