Deflecting Hammer

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This technique should be next in line to be discussed. What kind of information can we share on this one? I like to end Deflecting Hammer with a takedown. The takedown is similar to Tripping Arrow except I grab the attacker's right arm (or sleeve) with my left hand and drop my right inward elbow strike to an outward claw to the face and grab at the attacker's left shoulder with my right hand. From this position I shift to the forward bow facing between 8-9 to buckle the leg and execute the takedown. Next I follow up with a front heel snap kick to the chin. This is just something I've been able to practice and perform on numerous occassions and has worked well for me. Any other thoughts.
Jason Farnsworth

K

Kirk

I love grafting into five swords after executing this tech. Take one
step with the left leg, so you're behind your opponent, then
execute five swords from behind. It's brutal.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Never seen the tech, but I do love O'soto. My only prob is at 66kg, it's not all that hard to reverse. Ipon Seoi and Uki Waza is more my forte :)

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I usually teach a few variations of this technique besides the standard EPAK execution:

1)Suffle into a right neutral bow and trap the kicking leg, as you would do a right downward block but this time continue the circle all the way up to trap the kicking leg at the anckle. At the same time execute the left palm trust (or a grab), I prefer to strike the throat or face to check the depth. From this point you can either sweep behind the left leg or sweep the shin to the front.

2)Having studied Aikido, I like reversing opponent's force against himself as well:
Suffle in as in#1, trap the leg and throw the right palm back to the opponent's face by either suffling towards him or take a left step forward. Keep your left check up. This one is useful against mass attack.

I hope you like these variations.

Respectfully,

Peter Teymouraz.:asian:

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's similar to O'sotogari but I use this as a takedown. I really should have to shift to the reverse bow not forward. If you look at O'sotogari it is a throw where the head comes down and the leg goes up, at least that's how i was taught. There probably isn't anything wrong with suffixing a throw but I don't feel comfortable with too many throws at this point.
Jason Farnsworth

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I stay firmly "rooted" to the ground when applying the takedown. The attacker should be off balance after the elbow to the face anyways. For you JJ guys I was talking to my friend today about this technique and we came up with [(}possibly{)] O'Goshi after sliding the left foot up while transitioning the right hand to the waist. I haven't tested this theory but I believe it could work.
Jason Farnsworth

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is several throws you could do. After doing the elbow strike with right elbow step r.leg across to 9 o-clock apply Tai otoshi throw. Instead of elbow, pull his head into your chest while striking back of neck apply Koshi Guruma, which is a hip throw while grabbing the back of his head. Harai Goshi which is outside leg sweep while doing a hip throw. Uchi Mata inside leg sweep while doing a hip throw. Instead of sweeping with Osoto gari leg. Use the other leg and do Kosoto Gake. Yoko Otoshi side body drop into the mount position. There is 6 throws that you can practice.
Bob :asian:

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
you know...that would be really helpful and informative and more than likely educational IF I FRIGGIN' SPOKE CHINESE. laymen's terms are appreciated for us West Virginia Kenpo folk. we can't speak that fancy stuff...

G

GouRonin

Tripping Arrow is a variation on Judo's O Soto Gari.

Apparently the Old Man knew some Judo.

:rofl:

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chronuss

you know...that would be really helpful and informative and more than likely educational IF I FRIGGIN' SPOKE CHINESE. laymen's terms are appreciated for us West Virginia Kenpo folk. we can't speak that fancy stuff...

Sorry, but the terms I used are Japanese terms and I did give American terms for most of the throws. I didn't know that I had to give West Virginia terms. (Ha Ha Ha)

Tai Otoshi=Body drop or trip
Koshi Guruma=Hip Throw while grabbing around the neck
Harai goshi= Hip throw while sweeping the outside leg
Uchi Mata=Hip throw while sweeping the inside leg
Osoto Gari=Major outside leg sweep (Step your right leg behind there right leg)
Kosoto Gake=minor outside leg sweep (step your left leg behind there right leg)
Yoko Otoshi=side body drop
Bob :asian:

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I usually use American Terms when teaching in class. But being on this forum I wanted to be political correct when listing the throws. Sorry for confussion.
Bob:asian:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Seig,

I can't believe you'd let a Kenpo guy date your sister! my wifes brother didn't know until it was too late!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dan

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let a Kenpo guy date his sister...well hell, her brother's a Kenpo guy himself, so that's a double whammy. dating her's fun though, gives me lotsa blocking practice. :D

and don't mind me about the Japanese terminology, I was just playing. although, a literal translation of the terms would be cool, though.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Chronuss

Let a Kenpo guy date his sister...well hell, her brother's a Kenpo guy himself, so that's a double whammy. dating her's fun though, gives me lotsa blocking practice. :D

and don't mind me about the Japanese terminology, I was just playing. although, a literal translation of the terms would be cool, though.
What he is notmentioning is the fact that he was not a Kenpo guy until he started dating my sister, we put him on the One True Path and now all is well.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
indeed... you can see how it all began by seeing my reply in the thread "The first 3 times Kenpo made you say Wow".

B

big351stang

Originally posted by Seig

He's a pretty good guy, I keep trying to trade his parents, him for my sister. Unfair trade, they won't go for it.

Oh but i bet he has a little wild side that only comes out in the deep when nun of us see him hehehe:rofl:

Latest Discussions