U.K. Sword Ban

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was another ‘knife’ crime yesterday in London with the weapon being a Japanese-style sword. A 14 year old boy was tragically killed. Most knife crime in the U.K. occurs in our capitol.

Now, there’s a call to bring forward the ban on exotic knives (including swords) in an attempt to curb the increase in stabbings.

I wonder what you think of this? Where will it leave people who use swords in their art. Do you think it’ll make any difference to the crime rates?

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There was another ‘knife’ crime yesterday in London with the weapon being a Japanese-style sword. A 14 year old boy was tragically killed. Most knife crime in the U.K. occurs in our capitol.

Now, there’s a call to bring forward the ban on exotic knives (including swords) in an attempt to curb the increase in stabbings.

I wonder what you think of this? Where will it leave people who use swords in their art. Do you think it’ll make any difference to the crime rates?
Banning them completely or just banning bringing them in public areas? I don't know what is allowd in UK up until know? Can you bring a large knife in public in uk?

I'm no expert but as far as I know in here in Sweden, you can apply for some sort of "collectors license" to have these things such as a functioning sharp samurai swords at home, or import them. It's still not allowed to bring to public areas. But I think you can't just randomly buy these things here either, you need to apply for a license to buy it I guess.

I think the only knife you are allowed to have in public areas are small ones (short blades), and swiss army knifes etc, they are exceptions, as it would otherwise get ridicilous.

I find it unreasonable that any such laws should mean problems for collectors. At worst they might have to register their swords with the police, they way many countries do with guns I suppose.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Banning them completely or just banning bringing them in public areas?
Completely.
I don't know what is allowd in UK up until know? Can you bring a large knife in public in uk?
No. If you buy any knife, proof of age it sort, the knife is wrapped up to make it very inaccessible and you’d have to take it straight home.
I'm no expert but as far as I know in here in Sweden, you can apply for some sort of "collectors license" to have these things such as a functioning sharp samurai swords at home, or import them. It's still not allowed to bring to public areas. But I think you can't just randomly buy these things here either, you need to apply for a license to buy it I guess.
Objet d’art/antiques are tolerated but technically illegal…anything with a > 3 inch sharp blade is illegal to carry around.
I think the only knife you are allowed to have in public areas are small ones (short blades), and swiss army knifes etc, they are exceptions, as it would otherwise get ridicilous.
I think a Swiss Army knife could kill a person…with some difficulty, of course.
I find it unreasonable that any such laws should mean problems for collectors. At worst they might have to register their swords with the police, they way many countries do with guns I suppose.
Yes, locked up like guns.

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Completely.
Hmm... a trend is to ban anything that can be misused, some of them are very fun. When I was as kid we ejoyed playing with small black powder crackers, noadays they aren't allowed, because a few misused them. So what are kids going to have fun with these days? :rolleyes:

The problem is that those that misuse things will find something else, still legal to do damage with or use for self defense, until that also gets banned.

Something that is getting quite common is fighting dogs for self defense, and in media voices are there already to ban some of these, but the classification is difficult, because just as with swords, the problem isn't the sword itself or the dog itself (both swords and some fighting doges are forged/breeded to be dangeours) and thus is a "weapon" that can be misused by thate arent just collectors or those that cuddle with their dogs.

Yes indeed, so can a metal ballpoint pen or a fork, or a walking stick.

What should really be banned, are all the fools out there. But the problem is that same as with forbidding dogs, the classification becomes difficult.

bluepanther2

White Belt
Reaction score
That is ridiculous. Would you have to surrender your swords or would they be "grandfathered" in? And if you surrender your swords, could you replace them with a bokken, or would that be considered a "sword-like" weapon and be banned also?

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is ridiculous. Would you have to surrender your swords or would they be "grandfathered" in? And if you surrender your swords, could you replace them with a bokken, or would that be considered a "sword-like" weapon and be banned also?
Yes, in 6 months time swords and ‘zombie knives’ have to be surrendered. Bokuto are ok because they don’t have a cutting edge.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That would be unfortunate. Here in Canada, the only prohibited blades are the sneaky concealed type, ya know, switchblades and such. There's no mention of swords, so we can carry them around discreetly.

HOWEVER, if the cops see you with one, they'll try to gauge whether you have ill intent, and act accordingly. I had a katana-style umbrella, and one officer gave me the side-eye until I showed him what it was. All was cool. As long as we don't brandish them, or they look sheathed and wrapped, we're fine in public. And at home, there's no issue. If I wanted to hack at tatami in my backyard, though, I'd talk to the gendarmes in advance before the neighbours call -- the cops might let me hack in the back, or they might recommend I do it indoors.

