Coronavirus/Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iā€™m trying quarantine my mother. And Iā€™m not going to visit her, regardless of if Iā€™m symptomatic or not. She had a kidney transplant a few years ago and is on immunosuppressants.
Yeah, I'm struggling with whether to sneak a quick visit to my mom (had a liver xplant last year) before there's more threat in the area, or just stay away to be extra safe. Probably the latter.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if you have the insurance, it doesn't mean you can afford your deductible, or that the insurance company will authorize any procedures (and whatever they don't authorize you have to pay out of pocket).
Agreed. I'm still paying off the foot surgery I had early last year. Deemed "elective", even though there were bone fragments floating aroujnd just chewing up the joint.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My next set of client training sessions was cancelled (technically postponed) today due to covid-19. I expect more of the same in the near future.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Reading about the Canadian system, basically you pay over $10,000 a year for health care whether you go to the doctor or not. That is all in the form of taxes. 21 Canadian Medicare Pros and Cons

If that article is accurate, that was the payment per household.

I'm a public high school teacher here in the States, and with my employer's policy, I pay a heck of a lot more than that to cover my household on an 80%-20% policy, and then there's co-pays, and all the stuff that isn't covered. Gotta tell you, the Canadian system sounds really cheap by comparison!

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which part(s) of those instructions are beyond you?

Understanding them in my head? None of them.
Making my hands do them correctly? Most of them.

Let me put it this way. I bought a S&W M&P 9 a while back, knowing I hated the trigger. I had a drop-in trigger replacement ordered before I even unboxed the gun. I was told "you work in IT, you can put a computer together. It's basically the same thing."

Well, what ended up happening is I put a hole in the trigger and broke the safety return spring. So I ended up having to take it to a gunsmith anyway. But instead of him simply installing the trigger kit, he also had to repair it first.

I'm not great at cooking meat the right amount. I always get it raw or overdone. I know my limits in the kitchen.

@Kung Fu Wang (and still @Dirty Dog )I'm not worried about going into the store myself. I'm worried if the stores close and the services aren't available. If that happens, not even GrubHub would work. I'll go into the stores, I'll just try and buy stuff to bring home instead of the bare minimum like I do now.

Agreed. I'm still paying off the foot surgery I had early last year. Deemed "elective", even though there were bone fragments floating aroujnd just chewing up the joint.

I want to clarify that I liked this to show my sympathy and support. Not that I like that you're in that situation.

My next set of client training sessions was cancelled (technically postponed) today due to covid-19. I expect more of the same in the near future.

I'm wondering if I should call my guitar instructor and ask him to switch to Skype lessons instead of in-person lessons.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tons of inference in these sentences. I do not need to know the details of you life to figure this out.
You worked for 20 years in an area you knew was very expensive yet you did not prepare for the inevitable. And now you are railing about how unfair public healthcare is? Hilarious.
You need to be really careful about thinking your life has been worse than others.
Thank you for showing your true character. Iā€™ve suspected it for a long time. Now there is no doubt. Good day to you.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
REMINDER TO ALL MEMBERS:

Keep the politics out of the discussion. Also, keep the personal attacks out of the discussion.

Any more shenanigans, and the thread will be locked and warnings/points may be issued.

_________
Gerry Seymour
MartialTalk Moderator
@gpseymour

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reading about the Canadian system, basically you pay over $10,000 a year for health care whether you go to the doctor or not. That is all in the form of taxes

21 Canadian Medicare Pros and Cons
I donā€™t know the details of the Canadian system. I do know that I worked closely with a Canadian for many years. She always felt their system made more sense than ours. At any rate, nobody says it needs to be modeled on a particular system. But we can definitely do better than we do. What we have is sh*t.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reading about the Canadian system, basically you pay over $10,000 a year for health care whether you go to the doctor or not. That is all in the form of taxes

21 Canadian Medicare Pros and Cons
Over $10k a year. And then thereā€™s the waiting list for diagnostic tests and treatment. Possibly tear your meniscus, and youā€™re waiting more than a year for your MRI. Then theyā€™ll operate on it when they have the time, which is another year or more. Working in college athletics, I saw plenty of Canadians who had that same story. And worse.

Itā€™s so bad in that regard that a ton of people with money buy private insurance. And thatā€™s on top of what they pay for their ā€œfreeā€ insurance.

Our system isnā€™t perfect. Not even close. But thatā€™s definitely not the answer anyoneā€™s looking for.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If that article is accurate, that was the payment per household.

I'm a public high school teacher here in the States, and with my employer's policy, I pay a heck of a lot more than that to cover my household on an 80%-20% policy, and then there's co-pays, and all the stuff that isn't covered. Gotta tell you, the Canadian system sounds really cheap by comparison!

