Combat Jiu-Jitsu with Matt Bryers

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Folks disagreeing is fine but can we keep it on the friendly side of disagreeing

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, back after some internet issues… and there's a few things I'd like to clarify.

Then let's look at the bolded form of "BS", yeah? That's really where some of this is coming from. Now, to be clear, creating an evolving system, as Matt is doing, isn't an issue in and of itself… it's when certain claims are made that are patently false, or inaccurate.

Hmm...I think that you know very well what I mean Chris, but somehow I can't help but to think that you're twisting my words a bit. You've been on these forums long enough, and have been around the Martial Arts world long enough to know what I mean. We've seen some rather 'interesting' folks, for lack of better words, come on here, touting their 'art', which turns out, to, well...be quite a joke. But if we think about it, many arts have been created, by folks, who have mixed legit arts together. Hell, BJJ came from Judo, no? Kajukenbo came from a mix or arts, yet it's a devastating and well respected art, that's been proven.

I'm going to address this more with Steve's post in a bit, but no, Matt's answers weren't "fine". The only way that they can be seen to be fine is to not understand the questions I asked, or to not actually read the two posts (my questions and his "answers") next to each other. This isn't a "difference of opinion" situation.

OK, to each their own then. We'll agree to disagree. :)

The Bujinkan is an interesting case-study… if the claim is simply that Hatsumi studied under Takamatsu, then there's no controversy… even with Takamatsu himself, there is support and validation of a number of his arts, and his teachers of them… it's only some of the traditions, and one teacher of Takamatsu's, that lends the controversy, realistically… and, even there, there is some support.

But, honestly, that's fairly removed from the situation I described. And the thing is, I get Matt's point (and yours)… but it's really fairly irrelevant in this occasion. My questions were about the history and claims of the system… and I was asking the head instructor of a school for the system… saying "well, it doesn't matter" doesn't cut it, frankly.

OK

"Back then", Mike??? "When that art was around"??? Kyudo is a modern variation on older forms of Japanese archery… it was only really "formed" in 1953, when the initial maul was published… and is absolutely "still around"… it's not about "honouring tradition", you realise… and, as far as practical archery, well, that's more in line with hunting than anything else (although that's really not a consideration in Kyudo), but you might as well ask if anyone fights with an epee anymore, and if not, why have fencing in the Olympics?

But, realistically, that's kinda my point… I was using Kyudo as an example of martial arts not being "about fighting"… so… you're agreeing with me?

Yes, back then. This question was sparked by something that you said...that the purpose of some arts, was not fighting, you pointed to Kyudo. I made a comment that sure, some things are done for the sake of a tradition. It's no different than training sword or bo. Nobody today, walks around with either. Sure, can you say that you could grab a broom and use it as a bo? Sure, but odds are, in many circumstances, a broom isn't going to be available. So....technically, you're (not YOU, just a figure of speech) training weapons that really have no purpose...other than tradition. Wearing a gi or uniform specific to an art, is also the same thing, considering that nobody walks around outside of the dojo/training hall/gym, wearing one. Yet how many people do you actually see in a typical MA school, training in street clothes...you know...clothes that you'll probably be wearing daily?

My point to all of this: No, IMHO, Kyudo is not about fighting. Of course, nothing says that a modern bow hunter of today, has to train Kyudo in order to hunt deer with a bow.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would also like to express my support and encouragement to Matt Bryers and his efforts. To my eyes it looks like a fine program.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Welcome to the boards Matt. Love the vid. Looks like a high quality school.