I think things will stay that way until swords become a weapon of choice here. We had that Halloween attack, but that sort of thing isn't common.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be unfortunate. Here in Canada, the only prohibited blades are the sneaky concealed type, ya know, switchblades and such. There's no mention of swords, so we can carry them around discreetly.
That is pretty much how it was here, about 15 years ago, then the 3 inch blade rule came in.
HOWEVER, if the cops see you with one, they'll try to gauge whether you have ill intent, and act accordingly.
Same here. Scottish police are well know for decking you to the asphalt first and asking questions later. Rural police have farming equipment thefts to investigate!
I had a katana-style umbrella, and one officer gave me the side-eye until I showed him what it was. All was cool. As long as we don't brandish them, or they look sheathed and wrapped, we're fine in public.
That’s kind of how it is here, but it’s discretionary by the individual officer/police district.
And at home, there's no issue. If I wanted to hack at tatami in my backyard, though, I'd talk to the gendarmes in advance before the neighbours call -- the cops might let me hack in the back, or they might recommend I do it indoors.
Same here, but there was a case of a granny feeling threatened by a person using a sword in their own back garden and the police arrived and ‘advised him’!
I think things will stay that way until swords become a weapon of choice here. We had that Halloween attack, but that sort of thing isn't common.
I wonder if they’re going to insist on blunt Iaito having their points rounded off; they can currently be used to effectively stab.

Why on earth do criminals/loonies decide to use Japanese-style swords to attack the public? They’re hard to use as they tend to roll on impact unless you know what you’re going and their narrower blades snap. The bring legitimate users into disrepute. My weapon of choice, should I go psychotic, would be a machete.

bluepanther2

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes, in 6 months time swords and ‘zombie knives’ have to be surrendered.
Is there some sort of buy back, or do you just have to drop off at local police station? What happens if you decide to just keep them in your home and they are "tipped off" that you are harboring illegal swords?

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there some sort of buy back, or do you just have to drop off at local police station?
I think you place them into a large metal bin at police stations and they melted down or turned into sculptures!
FD861EE7-B5BC-430C-9AE6-A3A1602B4F5C.jpeg

What happens if you decide to just keep them in your home and they are "tipped off" that you are harboring illegal swords?
PC Plod will come knocking on your door, I suppose.

bluepanther2

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, I guess in the U.K. Captain Feathersword of the Wiggles will be the new standard.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I thought they were banned since 2008?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought they were banned since 2008?
Quick google search says that curved swords greater than 50cm are banned, with multiple exceptions (martial arts, theater/movie performances, religion, tradition). I'm guessing that gyakuto is referencing a call for a more complete ban.

Here's the link I used if you want to see the full list

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
During a robbery gone wrong my brother in law was stabbed a single time with a tiny pocket knife, just over an inch long and it didn't have a locking blade, and he is very lucky to be with us today. A big part of it was that he got hit in the liver but I was also shocked by how deep that little blade penetrated with an adrenaline fueled strike behind it. Terrifying stuff. I would take even a small blade seriously in the hands of a determined attacker.

gyoja

3rd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
During a robbery gone wrong my brother in law was stabbed a single time with a tiny pocket knife, just over an inch long and it didn't have a locking blade, and he is very lucky to be with us today. A big part of it was that he got hit in the liver but I was also shocked by how deep that little blade penetrated with an adrenaline fueled strike behind it. Terrifying stuff. I would take even a small blade seriously in the hands of a determined attacker.
Doesn’t take much.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick google search says that curved swords greater than 50cm are banned, with multiple exceptions (martial arts, theater/movie performances, religion, tradition). I'm guessing that gyakuto is referencing a call for a more complete ban.

Here's the link I used if you want to see the full list
The curious thing is, when I was a magistrate at that time I asked a court clerk (the legal expert) for clarification on that law and she said it was not straightforward and open to wide interpretation!

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
SOLUTION: Outlaw murder and any assault using any object as a weapon.

If some creep with a rotted brain wants to stab someone, failure to acquire his weapon of choice won't stop him. "Awe shucks, I guess I won't be stabbing anyone today since I can't find my favorite weapon, a bone handled carbon steel knife with a 5 & 14/39" blade; can't use a sword as they are illegal and I could face jail time just for having one".

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SOLUTION: Outlaw murder and any assault using any object as a weapon.
YES! Now how do we implement this…🤔
If some creep with a rotted brain wants to stab someone, failure to acquire his weapon of choice won't stop him. "Awe shucks, I guess I won't be stabbing anyone today since I can't find my favorite weapon, a bone handled carbon steel knife with a 5 & 14/39" blade; can't use a sword as they are illegal and I could face jail time just for having one".
That is the point, I suppose…nutters. Should purchasing swords etc require a mental health check or similar? Of course kitchen knives etc will still be accessible for the determined nutter.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not all that difficult. Humans are squishy. I don't care what the people who wrote "Abs of Steel" claim, you're still squishy. A 3" blade, such as is commonly seen on a Swiss Army Knife, will easily reach vital organs, as the squishy tissues compress.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not all that difficult. Humans are squishy. I don't care what the people who wrote "Abs of Steel" claim, you're still squishy. A 3" blade, such as is commonly seen on a Swiss Army Knife, will easily reach vital organs, as the squishy tissues compress.
Yes, that’s a good point. My guess is that a 3 inch blade, stabbed into an average American/British man, with their deep, built in, burger/fries/large portion-derived squidgy armour would superficially pierce abdominal organs leading a slower haemorrhage compared to major vessel damage.
But the major abdominal blood vessels (abdominal aorta/vena cava) are toward the posterior of the abdominal cavity, running along the vertebral column and I think it’s unlikely a 3 inch blade would quite reach them, and so causing catastrophic, difficult-to-deal-with haemorrhage. But never say never!

Latest Discussions