Chow interview

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
dsp921 said:
The interview is from 1986, in it Perkins says that he was in Hawaii for 5 months, hardly enough time to claim to be Prof. Chow's student (in my opinion). He also says that Jacob was 29 at the time.
I can't dispute what you say, I'm going by my recollection of conversations with Perkins back in 1996. I believe I may have worked out with Perkins twice and had short conversations afterwards. He also gave me some xerox's of some of his articles.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ray said:
I can't dispute what you say, I'm going by my recollection of conversations with Perkins back in 1996. I believe I may have worked out with Perkins twice and had short conversations afterwards. He also gave me some xerox's of some of his articles.
Your memory is pretty good for conversations that are 10 years old. I don't mean to try to correct you or agrue with what you remember. I just read the interview so it's fresh in my mind.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
dsp921 said:
Your memory is pretty good for conversations that are 10 years old. I don't mean to try to correct you or agrue with what you remember. I just read the interview so it's fresh in my mind.
Thanks, but my memory gets worse by the week. Does Jim's article say anything about Chow being reduced to collecting bottles and teaching MA for his support? Supposedly he was bitter about the success of his students and his lack of; and that's some of the reason for his remarks about parker; but I understand he just loathed Mitose.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ray said:
Thanks, but my memory gets worse by the week. Does Jim's article say anything about Chow being reduced to collecting bottles and teaching MA for his support? Supposedly he was bitter about the success of his students and his lack of; and that's some of the reason for his remarks about parker; but I understand he just loathed Mitose.
No, no mention of collecting bottles. It's basically a transcript of a conversation they had one day after a class. There is a part where Chow says something about everyone claiming to be his BB just to make money, though. It's not really that long of an interview.

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
koga ha said:
well, this stand up guy fraudulently posed as someone who was trained in kempo and taught masses of people like yourself.

the real tragety here is the fact that people in "juchniks" system know absoulutely nothing about kempo.

however, people got a tremendous lesson in imagination and how it works. i think you hit the nail on the head when you said, "there are a ton of ideas..." because that's all they are, ideas...really.

all jokes aside, what juchnik teaches is fake and could cost his students more than just money.

i'm sure some of his ex-students would back me up or maybe not because this is one place where you all hang out and talk about kempo.

yes i have legitimate training.

So a guy who had like 9 months of training, knows all about Kempo, huh??

Anyhow, I'm not really one of Bruce Juchnik's students-so I won't assume to tell you about his style training
Can you tell me where you got your legitimate training at???

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
fistlaw720 said:
Who was/is Jacob is my question as well?
Yeah, that is something I'm pretty curious about as well. It says that Jacob was Chow's student from the time he was 5 years old, he was 29 when the interview took place in '86. You'd think we'd have heard of him by now. Maybe it isn't his real name?

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I thought it kinda odd that you never hear of jacob So and so being associated with Chow. At the time he had trained 24 years so it's hard to imagine that he would dissappear

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
So a guy who had like 9 months of training, knows all about Kempo, huh??

Anyhow, I'm not really one of Bruce Juchnik's students-so I won't assume to tell you about his style training
Can you tell me where you got your legitimate training at???
i was waiting for someone to post up this interview, article of chow...i guess we are still off topic.

well, on your site it said you trained with juchnik. you (assuming) wrote it and now you are not one of his students?!? you know you claim juchnik and pass on his ideas.

i'll entertain your question (you know who i am). i receive training in philly.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
I thought it kinda odd that you never hear of jacob So and so being associated with Chow. At the time he had trained 24 years so it's hard to imagine that he would dissappear

Not everyone has a desire to teach I met a guy in another for of Kenpo that had been studying for over thirty years and I asked him what degree he was he said 1st degree. So I then ask was that thirty years of continuous training he said yes. After several more questions and answers he basically said “I just want to learn, I don’t want to teach, I don’t even want a belt but it holds my Gi top closed”. I agree with most of his philosophy with the exception of teaching.

Maybe Jacob had a similar philosophy. If anyone can dig up Jacobs last name I am sure he still lives in Hawaii I will try to look him up I will as all of the old timers and try to talk to him and report back. That is of course when I get back to Hawaii.

V/R

Rick

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
I'm on thin ice with this recollection: it had something to do with Kuoha having the monetary resources to "take over" Kara-ho and Jacob not having the resources.

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm sorry Mr Juchnik was an important influence, since I don't really follow his system, I should'nt list myself as a member of his ryu. However I think highly enough of him to mention it. I sorry if this confused anyone.
Before i get too bad with things I'll leave things where they are at...

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bruce Juchnik is not the topic. Please either go with the Chow/Mitose Black Belt article, or reactivate one of the old, old, old, old, old Bruce Juchnik contraversy threads.

Thanks,
-Michael Billings-
-MT Super Moderator-

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I read this article a few hours ago in a public library. If you are interested in the history of kenpo/kempo and are open-minded, this is a MUST read article even though it's short so that you can have a good understanding of what really HAPPENED in this past. Of course, you can have a picture of *present* and *future* in kenpo/kempo.

You have heard what other said why don't you see what Chow had to say.? it's interesting :)

In all BB magzine articles, this is THE FIRST and only ONE which I read.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jacob Goetz? He is listed under Master Bill Chun Jr, who studied under Professor Chow.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
fistlaw720 said:
Jacob Goetz? He is listed under Master Bill Chun Jr, who studied under Professor Chow.

The Jacob Goetz I know in No. Calif. (Under Bill Chun Jr.) is in his late teens or early 20's.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
fistlaw720 said:
Gosh, I'm only an hour and a half from Des Moines. Maybe I should reacquaint myself with Mr Perkins--I can't substantiate his accounts, but I can probably pass them on?​

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ray,
that would be nice if you could get togeather with him again and discuss the article then let us know what he had to say

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ray said:
Gosh, I'm only an hour and a half from Des Moines. Maybe I should reacquaint myself with Mr Perkins--I can't substantiate his accounts, but I can probably pass them on?[/left]
At least find out who Jacob is.....

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
koga ha said:
i was waiting for someone to post up this interview, article of chow...i guess we are still off topic.

well, on your site it said you trained with juchnik. you (assuming) wrote it and now you are not one of his students?!? you know you claim juchnik and pass on his ideas.

i'll entertain your question (you know who i am). i receive training in philly.
Well considering copyright issues, I've posted a "synopsis" of the interview on another thread.

Latest Discussions