Which MartialTalk members do you feel are most like you?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are a couple of people that I really butt heads with on this forum. There's a lot of others that I enjoy talking with, but quite often see how different we are from each other. But there are three people that I really identify with on this forum, that I hope are not offended by the comparison.

@gpseymour seems to say a lot of things I agree with, and agree with a lot of the things I say. He's also a forum junkie (like me), with over 18000 posts on this forum. We don't train the same martial art, and we seem to have different training structures within our arts, but we also seem to think the same way on a lot of topics that pertain to how to improve in martial arts.

@Buka has a lot of quirky ways of looking at things. His sense of humor seems very similar to mine, and I find a lot of his tongue-in-cheek posts quite funny.

@Kung Fu Wang posts a lot of interesting questions. Some of them are "why didn't I think of that before?" Some of them are great for getting me to analyze my own training. Some teach me something new, just by asking the question. Some come out of left field. Sometimes the question is quickly rabbit-trailed and we're way off topic before the question can even be answered. The last happens quite a lot when I ask questions.

These are the 3 MT members I see resembling myself. Who do you guys see that resembles yourself?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
LOL. I think there are several folks on this forum I would enjoy spending time with, but I don't think there's anyone I would say is like me. I wouldn't want to put that on anyone. :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just like Steve, there are absolutely some people I'd want to meet up with, but I wouldn't consider them 'like' me. And I'm not saying who I'd want to meet up with because a: that's a long list and I'm sure to forget someone, and B: some people on here I could see getting offended that they weren't included.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of people that I really butt heads with on this forum. There's a lot of others that I enjoy talking with, but quite often see how different we are from each other. But there are three people that I really identify with on this forum, that I hope are not offended by the comparison.

@gpseymour seems to say a lot of things I agree with, and agree with a lot of the things I say. He's also a forum junkie (like me), with over 18000 posts on this forum. We don't train the same martial art, and we seem to have different training structures within our arts, but we also seem to think the same way on a lot of topics that pertain to how to improve in martial arts.

@Buka has a lot of quirky ways of looking at things. His sense of humor seems very similar to mine, and I find a lot of his tongue-in-cheek posts quite funny.

@Kung Fu Wang posts a lot of interesting questions. Some of them are "why didn't I think of that before?" Some of them are great for getting me to analyze my own training. Some teach me something new, just by asking the question. Some come out of left field. Sometimes the question is quickly rabbit-trailed and we're way off topic before the question can even be answered. The last happens quite a lot when I ask questions.

These are the 3 MT members I see resembling myself. Who do you guys see that resembles yourself?
Oddly, some of the folks I see commonalities with are also some of the folks I see the biggest contrast with.

Sometimes @Steve and I think the same way, and other times we can't even understand each other's points.

@drop bear and I seem to have some common thoughts a lot, too, but don't agree (pretty strongly) on some key bits that might be less key than either of us think if we had a chance to work out together. (Though I still strongly suspect I'm the least tough of the two of us, and would just whine the next day about him roughing me up.)

@kempodisciple and have had some discussions online and offline that make me think we think alike on a lot of stuff, though we have very different backgrounds.

@JowGaWolf and I also have different backgrounds, and his tan is much more consistent than mine, but we share a lot of attitudes about our training and respective arts.

@Buka isn't like anybody, but he feels like someone I've known for a long time, so I'm putting him on the list, anyway.

And others, but this is already starting to sound like a bad acceptance speech at the Oscars.

I guess, like Steve, I don't see others as being like me (nobody else is that pretty), but I see a lot of commonalities with these folks and some others here. Frankly, I see a lot more likeness than difference among the folks here. I mean, for the most part we all go do things other people don't understand, take a beating, and keep coming back...with a smile. We're all a strange breed.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oddly, some of the folks I see commonalities with are also some of the folks I see the biggest contrast with.

Sometimes @Steve and I think the same way, and other times we can't even understand each other's points.

@drop bear and I seem to have some common thoughts a lot, too, but don't agree (pretty strongly) on some key bits that might be less key than either of us think if we had a chance to work out together. (Though I still strongly suspect I'm the least tough of the two of us, and would just whine the next day about him roughing me up.)

@kempodisciple and have had some discussions online and offline that make me think we think alike on a lot of stuff, though we have very different backgrounds.

@JowGaWolf and I also have different backgrounds, and his tan is much more consistent than mine, but we share a lot of attitudes about our training and respective arts.

@Buka isn't like anybody, but he feels like someone I've known for a long time, so I'm putting him on the list, anyway.

And others, but this is already starting to sound like a bad acceptance speech at the Oscars.

I guess, like Steve, I don't see others as being like me (nobody else is that pretty), but I see a lot of commonalities with these folks and some others here. Frankly, I see a lot more likeness than difference among the folks here. I mean, for the most part we all go do things other people don't understand, take a beating, and keep coming back...with a smile. We're all a strange breed.
I was going to mention you, but if you’re not going to mention me, then forget it. I thought we were friends. :(

I’d love to have a beer or two with everyone here, even the people I disagree with more often than agree with.

Well, everyone here minus one now. You just got crossed off the list @gpseymour :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I think Gerry copies me a lot. That's sort of the same thing.

I think I have a lot in common with Matt Damon. I don't think he posts here, though.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was going to mention you, but if you’re not going to mention me, then forget it. I thought we were friends. :(

I’d love to have a beer or two with everyone here, even the people I disagree with more often than agree with.

Well, everyone here minus one now. You just got crossed off the list @gpseymour :)

What about people that don't drink?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Haha great thread @skribs :).

Not sure if any are like me, but for sure I certainly vibe with some more than others.

I share similar philosophies with many, and tend to connect more with those who appreciate the deeper aspects of martial arts, whatever that means!

And I also have great respect for those folk who, even though we're very different with different interests, philosophies and martial arts, I can understand their approach and method, and admire the heck out of it.

That sounded almost overly politically correct but I meant it haha :p.

And I quite admire the different styles of posts too. You can tell alot about people by the common style of their posts, even if it's just letters on a screen!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fine. I'll take @kempodisciple off my list to make room for you. Happy? If he complains, I'll just tell him he's imagining things - the result of too many concussions.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm unique.
And I'm sure there are plenty of people who are very happy for that fact.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't know. Are Chuck Norris, Paul Bunyan, or Stephen Hawking members here?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would enjoy meeting everyone, we are all unique. Experiences are different therefore perspectives, thoughts, and opinions are different. I come for that and not necessarily the sameness; though affirmation is nice from time to time.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I came from the traditional CMA background but sometime I'm anti-CMA. 1/2 of my soul live in the ancient. 1/2 of my soul live in the modern. It will be very difficult for me to find someone on this forum who can be as anti-main stream as I'm.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions