Cell Phones

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I support a few Windows Mobile devices. The interface to me seems very cluttered on a smaller device. I like the simplicity of the Palm OS. Having said that, I've already added several apps to my Treo, either outright purchases or trials: pTunes, mRing, SnapperMail, Docs To Go, Card Export, Central, eReader, File Prog, QuickNews, VolumeCare. I'm thinking of trying out Verichat as well. I love the versatility of this device. I've gone from carrying a Palm and cell, to one device that combines the two, and much more.
BTW, David, good call on SnapperMail. I like the "finger navigation" option. It comes in handy when I want to check mail quickly without needing to pull out the stylus. I'll definitely be registering this once my trial's up.

OP
Monadnock

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Part of my decision was from a developer point of view as well. I generally write apps for AutoCAD but there are some API's for mobile devices out there I want to tap into as well. I'm not sure if I can do it from Dev Studio 2003 or if I have to go to 2005 but that's the plan :)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I support a few Windows Mobile devices. The interface to me seems very cluttered on a smaller device. I like the simplicity of the Palm OS. Having said that, I've already added several apps to my Treo, either outright purchases or trials: pTunes, mRing, SnapperMail, Docs To Go, Card Export, Central, eReader, File Prog, QuickNews, VolumeCare. I'm thinking of trying out Verichat as well. I love the versatility of this device. I've gone from carrying a Palm and cell, to one device that combines the two, and much more.
BTW, David, good call on SnapperMail. I like the "finger navigation" option. It comes in handy when I want to check mail quickly without needing to pull out the stylus. I'll definitely be registering this once my trial's up.
You should have a registered version of Docs To Go when you bought the phone. Mine was. I use it all the time. Docs To Go is awesome.

I have pTunes Deluxe (registered)
BackupMan (registered, best $10 I EVER spent)

I tried VeriChat. It works great but will run your battery down if you leave it on and connected like one would do Yahoo! Chat. It is nice, but I really didn't like their subscription based fee. I want to pay for it once, not every year.

As a matter of fact, I used VeriChat to chat with and send pictures to my friend in Cape Coral Florida, as I was taking them from my balcony on a cruise ship in the port of St. Thomas USVI in Novemember of last year. It was cool! I was trying to make him home-sick as he used to live there.

Some of the pics I took with the Treo650 can be found here...

http://www.everythingtreo.com/forum/9640-post133.html

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Monadnock said:
Part of my decision was from a developer point of view as well. I generally write apps for AutoCAD but there are some API's for mobile devices out there I want to tap into as well. I'm not sure if I can do it from Dev Studio 2003 or if I have to go to 2005 but that's the plan :)

As a developer, my relationship with Microsoft is a definitely a love/hate relationship. ;) There are many things I don't like about Microsoft, but Microsoft is my tools of the trade so I have to like them to some to degree... However, I do dabble around with Linux.

I have Dev 2003, but I WILL be getting 2005, the company pays for it. :D

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
You should have a registered version of Docs To Go when you bought the phone. Mine was. I use it all the time. Docs To Go is awesome.
I did. I went to the DataViz site because I was prompted to update, and found out that I can upgrade to DTG 8.0 Premium for $30, as opposed to the $40 that most online stores are selling it for.
Speaking of upgrades, Sprint has a 1.13 update out. My Treo came at 1.12a. Have you updated, and if so, did you see any change?

BackupMan (registered, best $10 I EVER spent)
I'm a longtime BackupBuddy user. It's a little more expensive than a few of the other options, but I have never had a problem with it.

I tried VeriChat. It works great but will run your battery down if you leave it on and connected like one would do Yahoo! Chat. It is nice, but I really didn't like their subscription based fee. I want to pay for it once, not every year.
I'm going to try Verichat and a few of the other options. We'll see how it goes...

Some of the pics I took with the Treo650 can be found here...

http://www.everythingtreo.com/forum/9640-post133.html
Nice pics. I've played around with the Treo camera a little. It's not exactly high-resolution, but great for those "I wish I had a camera!" times...

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I did. I went to the DataViz site because I was prompted to update, and found out that I can upgrade to DTG 8.0 Premium for $30, as opposed to the $40 that most online stores are selling it for.
I haven't upgraded yet. Don't know if I will. Although 8.0 has PDF capability which is an enticing function.

Kreth said:
Speaking of upgrades, Sprint has a 1.13 update out. My Treo came at 1.12a. Have you updated, and if so, did you see any change?
Yes, I updated a week ago. I had to have the Treo replaced, it was having a problem with the headset jack. The new treo only had 1.12a with the new Sprint/Nextel logo. I promptly upgraded since the latest mentions some memory management changes. I figured more efficent memory management couldn't hurt. :) I haven't seen any adverse issues. Seems very stable.

Kreth said:
Nice pics. I've played around with the Treo camera a little. It's not exactly high-resolution, but great for those "I wish I had a camera!" times...
Thanks :) Yes, the camera is really not that good, but like you said, it is great for the "I wish I had a camera" scenarios.

I think I am going to start a TREO650 thread and see who else has one! :D

Latest Discussions