Not for or against, just pointing out it is not exactly free, and posting the article to educate, not judge

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I work with politicians, I live with a doctor and I am related to a few more

The Coronavirus, if you listen to politicians, who are the most vocal, with 'NO' medical training
Market-Madness-Participants-Panic.jpg

If you listen to doctors with copious amounts of medical training

giphy.gif

I'm going with the MDs

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Aus federal government just made an announcement today, they're banning gatherings of more than 500 people as a precautionary measure. Wowza... that's gonna impact alot... concerts, sporting events... the parties I throw...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Aus federal government just made an announcement today, they're banning gatherings of more than 500 people as a precautionary measure. Wowza... that's gonna impact alot... concerts, sporting events... the parties I throw...
theres a tendency for those in authority, when faced with a problem to '' do something'' anything irrespective of it its likely to have a positive effect or not.

clearly your no more at risk an event that has 501 attendees than one with 401 participants. and no less at risk than if there is 50.000

if our 501 people instead assemble elsewhere in groups of say 10, then there was no befit at all. if where they assemble is indoors then they are far more at risk than watching F1 on the streets of Melbourne

what they need to do is ban family visits , sex and BBQs, but that though the most effective will be a) very unpopular and b) impossible to enforce so they are doing what is easy

the UK governments response, despise coming under significant pressure from the media, to make grand gestures, is refreshingly honest and pragmatic

there is nothing at all that can be done to stop this, NOTHING, all they can do is slow it down, so it peaks in say three months.

that gives the health service time to ramp up, gets rid of the seasonal flu issue to free up resources and most importantly gets us into the warm weather, fresh air and open windows will stop the spread significantly

there also clear that there will be a cost in lives, but the better prepared the health services are the lower this will be, theres a stark radiance between, the death toll in Italy which is close to 7% and the UK rate which is closer to 1% thats due in part at least that the health services in Italy are an underfunded chaos and also that the grand measures taken in Italy are having the effect of speeding up the spread

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
theres a tendency for those in authority, when faced with a problem to '' do something'' anything irrespective of it its likely to have a positive effect or not.

clearly your no more at risk an event that has 501 attendees than one with 401 participants. and no less at risk than if there is 50.000

if our 501 people instead assemble elsewhere in groups of say 10, then there was no befit at all. if where they assemble is indoors then they are far more at risk than watching F1 on the streets of Melbourne

what they need to do is ban family visits , sex and BBQs, but that though the most effective will be a) very unpopular and b) impossible to enforce so they are doing what is easy
Yeah I know, I guess it is a case of doing someone that looks like it could help... who knows. But that's going to seriously impact some big events. What about work buildings that hold more than 500 people? What proximity do the people have to be in?

It is an interesting thought though... letting 'worst case scenario' dictate how life is to be led... I mean I understand how rapidly it can spread, but to approach life from that perspective would be crippling if you applied it to everything you do.... you wouldn't even cross the road! Just a thought

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There's also the thing that people demand the government do something and be seen doing something preferably dramatic. with so many internet 'experts' no government is going to be right whatever they do, then of course it's all politicalised. In the light of recent political events here where it turned out there was so many lies, obfuscation politicking and campaigning it's not surprising people don't know who or what to believe. I've seen a lot of comparing us to other countries with people saying 'look they're doing this why aren't we', which is ridiculous given different demographics, different health systems and at different states of infection and spread.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's also the thing that people demand the government do something and be seen doing something preferably dramatic. with so many internet 'experts' no government is going to be right whatever they do, then of course it's all politicalised. In the light of recent political events here where it turned out there was so many lies, obfuscation politicking and campaigning it's not surprising people don't know who or what to believe. I've seen a lot of comparing us to other countries with people saying 'look they're doing this why aren't we', which is ridiculous given different demographics, different health systems and at different states of infection and spread.
im not sure its the PEOPLE, rather the media, if people are panicking its because of grossly irresponsible reporting round her the general attitude is its no worse than the flu and ive seen no visible signs of panic, nothing no face masks no panic buying, the pubs are full, the busses are packed, the people of salford are a hardy and pragmatic breed

hell i bought a 6 pack of loo rolls yesterday from an immense pile of loo rolls, if they ARE stock pilling its fags and gin

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you for showing your true character. Iā€™ve suspected it for a long time. Now there is no doubt. Good day to you.
@Flying Crane , I owe you a sincere apology. I had a heavy day yesterday and was in quite a bit of pain last night. Frankly, I took it out on you. I am sorry for this.
I hope you can accept my apology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions