old-school jiu jitsu

kingofjong

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello

I was wondering does any one know of any schools, academies, or One on One instructors that teach old school jiu jitsu?

Thank you
Kingofjong

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on your other thread, I'm assuming you mean old school BJJ, rather than some sort of traditional koryu school.

Sure, I know of plenty of old school BJJ academies. The question is, are there any located close to where you are. It does no good for me to point you to a school in California if you live in France. If you let us know your whereabouts, perhaps one of us could come up with some recommendations.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are a ton of high-quality BJJ gyms in Chicago, and probably more in the surrounding areas. Just google "Chicago BJJ" and you'll find a bunch of results.

Unfortunately, I don't know which gyms in the area spend a significant amount of time on the full old-school curriculum (starting standing, dealing with punches, getting the clinch, executing the takedown, and finishing on the ground) as opposed to just focusing on the ground grappling aspect. I checked some websites and couldn't find any that specified one way or another. So you'll need to start with google, find a list of gyms that are within a convenient commute for you, then call and ask about their curriculum. Once you find some likely candidates, visit the schools, and check out the classes for yourself to see if they fit your criteria.

Latest Discussions