concealed weapons not allowed on premises...?

w.kaer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
There are some locations that conceal carry is forbidden by law, then there are places that post signs like that, but unless it falls under the forbidden types of locations under the law, I don't believe it carries much weight. I will carry unless it is illegal by law.

EDIT: Here in Florida, Banks, government buildings, schools, establishments that (primarily) serve alcohol, football games, and others, are off-limits by law to carry concealed.

Back when I was managing a restaurant for a living, I had a customer come in with a “concealed” weapon. I say “concealed” because I had more than one other customer come and bring this weapon to my attention. The exchange went rather politely between the two of us. He wanted to argue that he had the concealed weapon permit. I argued that I had other customers who were uncomfortable with it and whether he expected to have to need the pistol. Now my restaurant does serve alcohol and also does so in the dark (we serve from a full service menu while you enjoy a movie). We were not, by any means, in a bad part of town. I am not an anti 2nd Amendment type of guy, but as the manager (and faithful employee of the owner) I felt compelled to question the NEED to carry in my establishment. This guy finally agreed to go lock up the weapon in his car. From the business’ point-of-view, any business has the right to refuse service for any reason. This makes the sign wholly unnecessary. Business owners, especially small business owners, most of the times, have to weigh what is going to alienate more people and let that guide business policies. Most small business owners have their whole lives and financial futures tied in to every seemingly small decision they make. Sometimes it is necessary to alienate 10 potential patrons, so that he/she doesn’t alienate 100 potential patrons.

That is my point of view anyway.
:asian:

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
w.kaer said:
Back when I was managing a restaurant for a living, I had a customer come in with a “concealed” weapon. I say “concealed” because I had more than one other customer come and bring this weapon to my attention. The exchange went rather politely between the two of us. He wanted to argue that he had the concealed weapon permit. I argued that I had other customers who were uncomfortable with it and whether he expected to have to need the pistol. Now my restaurant does serve alcohol and also does so in the dark (we serve from a full service menu while you enjoy a movie). We were not, by any means, in a bad part of town. I am not an anti 2nd Amendment type of guy, but as the manager (and faithful employee of the owner) I felt compelled to question the NEED to carry in my establishment. This guy finally agreed to go lock up the weapon in his car. From the business’ point-of-view, any business has the right to refuse service for any reason. This makes the sign wholly unnecessary. Business owners, especially small business owners, most of the times, have to weigh what is going to alienate more people and let that guide business policies. Most small business owners have their whole lives and financial futures tied in to every seemingly small decision they make. Sometimes it is necessary to alienate 10 potential patrons, so that he/she doesn’t alienate 100 potential patrons.

That is my point of view anyway.
:asian:
A couple of thoughts...

First of all, the guy sounds like an idiot. Concealed means concealed, it's not difficult to keep your weapons from being seen. To my knowledge I have never been "made" as a CCW'er. It almost sounds like he wanted people to see it...who knows?

Secondly, while I definately respect the rights of business owners to refuse service to anyone they choose. Businesses need to realize that concealed-carry holders are increasing in numbers and many of us refuse to do business with any business that does not allow concealed-carry. In fact, I'm a member on another forum, created specifically for CCW'ers in Missouri, where they have a "black list" of businesses in the state that are posted. I personally make every effort to avoid patronizing these businesses if it's possible to do so. (I'm not even going to get into the idiocy of advertising the fact that your business is an easy target by putting up a "no guns" sign)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something else to consider about the "Need" to carry anywhere. How can you be sure if you'll need it anywhere. If you only carry it when you need to, you probably won't have it when you need it. Remember, if you can plan for it, it's not an emergency.

Jeff

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Something else to consider about the "Need" to carry anywhere. How can you be sure if you'll need it anywhere. If you only carry it when you need to, you probably won't have it when you need it. Remember, if you can plan for it, it's not an emergency.

Jeff

Good one...once you start to carry, its a responsiblity to do so ALL the time whenever possible, because that one time when you decide NOT to is the time you might NEED to. Its like the piece of mind you get from driving a car with insurance vs driving uninsured. I carry even if there is a sign that's posted. Imagine going into WalMart and reading every sign they have posted as you go in. If you get made, its just ooops sorry, I didn't see the sign and leave, no big deal.

Latest Discussions