Shame

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tourists to Japan are increasingly causing problems by flaunting rules and laws, being disrespectful to the places they visit, often places regarded as being sacred. Desperate measures are being taken in some places.
I wonder who these people are, citizens of which countries are the worst culprits and should the tourist board deal with them?

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tourists to Japan are increasingly causing problems by flaunting rules and laws, being disrespectful to the places they visit, often places regarded as being sacred. Desperate measures are being taken in some places.
I wonder who these people are, citizens of which countries are the worst culprits and should the tourist board deal with them?
Years ago some Onsens had a ban on Russians. An American, David Aldwinckle (Debito) who was a naturalized Japanese was refused entry. He sued and won the case for 3 million yen damages.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago some Onsens had a ban on Russians. An American, David Aldwinckle (Debito) who was a naturalized Japanese was refused entry. He sued and won the case for 3 million yen damages.
I’ve worked with Russians…they’re an interesting group of people…

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think the standards of manners & courtesy are very high in Japan, compared to many countries. I've long experience with business relations with Japanese companies and from what they told me they often find many european partners strangely "rude" and "disrespectful" partly because of cultural differences and things they take very seriously, many europeans don't, unless you learn the japanese manners.

Here I'd say jaywalking is taken lightly, especially if you are on vacation, then rules don't apply ;)

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the standards of manners & courtesy are very high in Japan, compared to many countries.
I think they’re pretty high in Europe too, especially in England, depending upon the circle in which you move, I suppose. I had no problem slipping into the etiquette when in Japan.
I've long experience with business relations with Japanese companies and from what they told me they often find many european partners strangely "rude" and "disrespectful" partly because of cultural differences
Western business people tend to be more ‘up front’ and direct compared to the very indirect way of the Japanese tend to be. I remember our area association trying to book a senior Japanese teacher for a future seminar. He ummed and ahhed and said “well… maybe” even though he did not want to come on that one days; he just wouldn’t say ‘No’. Very frustrating.
Here I'd say jaywalking is taken lightly, especially if you are on vacation, then rules don't apply ;)
I did’t know what that term meant until a few years ago. Here, if there’s no imminent traffic danger, you cross the road regardless of the colour of the traffic lights!

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know the nationality of the majority of tourist who are doing this.
A friend of mine visited recently. Walking around a park taking photos he was violently pushed forwards in the back. The lady who did it was Chinese. Some are rather bullish and abrupt to say the least. Also most of the tourist are Chinese.

Last edited:
OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed the ‘no squatting and smoking’ and ‘no spitting’ signs around Tokyo and wondered to whom these, very specific instructions , were aimed.

The article you posted was interesting, too. I agree with the jarring nature of the word ‘foreigner ’. It seems…impolite. In the U.K. we’d say ‘overseas’ although we do have a governmental ‘Foreign Office’!

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
A friend of mine visited recently. Walking around a park taking photos he was violently pushed forwards in the back. The lady who did it was Chinese. Some are rather bullish and abrupt to say the least. Also most of the tourist are Chinese.

There have been a lot of complaints, globally, about Chinese tourists

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
There's a city in Austria called "Fugging." That's how it has been spelled since 2021. How was it spelled before that? Use your imagination. There's a reason they had to change the name, and it was due to a certain nationality of tourists...

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Western business people tend to be more ‘up front’ and direct compared to the very indirect way of the Japanese tend to be. I remember our area association trying to book a senior Japanese teacher for a future seminar. He ummed and ahhed and said “well… maybe” even though he did not want to come on that one days; he just wouldn’t say ‘No’. Very frustrating.
Yes, I very much recognize that. Because Japanense feel it is very rude to say NO (turn down or reject) an offer as it may be perceived as insulting.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
I noticed the ‘no squatting and smoking’ and ‘no spitting’ signs around Tokyo and wondered to whom these, very specific instructions , were aimed.
Could be a rule that sounds general but is for the locals. Squatting and smoking is associated with the image of Japanese delinquents, among others:

1dd3f60a3887204383ceafb3d479a248.jpg

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be a rule that sounds general but is for the locals. Squatting and smoking is associated with the image of Japanese delinquents, among others:

1dd3f60a3887204383ceafb3d479a248.jpg
Ah! I didn’t know that!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brits again.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We have a lot of tourists out here. I can’t remember a Chinese tourist getting out of hand or being rude. And I’ve worked plenty of twelve hour shifts at the TSA checkpoint.

I remember quite a few Americans getting out of hand though.

gyoja

3rd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can’t be. There was no soccer tournament and thus lager drinking and brawling. That’s all Brits want
My unit had a stop over in Nova Scotia once that turned into an over nighter due to weather. Our British counterparts showed up and were stuck in the same predicament. We collectively managed to get the bar open, then the general shenanigans ensued…😂

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont feel right calling out a nationality or accusing them of offenses in a public or forum setting. I will say my wife who is a waitress has a particular dislike for what she calls "abung" people. They are the most rude and demanding and consistently leave zero for a tip at the end of the meal, even when they feel the service was good, for which here in the US should be 20%.
When we were back home in Thailand, visiting the kings palace. The entry attendant told my wife we should come back later because there was a group of about 200 tourists from xxxx. This nationality is slowly over populating Thailand. They are not particularly liked because they are loud and rude.
This is a global problem due to cultural differences and the mass migrations of people in today's world.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont feel right calling out a nationality or accusing them of offenses in a public or forum setting. I will say my wife who is a waitress has a particular dislike for what she calls "abung" people. They are the most rude and demanding and consistently leave zero for a tip at the end of the meal, even when they feel the service was good, for which here in the US should be 20%.
When we were back home in Thailand, visiting the kings palace. The entry attendant told my wife we should come back later because there was a group of about 200 tourists from xxxx. This nationality is slowly over populating Thailand. They are not particularly liked because they are loud and rude.
This is a global problem due to cultural differences and the mass migrations of people in today's world.
I was teasing @Gyakuto, no actual offense was intended, all apologies.

Latest Discussions