Chow interview

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't how many of you read Black Belt magazine. In this month's issue they had a 20 year interview with GM William KS Chow.
Highlights. Well Chow seemed to dismiss any of the people that were renouned for studying with him. Called Mitose a fraud, a Con (big surprise), also big on the idea that he (chow) at one timed kicked Mitose's bodyguards a**. Proclaimed himself a 15th degree. He also said a guy by the name of Jacob (the interviewer did'nt give last name) as his inheritor (de jour). Who was/is Jacob??

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey I don't have access to BB magazine right now I am currently in Iraq could I talk anyone into scanning in the article and emailit to me?

V/R

Rick English

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
I don't how many of you read Black Belt magazine. In this month's issue they had a 20 year interview with GM William KS Chow.
Highlights. Well Chow seemed to dismiss any of the people that were renouned for studying with him. Called Mitose a fraud, a Con (big surprise), also big on the idea that he (chow) at one timed kicked Mitose's bodyguards a**. Proclaimed himself a 15th degree. He also said a guy by the name of Jacob (the interviewer did'nt give last name) as his inheritor (de jour). Who was/is Jacob??
where do you get this stuff from? a cracker jack box? oh, black belt magazine.

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know the reliablity of Black Belt has suffered since Durbin quit publishing his story articles.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
I saw the article and was wondering how reliabe the author was. I was not surprised by the things Chow said about Mitose, but I was surprised by what he had to say about Parker. I know they didn't part on the best of terms but his comments still were harsher than I would have expected.

Rick, I should be able to scan the article as a couple of jpegs and forward them to you if you want.

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
dsp921 said:
I saw the article and was wondering how reliabe the author was. I was not surprised by the things Chow said about Mitose, but I was surprised by what he had to say about Parker. I know they didn't part on the best of terms but his comments still were harsher than I would have expected.

Rick, I should be able to scan the article as a couple of jpegs and forward them to you if you want.
if true, i am very surprised what chow said about mitose. i wouldn't be to surprised about the parker comments.

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why? Chow was always arrogently dismissive of Mitose. There truely seems to be no lost love there

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
I know the reliablity of Black Belt has suffered since Durbin quit publishing his story articles.
off topic...i see that you have training under juchnik. now i get why you are so angry at the koga ha ryu...it's not your fault you spent a lot of time, money, and effort learning some made-up system of ma.

i think there is a thread on here called stoog foo

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Why? Chow was always arrogently dismissive of Mitose. There truely seems to be no lost love there
are you talking on a personal level or professional (ma)?

personally, chow could have disliked mitose. professionally, i would question that.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
koga ha said:
are you talking on a personal level or professional (ma)?

personally, chow could have disliked mitose. professionally, i would question that.
If the interview is accurate with the quotes, and Chow did make the comments written, it would seem that Prof Chow didn't think highly of Mitose on either level, but that's just my read.

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
dsp921 said:
If the interview is accurate with the quotes, and Chow did make the comments written, it would seem that Prof Chow didn't think highly of Mitose on either level, but that's just my read.
i really, really have a hard time believing the article.

someone post it up, so we can see what it reads.

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
koga ha said:
off topic...i see that you have training under juchnik. now i get why you are so angry at the koga ha ryu...it's not your fault you spent a lot of time, money, and effort learning some made-up system of ma.

i think there is a thread on here called stoog foo
Actually, Bruce Juchnik is a stand up guy. I would say, in spite of the controversy that surround him he is a great teacher. Koga ha I'm not angry, just a kind of "bitter amusement". There are a ton of ideas that Mr Juchnik teachs that are applicable to a wide range of arts...

Have you had any legitimate training??

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have the latest copy either. Can you tell me who the author of the article is?

There was a man named Perkins that I bumped into several years ago who is/was a contributing writer to MA mags. He said he was once a student of Mr. Chow's and that a young man named Jacob (or Joshua?) was picked by Chow as a successor.

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the name was William Perkins on the authorship

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
I'm pretty sure the name was William Perkins on the authorship
If it's the same Perkins (and I'm getting so old, I thought I recalled his first name as Jim), he was teaching as "Perkins Hawaiian Kenpo" in Des Moines back in 1996.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
fistlaw720 said:
Who was/is Jacob is my question as well?
According to my recollection of what I was told, Jacob was a kid somewhere in the age of 16 to 18 years old at the time.

Perkins told me that he (both Perkins and Jacob) was in one of the last groups of students that Chow taught.

koga ha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Actually, Bruce Juchnik is a stand up guy. I would say, in spite of the controversy that surround him he is a great teacher. Koga ha I'm not angry, just a kind of "bitter amusement". There are a ton of ideas that Mr Juchnik teachs that are applicable to a wide range of arts...

Have you had any legitimate training??
well, this stand up guy fraudulently posed as someone who was trained in kempo and taught masses of people like yourself.

the real tragety here is the fact that people in "juchniks" system know absoulutely nothing about kempo.

however, people got a tremendous lesson in imagination and how it works. i think you hit the nail on the head when you said, "there are a ton of ideas..." because that's all they are, ideas...really.

all jokes aside, what juchnik teaches is fake and could cost his students more than just money.

i'm sure some of his ex-students would back me up or maybe not because this is one place where you all hang out and talk about kempo.

yes i have legitimate training.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ray said:
According to my recollection of what I was told, Jacob was a kid somewhere in the age of 16 to 18 years old at the time.

Perkins told me that he (both Perkins and Jacob) was in one of the last groups of students that Chow taught.
The interview is from 1986, in it Perkins says that he was in Hawaii for 5 months, hardly enough time to claim to be Prof. Chow's student (in my opinion). He also says that Jacob was 29 at the time.