cutting punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Took you long enough to get here. You could have come sooner.

What you explain doesn't contain any YMVT elbow idea. It is just rotating your body to create an angle, like in KPM's video. The elbow follows the wrist along an outside line in order to punch through the opponent's arm. How will this work from inside gate?
Like I give two spits and half a fart if it contains YMVT elbow ideas, I don't do YMVT, YCWWC has their own ideas. I could care less if they adhere to yours or not. Does your elbow wander when you throw a straight punch? Because mine doesn't. Level is irrelevant, the elbow starts and ends on the line of attack. Maybe you ought to explain what you mean by "Elbow Idea", to me it certainly doesn't allow wandering. Once again in simplest terms possible, punch starts at shoulder, is aligned by elbow (on line of attack) and directed by wrist (level of height) to target. Its three joints working in conjunction with forward pressure. Shoulder firmly in socket, elbow down and vertical fist to align radius and ulna, body rotation as needed to create angle for natural wedge. There is no focus on attacking the arm to simultaneously punch the opponent, it is simply punch, if it happens it happens because of proper form and structure.

When I entered this conversation it was a simple statement (on my thread) about YCWWC having a similar concept to the technique of cutting/inclusion/exclusion punching which in YCWWC we call gate punching (which is beginner stuff, others understood it) it wasn't a discussion on elbow ideas in YMVT. It was turned into that by you and Guy, who continue to pose questions about it in relation to your elbow ideas. I've explained it enough, you either get it or you don't. If you don't utilize the method what do you care? If you do use it (or something similar) please explain how you do it, otherwise we have nothing left to discuss.

Last edited:

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like I give to spits and half a fart if it contains YMVT elbow ideas, I don't do YMVT, YCWWC has their own ideas. I could care less if they adhere to yours or not.

Then why join a discussion on elbow focus in YMVT?

When I entered this conversation it was a simple statement (on my thread) about YCWWC having a similar concept to the technique of cutting/inclusion/exclusion punching which in YCWWC we call gate punching (which is beginner stuff, others understood it) it wasn't a discussion on elbow ideas in YMVT. It was turned into that by you and Guy, who continue to pose questions about it in relation to your elbow ideas.

The start of the conversation was about elbow focus in YMVT. Juany said it is universal in YM lineages. The conversation continued from there to explore whether or not that is true. All discussion and video up to that point demonstrated that it is not.

KPM then presented his punch as an example, but it also doesn't use YMVT elbow. Then you came along talking about a gate punch and got upset when we said it doesn't show YMVT elbow either.

But if you aren't interested in YMVT and don't care, I don't know why you are even here.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Then why join a discussion on elbow focus in YMVT?

The start of the conversation was about elbow focus in YMVT. Juany said it is universal in YM lineages. The conversation continued from there to explore whether or not that is true. All discussion and video up to that point demonstrated that it is not.

KPM then presented his punch as an example, but it also doesn't use YMVT elbow. Then you came along talking about a gate punch and got upset when we said it doesn't show YMVT elbow either.

But if you aren't interested in YMVT and don't care, I don't know why you are even here.
I made a passing comment on MY thread, a simple comparison. I was jumped on for it and asked dozen of questions, all of which I answered. Funny how the favor is never returned.

Reactions: KPM

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I made a passing comment on MY thread, a simple comparison. I was jumped on for it and asked dozen of questions, all of which I answered. Funny how the favor is never returned.

Comparison of what? KPM was the only one talking about any particular technique.

You haven't explained how your gate punch is supposed to work without change from the inside gate. The guys in the first couple videos here have to raise their arms up to continue wedging the opponent's arm out. You said yours doesn't change.

You also said it can be done with other punches besides a straight. Like what, a hook, an uppercut, an overhand? It's really unclear what you're talking about.

I don't do what you and KPM have shown/described, so I don't know what you want from me.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Comparison of what? KPM was the only one talking about any particular technique.

You haven't explained how your gate punch is supposed to work without change from the inside gate. The guys in the first couple videos here have to raise their arms up to continue wedging the opponent's arm out. You said yours doesn't change.

You also said it can be done with other punches besides a straight. Like what, a hook, an uppercut, an overhand? It's really unclear what you're talking about.

