Coronavirus/Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is there a diarrhea pandemic that no one’s openly discussing going on alongside the Coronavirus pandemic?

If not, why the hell are people buying up all the toilet paper? Every damn store is sold out. After about 3 rolls, I’m going to have to either hold it until I get to work or steal it from a public bathroom like McDonald’s. F’ing animals!

I think people are just worried that the stores will close, and they'll be unable to get TP.

333kenshin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, my Master has suspended some of our special classes for the next month and a half. In part because I'm sick today. I don't think it's COVID-19 at this point, maybe allergies or a cold. If I get a fever I'll definitely call my doctor.

Our regular classes are still on, but our special classes are on break. One of those is Hapkido, which is probably a good thing since Hapkido is basically aggressive handshakes.

Thank you for actually answering the original question ("what are you doing about...") which I find much more interesting and salient than comparing the shortcomings of various national medical systems (each system fails in some way, the question is how and whom).

My sensei cancelled an event last weekend but continues to hold regular classes. My gut says that in light of Friday's declaration of national emergency, followed by our local school district declaring closure, he should go a step further and shut down for a week or two. But he thinks not only would that gesture be empty, but in its own way irresponsible, giving the false impression that things are all better. I'm not sure I agree with that perspective, but not sure I can dismiss it outright either.

What do folks (especially those from the US) think on the matter of temporary closure?
Thanks!
-Dave

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ive just googled it, over 70 million, have either no or inadequate insurance and that with out all the undocumented, so 100.000000 or so

so obviously not much of an issue at all
The number google provided me with was 27.5 million, not 70 million. Very big difference. Can you provide a source for your number?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The "greater than 500" is just using some reasonable cutoff to make the decision easy, rather than a case-by-case decision - which would be more appropriate to each situation, but unreasonably difficult to implement. The idea is simply to reduce the mass transfer. If I give it to 3 relatives, that's one thing. They likely associate with some of the same folks I do, so there's a bit of self-limiting impact. If I pass it along to the 12 people nearest me at a concert, each pair (assuming couples and such) may have a drastically different social circle, spreading the contagion much faster across the population.

It's not a great measure, but it's a relatively easy one with some predictable results.
What I've yet to find is the population per square mile. so for instance here in NY most of the museums have shut down. But the hospitals remain open, and I guarantee you that they have a higher population density than the average museum.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah true, makes sense in that regard hey.. I just wonder how far this will be taken, AND if it is indeed a truly necessary measure yet. I don't know if it's something that spreads more rapidly than any other virus. Just keep hearing very mixed stuff about it in terms of numbers, percentages, rate of increase, whether it's nothing at all to worry about vs. it being at serious level etc..
So a direct answer for the rates in terms of contagiousness, COV-19, according to the sources I've been following, has a R0 of ~2.0-2.5. That means on average a person infected with COV-19 spreads it between 2 and 2.5 people. And this website gives a mortality rate of 3.6% (https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30195-X/fulltext)
Obviously that's not a definitive thing, but it is still a pretty big concern.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
which I find much more interesting and salient than comparing the shortcomings of various national medical systems (each system fails in some way, the question is how and whom).

However those 'shortcomings' or not will impact on you far greater than merely closing down martial arts classes. They could decide whether you and your loved ones actually survive the pandemic, martial arts can be practised at home and when things get back to normal. One country's healthcare system also impacts on how fast or not the virus spreads inside the country and across borders.

What caused you guys to start it? It's the oddest thing...

The fear of missing out.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The number google provided me with was 27.5 million, not 70 million. Very big difference. Can you provide a source for your number?
PBS

PBS- Healthcare Crisis: The Uninsured

About 44 million people in this country have no health insurance, and another 38 million have inadequate health insurance. This means that nearly one-third of Americans face each day without the security of knowing that, if and when they need it, medical care is available to them and their families.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but I do not remember you being there.
Unless you were the incoherent British guy.
i dont need to be there, your testomony is enough to reach that conclusion.

the defintion of a queue is people ariving faster than they are leaving.

if as you clearly stated there was no queue, then people are leaving faster than they are arriving ( or at least at the same frequency) ergo then were not understaffed

or to dumb it down a bit so you understand, no where receiving member of the public, be that a bar, a shop or an emergency room, with out a queue is understaffed by definition

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I've yet to find is the population per square mile. so for instance here in NY most of the museums have shut down. But the hospitals remain open, and I guarantee you that they have a higher population density than the average museum.
cant you see that closing hospitals might be a mite counter productive in reducing deaths ?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
So a direct answer for the rates in terms of contagiousness, COV-19, according to the sources I've been following, has a R0 of ~2.0-2.5. That means on average a person infected with COV-19 spreads it between 2 and 2.5 people. And this website gives a mortality rate of 3.6% (https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30195-X/fulltext)
Obviously that's not a definitive thing, but it is still a pretty big concern.
Ahh okay yep, cheers for that

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I stopped by a drug store this afternoon to pick up some travel supplies and see if they happened to have any small bottles of hand sanitizer (to keep one in my car when I'm driving for Lyft and can't wash). Hand sanitizer was entirely gone, as were all the various rubbing alcohols and anything remotely similar. And the toilet paper aisle looked like a damned war zone. Animals, indeed.
ive tracked down the toilet roll issue in the uk, my mother has it all

what do they do with it ?i used about a roll a month perhaps two. cant remember when i last bough a six pack, some time last summer, im on my last roll, should get to May, these people need to consider their diet

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i dont need to be there, your testomony is enough to reach that conclusion.

the defintion of a queue is people ariving faster than they are leaving.

if as you clearly stated there was no queue, then people are leaving faster than they are arriving ( or at least at the same frequency) ergo then were not understaffed

or to dumb it down a bit so you understand, no where receiving member of the public, be that a bar, a shop or an emergency room, with out a queue is understaffed by definition
what??? None of what you said made any sense.

I did not have to be there to figure that out.

The village idiot understands the meaning of what a queue is. It has nothing to do with what I said.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
what??? None of what you said made any sense.

I did not have to be there to figure that out.

The village idiot understands the meaning of what a queue is. It has nothing to do with what I said.
i knew it wouldnt make any sense to you, thats why i gave a dumber down version, obviously didn't dumb it down enough, , but im not the idiot whisperer so il leave you with it, perhaps if you have an adult to explain it to you

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i knew it wouldnt make any sense to you, thats why i gave a dumber down version, obviously didn't dumb it down enough, , but im not the idiot whisperer so il leave you with it, perhaps if you have an adult to explain it to you
Yes, and I knew when you figured out you were totally wrong you would write a bunch of blather to try and weasel out of your self made mess as usual.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, and I knew when you figured out you were totally wrong you would write a bunch of blather to try and weasel out of your self made mess as usual.
im just amused you were dumb enough to stick your thumb in a machine and then hold the entire Canadian health service responsible for loosing a digit

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
im just amused you were dumb enough to stick your thumb in a machine and then hold the entire Canadian health service responsible for loosing a digit
Again, I do not remember you being there.
You are consistent however. You assume I 'stuck my thumb in a machine' when you have absolutely no way of knowing what happened.
You are getting better, and better at showing just how stupid you really are however.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again, I do not remember you being there.
You are consistent however. You assume I 'stuck my thumb in a machine' when you have absolutely no way of knowing what happened.
You are getting better, and better at showing just how stupid you really are however.
well you definitely turned up with out the required documentation when expecting health care in a foreign country, and them blame the health care for your delay in treatment, once that level of stupidity and entitlement is establish its a fair guess your daft enough to stick your thumb in the machine. i suppose your blaming the machine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.