Cell Phones

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
At this point, I think I'll be ordering a Treo from Ebay, and accessories from everythingtreo.com.
go to www.sprint.com and order it there. I think they even give another $10 or $15 discount if you order online. This way they can send it to your office or home so you don't have to drive.

IMHO, I wouldn't order on ebay. I don't think you will find a deal on those types of items.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
$504.94 through Sprint without activating a new line. I may go this route just so I know it's a NIB phone with a clean ESN. I've been looking at a couple of form-fit cases, and for headsets, I'm hearing good things about the Palm headset, and the Cardo Scala 500.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
It gets better! Just yesterday I learned how to rip DVDs to fit on the Treo. I have The Last Samurai down to 257MB. Fits nicely on my 1GB SD card and looks and sounds (with stereo headset) awesome! :) That was just a test to see how to do it. It is really cool to be able to watch a movie(s) or listen to MP3s when your bored. I know it is a geek thing... LOL

Can i ask what software you used to do this?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
Can i ask what software you used to do this?
Sure! Two, things...

DVDShrink (free) --This rips the DVD to a VOB file.

Lathe ($5.95) --This takes the VOB file and reduces to various preset handhelds, such as the iPod, Treo 600/650 and several other phones and PDAs. You can also customize your settings as well. It seems to be pretty versatile.

Here is a link to the How-to.

http://www.everythingtreo.com/forum/11294-post1.html

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
$504.94 through Sprint without activating a new line. I may go this route just so I know it's a NIB phone with a clean ESN. I've been looking at a couple of form-fit cases, and for headsets, I'm hearing good things about the Palm headset, and the Cardo Scala 500.
I have heard good things about both myself. As for form-fit case. There are some rubber skin type cases. Although they protect very well, the do pickup tons of lint and can begin to look kind of nasty.

Check this site out for tons of information.

http://www.everythingtreo.com/forum/http://www.everythingtreo.com/forum/

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Sure! Two, things...

DVDShrink (free) --This rips the DVD to a VOB file.

Lathe ($5.95) --This takes the VOB file and reduces to various preset handhelds, such as the iPod, Treo 600/650 and several other phones and PDAs. You can also customize your settings as well. It seems to be pretty versatile.

Here is a link to the How-to.

http://www.everythingtreo.com/forum/11294-post1.html

Thanks sir, $5.95 is completely reasonable, neat!

OP
Monadnock

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
At this point, I think I'll be ordering a Treo from Ebay, and accessories from everythingtreo.com.

Is it easy to just get a phone yourself and then have some type of service (Verizon/Sprint/Cingular) added to it? Is there some sort of programming they have to do?

Thanks for helping the 'not-so-informed'...

Mike

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Monadnock said:
Is it easy to just get a phone yourself and then have some type of service (Verizon/Sprint/Cingular) added to it? Is there some sort of programming they have to do?

Thanks for helping the 'not-so-informed'...

Mike
Yes, there are differences...

There these types of phones...

1. Locked phones (carrier specific)
2. Unlocked phones
3. GSM phones
4. CDMA phones

And... there can be variations of locked/gsm locked/CDMA etc.

Sprint and Verizon are CDMA. I think Cingular and the other carriers are GSM.

If a phone is a CDMA phone it will not work on a GSM network
If a phone is a GSM phone it will not work on a CDMA network

The reason for this is that based on the multiplexing (mux) of the networks. I think one (GSM) uses TDM (Time Division Multiplexing) where the device is connected to the network for a specific amount of time, and the other is FDM (Frequency division multiplexing) CMDA, where the device remains connected to the network but traffic is spread across several frequencys (spread spectrum). CDMA tends to be a faster network than TDM based networks.

I believe the GSM networks can support much more devices in a single cell but they tend to have SLOWER connections. Whereas the CDMA cells can only handle a finite number of concurrent connections, but the speeds are FAST.

Anyway, different carriers have different technologies. Your best bet is to get what is available for your carrier. For instance if you have SprintPCS, get a Sprint phone. Otherwise, you may be asking for problems.

Also, locked phones have a subsidy code. This is the code that makes the phone carrier specific. Typically if purchase a phone with a plan from a provider, there is a subsidy code in that phone and it will not work on another provider's network even if the technology is the same without somehow clearing the subsidy code (making it an unlocked phone).

I hope this helps more than confuses.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
As for form-fit case. There are some rubber skin type cases. Although they protect very well, the do pickup tons of lint and can begin to look kind of nasty.
I'm thinking more of one of the form-fit leather cases. I prefer something substantial wrapped around that investment. I looked at the clip you mentioned, but I thought the single clamp on top would cause wear on the Treo.