I don't do what you and KPM have shown/described, so I don't know what you want from me.
You're fixating on application, I've explained it in detail several times, reread my posts. Stop comparing it to videos of people chasing an incoming punch, I've told you it isn't done like that. There is no arm chasing. If you don't do it, stop trying to compare it with what you do. Why bother trying to constantly compare what others do based on material you say you don't have? It doesn't make sense.You say I have no business in this "elbow idea" conversation yet you continue to hound me with questions about my gate punch. I've laid it out plainly, I can't be any clearer. Figure it out for yourself, it won't help you to have me walk you through it. That should be familiar to you.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stop comparing it to videos of people chasing an incoming punch, I've told you it isn't done like that.

You want it to be understood, but are unwilling to provide any better visual of it.

You have said it could be another type of punch besides a straight. That could be anything as far as I can tell.

If you don't do it, stop trying to compare it with what you do. Why bother trying to constantly compare what others do based on material you say you don't have?

Because you posted it in a conversation on elbow focus in YMVT, apparently to say you have it to. So, naturally I will try to see if the idea is there or not. It seems not, from what I can gather.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You want it to be understood, but are unwilling to provide any better visual of it.

You have said it could be another type of punch besides a straight. That could be anything as far as I can tell.

Because you posted it in a conversation on elbow focus in YMVT, apparently to say you have it to. So, naturally I will try to see if the idea is there or not. It seems not, from what I can gather.
I don't care if you understand it or not.

Yes the concept can be applied to other types of punches.

I made a comment about a type of punch, was asked about that punch, I explained that punch then was drilled about "elbow ideas" concerning that punch.

The intention was nothing more than to say that YCWWC also contains a cutting/inclusion/exclusion punch known as a gate punch, to emphasize that other branches of WC also have a technique as described. I was asked specifically about the gate punch not "elbow ideas", that was later tied into the conversation, which I did answer in relation to the gate punch. I was not making any direct correlation to the subject of " YMVT elbow ideas" but to the concept of gate punching itself. But since we are on the subject, I asked you, are you going to explain your "elbow ideas"? Or are you going to continue deflecting and asking about the gate punch?

I'm done explaining it and really have no interest in "YMVT elbow ideas". If you don't have a "gate punching" concept we have nothing to discuss and this entire thread is moot. If you wanted to discuss "elbow ideas" you should have labeled the thread "Elbow Ideas" and not "Cutting Punches".

OP
G

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Like I give two spits and half a fart if it contains YMVT elbow ideas, I don't do YMVT, YCWWC has their own ideas.

Well obviously you do, or you wouldn't have entered a discussion about YM VT elbow ideas

Does your elbow wander when you throw a straight punch? Because mine doesn't. Level is irrelevant, the elbow starts and ends on the line of attack. Maybe you ought to explain what you mean by "Elbow Idea", to me it certainly doesn't allow wandering. Once again in simplest terms possible, punch starts at shoulder, is aligned by elbow (on line of attack) and directed by wrist (level of height) to target. Its three joints working in conjunction with forward pressure. Shoulder firmly in socket, elbow down and vertical fist to align radius and ulna, body rotation as needed to create angle for natural wedge. There is no focus on attacking the arm to simultaneously punch the opponent, it is simply punch, if it happens it happens because of proper form and structure.

I see, so it's a special punch that does everything but requires nothing. Body rotates to make it happen, but it also just happens due to proper form. It happens in the same way regardless of situation. It's wrist led but somehow the elbow is involved. Elbow stays on the line of attack, but YKS and YC forms show elbow rising and lack of any sophisticated elbow idea.

I guess you have to believe it to see it? Because I'm not seeing it.

When I entered this conversation it was a simple statement (on my thread) about YCWWC having a similar concept to the technique of cutting/inclusion/exclusion punching which in YCWWC we call gate punching (which is beginner stuff, others understood it) it wasn't a discussion on elbow ideas in YMVT. It was turned into that by you and Guy, who continue to pose questions about it in relation to your elbow ideas. I've explained it enough, you either get it or you don't.

Actually it was a discussion on YM VT elbow ideas with Juany.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was asked specifically about the gate punch not "elbow ideas", that was later tied into the conversation

The punch was presented by KPM as an example of the elbow idea which was the topic of discussion.

If you wanted to discuss "elbow ideas" you should have labeled the thread "Elbow Ideas" and not "Cutting Punches".

The punch came up as an example of the elbow idea which was claimed to be "universal" and WC101, but we aren't seeing it at all.

are you going to explain your "elbow ideas"?
really have no interest in "YMVT elbow ideas".

Sounds like you're just scratching around for cheese then.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well obviously you do, or you wouldn't have entered a discussion about YM VT elbow ideas
Again I made a comment about a specific punching action. You asked questions about it I answered. Not my fault you can't comprehend a simple little idea.

