Cobra Kai series 2 trailer

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

looks good looks like more focus on the karate and dojo rivalry than teenage angst this series.

Also fair play to Daniel teaching for free.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting promo photo here. 2 things. First looks like Daniels demoted Robbie to white belt as he had a black belt in the tournament and kind of weird his daughters a white belt as its been shown she's done karate since she was a kid.

image.png

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the video all the students - Daniel’s and Johnny’s - were wearing white belts when training. I guess the black belts are competition belts or something.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the video all the students - Daniel’s and Johnny’s - were wearing white belts when training. I guess the black belts are competition belts or something.
That's just weird lol. It makes sense for Robbie because Daniel never gave him a black belt as he entered himself but for cobra Kai it's weird they'd go from black belts in competition to white belts again. I get it from a film making point of view. Seeing people fighting at the end in black belts looks a lot more visually pleasing than white belts

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's just weird lol. It makes sense for Robbie because Daniel never gave him a black belt as he entered himself but for cobra Kai it's weird they'd go from black belts in competition to white belts again. I get it from a film making point of view. Seeing people fighting at the end in black belts looks a lot more visually pleasing than white belts
If I remember right, daniel had to be given a fake black belt in the original movie. It might be a style where the only two belts are white and black, so his daughter, despite training could not be at black yet.

The other option is that the belt is based on current training-in my original school if you went over a year without training, you would be given a provisional belt until you could prove that you deserved your original belt. I doubt that's where they're going with it in the show, but it could make sense since (iirc) his daughter hasn't actually trained in years.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I remember right, daniel had to be given a fake black belt in the original movie. It might be a style where the only two belts are white and black, so his daughter, despite training could not be at black yet.

The other option is that the belt is based on current training-in my original school if you went over a year without training, you would be given a provisional belt until you could prove that you deserved your original belt. I doubt that's where they're going with it in the show, but it could make sense since (iirc) his daughter hasn't actually trained in years.
No miyagis style has no belts at all because when he asked what belt he was he replied "canvas jc penny you like?" So there's no belts at all in that style. I wonder if the writers or directors actually have any training. I know in the originals pat Johnson was one of chuck Norris's black belts and the guy who played Bobby in the original was a legit black belt who actually still teaches today

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Lamar from the Revenge of the Nerds was a brown belt.
8EBF8DB1-2308-4FAA-A28C-3CA09298E534.jpeg

The fat guy was too.
6605F7ED-6B96-41E6-A86B-B15C50A787CB.jpeg

Just sayin’.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Guy kneeling right behind Kreese is a green belt. I’m pretty sure Lamar was a green belt when they were sparring in the dojo. He probably got promoted to brown belt in between that day and the tournament.
906FB2F0-472C-4217-858D-7FE4A5C173DB.jpeg

Realistically, what probably happened was them handing out belts to the uncredited people/people without lines, ran out, and they probably had to scrounge up anything else they could find quickly.

Edit: I guess Lamar’s name was Roberts. His belt looks green to me when he point fights Bobby Brown (great name):

Not that any of this is really important anyway. We’re making more of it than the writers did IMO.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thos were cobra kai guys though. Different style
No idea why I quoted you here. I was just saying in general. Johnny’s Cobra Kais wear white belts in the dojo, yet are black belts at tournaments. Kreese’s crew wore black and colored belts in the dojo and competition.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
New trailer people. Tbh while this does look good Daniel vs Johnny Johnny vs kreese etc but some of this seems more like a chuck Norris movie and honestly it doesn't promote martial arts in a good way with the school fights being that way idk it looks epic and exciting and of course I'll watch but seems they're going down more the action route than the character drama from the first series and the movies. But that could just be the way it's edited for the trailer

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
New trailer people. Tbh while this does look good Daniel vs Johnny Johnny vs kreese etc but some of this seems more like a chuck Norris movie and honestly it doesn't promote martial arts in a good way with the school fights being that way idk it looks epic and exciting and of course I'll watch but seems they're going down more the action route than the character drama from the first series and the movies. But that could just be the way it's edited for the trailer

Yeah, quite possibly the trailer to get people interested vs the actual storyline. I’m really looking forward to it.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, quite possibly the trailer to get people interested vs the actual storyline. I’m really looking forward to it.
One thing I thought weird was Johnny was working with kreese again. Now probably that'll end up causing conflict but seriously he nearly choked the guy out after losing a competition why would you work with that guy again

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One thing I thought weird was Johnny was working with kreese again. Now probably that'll end up causing conflict but seriously he nearly choked the guy out after losing a competition why would you work with that guy again
I guess we’ll have to see how it comes about.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ahhhhh that looks awesome... so wanna watch this... still can't believe Kreese is back... and that gave me goosebumps when Daniel and Johnny were about to fight, then the flashback to the tournament ahhhhrrrgh.....

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
New scene released. Martin Kove is a great actor it's a shame he never got much chance to show it in the originals especially the third. I always thought there was an interesting story behind Kreese like why he developed his style that way. I watched an interview with him and he said a lot of his past is explained and it explains him founding cobra Kai and explores his relationship with Johnny and how he actually saw him as a son.

Latest Discussions