concealed weapons not allowed on premises...?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It varies from state to state, but carrying on the premisis of a place with a posted "correct" no carry sign, you can be charged with criminal tresspassing and will most likely loose your permit to carry. Not to mention what you could be charged with if using the gun. While we carry for our protection its a little odd to break the law that may send you to jail....protection comes in many different forms. We could have the protect yourself and deal later debate, but bottom line is you need to know the law and what your up against if you break it. In Texas at least, you get caught breaking any of the "little" carry laws, you loose your permit....period.

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
In Michigan, it is illeagle to carry into a business if the business has a sign that is posted no concealed carry.
Most banks won't have that sign, because lots of people get a ccw because they carry large sums of money from work to the bank. If you don't like the store's policy on no ccw, don't shop there, that's what I would do. I don't think it's such a good idea to ignore the sign and carry anyway. I mean is the store that dangerous that you need to carry there? And if it is, could you maybe get your items somewhere else?
Awareness is the first step in self protection, armed or unarmed.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
No, it wasn't what you think. I was chuckling at the whole incident that the police actually never noticed. Actually, I should have put a frown as that is a shame. ;)

No Problem, I should probably also add when it comes to web short hand, particularly the smiley faces, I am pretty much illiterate.

Work with computer related stuff all-day and even once was a web admin but I have not got a clue as to this other stuff, it Probably comes with being old

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unless carrying in the location is prohibited by law (Gov. buildings, hospitals, schools, etc.) I tend to "not see" the signs.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
Unless carrying in the location is prohibited by law (Gov. buildings, hospitals, schools, etc.) I tend to "not see" the signs.

A correctly worded and posted "no carry" sign is prohibited by law.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my state, you need a permit to carry concealed firearms. If I'm not mistaken, they can be carried *anywhere*, except schools and government buildings. I haven't seen any "Do not carry" signs yet.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
A correctly worded and posted "no carry" sign is prohibited by law.

Not in Kenoptex' home state of Missouri.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Not in Kenoptex' home state of Missouri.
Thanks, beat me to it...

I'm familiar with the 30.06 statute in Texas (there's a little irony for you :D), In Missouri however, the only way you can be charged with a crime is if you refuse to leave the premises after you have been asked by the owner (of course, this also implies that they saw your weapon in the first place).

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Statute 30-ought-six :D :D

Interesting to note though...in Missourah one risks being charged with a crime but the crime would be a private property crime (such as trespassing) but not a gun crime/weapons violation.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Statute 30-ought-six :D :D

Interesting to note though...in Missourah one risks being charged with a crime but the crime would be a private property crime (such as trespassing) but not a gun crime/weapons violation.
Yup!

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Damn Missourians using "Tex" in their names!! :)
I have the honor of having been born in the great state of Texas. I just happen to be living in Misery at the moment (not exactly sure why...) :D

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In Minnesota, if the sign is posted you are required to comply. The good news is, it's legal to leave your weapon in your car. Some folks tried to make it illegal to even have a gun locked in your trunk in Church parking lots. It was rejected.

Up here, if I remember clearly, Wal Mart posted no guns signs while Target didn't. Gun owners began shopping at Target in droves. The signs at Wal Mart quietly went away.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here in Indiana, they can only ask you to leave. If you don't, then you can be charged with tresspass.

One thing I don't understand is why some states don't allow you to carry in a church.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yeah in Texas the word "premises" is defined as the entrance to the building, so leaving it in your car is ok regardles of where your at.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Explorer said:
Up here, if I remember clearly, Wal Mart posted no guns signs while Target didn't. Gun owners began shopping at Target in droves. The signs at Wal Mart quietly went away.
That's interesting...while I don't know this to be 100% accurate, I thought I heard that Wal-Mart's corporate policy was to allow concealed-carry on their premises as long as it was allowed by law wherever the particular store was located...hmmmm.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Unless theres metal detectors at the door I wouldnt worry about it. Better to take your weapon and face a charge -although what would the charge be if its not on the state law books?-than get killed because you didnt have it on you.

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
That's interesting...while I don't know this to be 100% accurate, I thought I heard that Wal-Mart's corporate policy was to allow concealed-carry on their premises as long as it was allowed by law wherever the particular store was located...hmmmm.

yeah, I can't remember clearly ... but I thought it was Wal-Mart ... Target's direct competition. I'm unaware of Wal-Mart corporate policy ... but I do know that neither store restricts guns any more.

lenatoi

Green Belt
Reaction score
In Arizona it is not a good idea to carry in a place where a no carry sighn is posted. if you choose to ignor the sighn and carry anyway, there can be serious reprecusions. miconduct involving a weapon is a class1 misdemeanor. disorderly conduct involving a weapon is a felony. both are possible charges. both are arrestable,both involvle jail time, and thousands of dollars in fines.

Next subject. Banks do not typically post those signs. as a matter of fact I have never seen one here.

I coould go on all day. The most important thing to do here is learn the laws. open up a few books. familiarize yourself with both state and federal laws. It is also a good idea to check out city ordinances. Don't be stupid. don't beleive what other people say without checking it out yourself.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Here in Indiana, they can only ask you to leave. If you don't, then you can be charged with tresspass.

One thing I don't understand is why some states don't allow you to carry in a church.
I think the laws against carrying a gun in a church go back to the Reconstruction or Civil Rights eras. I can easily see where there could have been problems there...

But I don't know for sure. VA law actually says something very close to "without a good and sufficient reason"...