I see, so it's a special punch that does everything but requires nothing. Body rotates to make it happen, but it also just happens due to proper form. It happens in the same way regardless of situation. It's wrist led but somehow the elbow is involved. Elbow stays on the line of attack, but YKS and YC forms show elbow rising and lack of any sophisticated elbow idea.
Who said it does everything? Not me. Proper form and body rotation should go hand in hand. How is it wrist led, aside from the anatomical fact that the wrist is at the end of the arm? Shoulder, elbow, wrist is the progression. I'll simplify this by leaving out all the medical jargon. A punch cannot be thrown from the wrist it starts in the chest to neck to shoulder to arm to forearm to wrist and hand. It cannot be led by the wrist, it is directed by the wrist to its target as aligned by the elbow on the line of attack. I fail to see how that is "wrist led" as you call it. In a straight punch the shoulder, elbow and wrist joints work in conjunction as a single aligned unit to enforce forward pressure towards the center, creating a natural wedge. The arm is strongest moving towards center and has the most leverage when close to the body. Its fullest potential for impact is at it's full extension. It is driven from the chest/shoulder region, aligned on the line of attack via the elbow and the elbow is responsible for extension (it's a hinge joint), all this is directed towards the target via the wrist. Do you want to argue anatomy?

I guess you have to believe it to see it? Because I'm not seeing it.
You have to open your eyes, figuratively, but you're so drunk on the kool aid you've been drinking its impossible to see anything outside your own perspective.

Actually it was a discussion on YM VT elbow ideas with Juany.
Then why do you keep inquiring about the YCWWC gate punch?

Last edited:

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
It cannot be led by the wrist, it is directed by the wrist to its target as aligned by the elbow on the line of attack.

Led by the wrist means directed by the wrist.

The elbow is following your wrist. So, wrist-led.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The punch was presented by KPM as an example of the elbow idea which was the topic of discussion.

The punch came up as an example of the elbow idea which was claimed to be "universal" and WC101, but we aren't seeing it at all.

Sounds like you're just scratching around for cheese then.
No the punch came up as being "universal" and WC101, which it is. The "elbow idea" was something you applied to it, it may have been part of your conversation with Juany and KPM, but I never mentioned YMVT "elbow ideas" and it wasn't brought up to me until later.

How is it that I'm scratching for cheese when you two are making all the inquiries? I've provided detailed answers to every question. Neither of you has yet explained what these mysterious YMVT "elbow ideas" are, you keep asking about YCWWC gate punching. Seems to me your the ones pretending to have secrets. Share or don't, I don't care, but at least be forthcoming with your intentions.

Reactions: KPM

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Led by the wrist means directed by the wrist.

The elbow is following your wrist. So, wrist-led.
It is impossible for your wrist to follow your elbow, it is located in front of it, the elbow will always follow. You can believe otherwise. That is unless your talking about chopping your punches from an elbow strike position.

Last edited:

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
No the punch came up as being "universal" and WC101, which it is. The "elbow idea" was something you applied to it, it may have been part of your conversation with Juany and KPM, but I never mentioned YMVT "elbow ideas" and it wasn't brought up to me until later.

How is it that I'm scratching for cheese when you two are making all the inquiries? I've provided detailed answers to every question. Neither of you has yet explained what these mysterious YMVT "elbow ideas" are, you keep asking about YCWWC gate punching. Seems to me your the ones pretending to have secrets. Share or don't, I don't care, but at least be forthcoming with your intentions.

You admittedly didn't read the conversation before posting. Maybe try doing so next time. And if you don't care, don't join.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You admittedly didn't read the conversation before posting. Maybe try doing so next time. And if you don't care, don't join.
Quit derailing my threads when you have your own on the subject in question.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
No the punch came up as being "universal" and WC101, which it is. The "elbow idea" was something you applied to it,

It was always about the elbow idea being "universal" and you knew it.

Page 26, Post #504
(The elbow focus in my experience is pretty much universal in YM WC lineages.)

Page 26, Post #513
Most YM lineages do make use of the "elbow inward" and blocking/attacking at the same time as part of a "cutting" punch. That part is relatively "universal."

And shortly after here you come to say "my YCW WC has it too".

Page 26, Post #520
Called an outer gate punch when atop opponents arm and inner gate punch when under in YCW WC.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
No you said if the elbow follows the wrist it's wrist led. I simply pointed out there isn't another way for it to happen anatomically.

Not that you are aware of, because your system lacks the elbow focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions