cutting punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know of it as a set from Pin Sun. KPM has mentioned it before, with sinking and rising ideas.

So you're talking about a rising punch on the inside, which is not gonna be the same as on the outside like you said.
Then it's not the same, it contains no sinking or rising.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Led by the wrist means directed by the wrist.

The elbow is following your wrist. So, wrist-led.

I'll ask again....how do you do a punch without the wrist being in front of the elbow????

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was always about the elbow idea being "universal" and you knew it.

Page 26, Post #504

Page 26, Post #513

And shortly after here you come to say "my YCW WC has it too".

Page 26, Post #520

Its just pretty amazing to me that you have the time to shift through pages and pages of discussion in the forum and pull up specific references, but you don't have the time to look for a clip of PB (out of many many available) that illustrates the difference between what you do and what we have been talking about. :rolleyes:

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then it's not the same, it contains no sinking or rising.

You're not talking about a rising punch? It's the same as on the outside?

So, keeping your elbow low and punching straight while the opponent's punch is above yours will get you hit unless you are quick enough to dodge, which by that time is unlikely.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its just pretty amazing to me that you have the time to shift through pages and pages of discussion in the forum and pull up specific references, but you don't have the time to look for a clip of PB (out of many many available) that illustrates the difference between what you do and what we have been talking about. :rolleyes:

NI is the one saying PB punches like that but won't post the clip. I don't know what you want me to look for.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You're not talking about a rising punch? It's the same as on the outside?

So, keeping your elbow low and punching straight while the opponent's punch is above yours will get you hit unless you are quick enough to dodge, which by that time is unlikely.
What the hell are you talking about? Quit making crap up about gate punching that isn't part of it. It has been explained clearly several times. It isn't a difficult concept. Maybe if you we're punching with your wrist in front of your elbow, like it's supposed to be, you'd get it.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure there is, but I don't care. We're just talking about the elbow.

No, you aren't talking about anything. You are badgering someone else so they will talk. There is a difference. ;)

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
What the hell are you talking about? Quit making crap up about gate punching that isn't part of it. It has been explained clearly several times. It isn't a difficult concept. Maybe if you we're punching with your wrist in front of your elbow, like it's supposed to be, you'd get it.

You haven't explained the inside gate punch at all. You've alluded to an exercise that trains a rising punch, but won't own it.

If the elbow does as you've explained for the outside while on the inside or from underneath, even with your pivot, it will not be cutting anything.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
NI is the one saying PB punches like that but won't post the clip. I don't know what you want me to look for.
You said you we're familiar with the concept of the "cutting punch". If you are then you should be able to provide evidence of how it is done in your branch. Do we have to revisit the comments on the James Yim Lee photos and how Bruce Lee acquired gate punching from WSL?

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You haven't explained the inside gate punch at all. You've alluded to an exercise that trains a rising punch, but won't own it.

If the elbow does as you've explained for the outside while on the inside or from underneath, even with your pivot, it will not be cutting anything.
The inside gate punch isn't any different than the outer gate punch, one above & one below based on height of opponents strike. If it's too high why would you rise to chase it? I already stated numerous times you don't chase the arm.

Wow, 3 Arrows have nothing to do with rising & sinking. It's a series of straight punches thrown at high, medium & low level.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
The inside gate punch isn't any different than the outer gate punch, one above & one below based on height of opponents strike. If it's too high why would you rise to chase it? I already stated numerous times you don't chase the arm.

Then there is no lin-siu-daai-da happening if you're just dodging and punching under the guy's arm.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Then there is no lin-siu-daai-da happening if you're just dodging and punching under the guy's arm.
Again, no bobbing & weaving & no arm chasing. The fact you can't grasp this is priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.