Check this site out for tons of information.

http://www.everythingtreo.com/forum/
Exactly where I've been lurking and reading reviews and threads... :)

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So... I picked up my Treo yesterday. I'm liking this. Now I can manage one set of contacts instead of 2 (Outlook/Palm, and cell). I also picked up a Jabra bluetooth headset. It seems to work pretty well. I dialed my voicemail as a test and was able to get about 20 feet away from my Treo before I started to get static. Now to start planning accessories and new software.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
So... I picked up my Treo yesterday. I'm liking this. Now I can manage one set of contacts instead of 2 (Outlook/Palm, and cell). I also picked up a Jabra bluetooth headset. It seems to work pretty well. I dialed my voicemail as a test and was able to get about 20 feet away from my Treo before I started to get static. Now to start planning accessories and new software.

Congrats! :)

Must haves...

PocketTunes Deluxe (you will find Real Player SUX).
SnapperMail email client (you will find that Versamail SUX).

There are probably more but those will be a good start.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Must haves...

PocketTunes Deluxe (you will find Real Player SUX).
SnapperMail email client (you will find that Versamail SUX).

There are probably more but those will be a good start.
I've been reading the "must have" threads at Everything Treo. There's also good lists for accessories and software at the Treonauts site. For e-mail, I'll need something that will let me access both gmail and yahoo. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use it for work, since neither OMA or Exchange ActiveSync is available (guess they don't trust us mobile geeks :)).

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Egads.

Well, ever since PDAs started getting popular I've been waiting for the all-in-ones - the cell phone/PDA/mini-computer/entertainment item to come out and sure enough, as soon as they did, there are wireless viruses and now ya gotta have anti-virus for those things too!!

My cel phone has a mini-planner on it but I can't sync it up which sux.

Altho - I have learned to keep a few crucial numbers on the cel, the vast majority on my palm and back up ... ALL THE TIME.

All I care about is it's gotta make a phone call, have decent coverage, have an alarm and rings I can assign to whomever I want.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Egads.

Well, ever since PDAs started getting popular I've been waiting for the all-in-ones - the cell phone/PDA/mini-computer/entertainment item to come out and sure enough, as soon as they did, there are wireless viruses and now ya gotta have anti-virus for those things too!!
Well the Treo 650 is about as all-in-one that you will find. About viruses, so far, I don't think they have come up with a virus that affects the PalmOS. So I suppose this is a good thing. The other cell phone types...? I don't have a clue.

Get a treo 650 and you will wonder why you didn't do that sooner. :D

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Well the Treo 650 is about as all-in-one that you will find. About viruses, so far, I don't think they have come up with a virus that affects the PalmOS. So I suppose this is a good thing. The other cell phone types...? I don't have a clue.
I disagree. Bejeweled and Vexed are two examples that spring to mind. They both hinder productivity on your Palm... :)

So as for software, I'm starting off with a few essentials. So far, I've installed BackupBuddy VFS, Card Export (allows your SD card to show up as a removable drive in Windows), VolumeCare, FileProg, AlwaysOn, SoftReset, and mRing. Ok, so maybe they're not *all* essentials...

OP
Monadnock

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I ordered my Treo 700w today. Should have it Thursday so I'll post some more then but it looks like it'll be more than I need. Verizon knocked 100 bucks off for trying the unlimited broadband package so it's costing me about $399 for the phone.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Monadnock said:
I ordered my Treo 700w today.
*makes the sign of the cross in Monadnock's direction*
Blasphemy! Windows on a Palm...

:)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
*makes the sign of the cross in Monadnock's direction*
Blasphemy! Windows on a Palm...

:)
Haha :) I am interested in the windows flavor, since I am a developer. I would like to get back into writing handheld applications. I used to write apps for the Palm using AppForge which was an add-in for VB. But they have since really changed their business model and suites so that a) they are VERY expensive and b) they charge for each distributed runtime (that which applications will not run without). :(

So I have decided to try my hand at C++ for the Palm but C++ takes too long to develop applications. But, I think using c# with Visual Studios .NET (I have) I can develop for WIndows CE and Windows Mobile... (I think). So that is the ONLY reason I would be interested in the windows mobile platform.

However.... rumor on the street is there is an 800p coming out this year (possibly as early as March). But at this point it is just rumor.

I too prefer PalmOS.