Can I breathe?

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good morning all,
My sambumnim wants me to work on my Stamina. I have been shown a few things in class to work on it but I do not feel it is enough/I can do more.
I have searched the forum for information on this and read many answers.
What do you guys and gals suggest that I focus on outside the dojang to send my stamina through the roof? I take a bunch of supplements, I am 5’10 about 164 LBS. I want to really be able to work through it and not “peter out,” so quickly.
I look forward to the suggestions!

Thanks!

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Running--slow pace, over distance--and jump rope.

OP
R

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have never jumped rope in my life lol! Okay I will go out buy one after testing on saturday. How many reps, or time, to start you think?

Slow pace, are we talking a slow even jog and maybe 3-5 miles? Would twice a week be enough? Should I be sprinting in between?

Thanks,

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have never jumped rope in my life lol! Okay I will go out buy one after testing on saturday. How many reps, or time, to start you think?

Slow pace, are we talking a slow even jog and maybe 3-5 miles? Would twice a week be enough? Should I be sprinting in between?

Thanks,

LOL, if you never jumped rope you will find that this girly kid's game is very demanding! If you last 2 minutes, you are good! We did stations, one of them was jump rope. It get's your heart pumping.

Personally I do prefer low impact exercises though like exercise bike or swimming. I find my joints agreeing with me on this one. ;)

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jump rope: 2 minutes to start; build up to additional rounds with breaks in between. Running (and I agree with Granfire that swimming is better; I just HATE water): go at a comfortable pace and start with a mile. Don't sprint unless you want to; it's not particularly helpful in building stamina. How many times a week is up to you; every day is probably too much, though. You might want to talk to a personal trainer to get a better plan.

OP
R

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Like the bike idea as well. I have cruiser bike, its pretty nice but made for...well..crusing. How many miles should I ride, and do I have to get the heart pumping super to get stamina or will just riding the distance help with breathing and such. I wanna go low inpact, I just cannot afford a gym with a pool. I am paying 95.00 for myself, 55.00 for my brother, and 45.00 for my sister in tuition alone. So a pool is out:(

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just go biking. Put in a sprint, do a hill...or kick it into the higher gear.

As to pool, maybe the local YMCA has a pool, the ones in my area have one, plus I have a Gym near by with dirt cheap rates (the only good thing Bragg List closings brought about for this area)

Just start. And don't sweat it too much just yet. I think you will be surprised how much even a small amount of reglemented exercise like this will take out of you at first.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like you want to get started on a cardiovascular workout routine. There are numerous sources on the internet for this, many of which require no equipment at all other than yourself and some free space on the floor. Just Google for some ideas.

I am fond of burpees combined with a few rounds of shadow kickboxing. This costs nothing, is highly efficient at raising your heart rate, and there will be come carry over into your TKD as well.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Work like hell in the dojang. Show up first, leave last. If people are doing 10 sets of three-kicks in combination, do 12. If people are punching twice, punch thrice, etc. Often we look for answers outside the dojang when they are right there. Like other people have suggested, work the rope, work the bags and work the paddles.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
FWIW the best cardio is running. Make sure you have good shoes. Swimming is "Better" because it works the lower and upper body, but it is non weight bearing. So better for the joints but not for sparring conditioning.

A bike is good , but the problem is that minimum cardio is a steady 20 minutes minimum 3x a week minimum. In an urban area you usualy have lots of stops and starts with a bike. At leat for running, you can run in place until traffic clears.

If you have sore joint issues rthen you may need to use biking instead of running. (Ice and Ibuprofen are great.)

A simple program I used was to run for example Mon. Wed. Fri. before work. Start with a 1/4 mile if you have to and walk a quarter mile.

Each week increase the distance 10-20% your body will tell you if 290% is too much.

So, a schedule by weeks might be Quarter mile, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 7/8, 1.1, 1.25, 1.5, 1.8, 2.2,2.5,3, . So after 12 weeks you are at 3 miles. If you can start at a half mile or more great.

derobec

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Slow pace, are we talking a slow even jog and maybe 3-5 miles? Would twice a week be enough?

Hi,

Dare I say that that question sounds a little out of place coming from someone who wishes to increase his stamina? I don't really think you need ask whether a slow jog twice a week will be enough.

"Run as much as you can and as often as you can, and whenever you come across a hill, run up it." George Hackenschmidt 'Physical Strength and How I Acquired It' 1908.

Just go for it.

All the Best,
William

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

Dare I say that that question sounds a little out of place coming from someone who wishes to increase his stamina? I don't really think you need ask whether a slow jog twice a week will be enough.

"Run as much as you can and as often as you can, and whenever you come across a hill, run up it." George Hackenschmidt 'Physical Strength and How I Acquired It' 1908.

Just go for it.

All the Best,
William

We have learned a few things since then, not to mention the roads where less paved and much safer... ;)

derobec

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We have learned a few things since then, not to mention the roads where less paved and much safer... ;)

Hi,

To each his own. But we all know that a gentle jog twice a week is not going to develop the level of fitness which the original poster appears to be searching for ("send my stamina through the roof"). In fact, I would have thought that he would already be doing more than that!

All the Best,
William

Last edited:
OP
R

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

To each his own. But we all know that a gentle jog twice a week is not going to develop the level of fitness which the original poster appears to be searching for ("send my stamina through the roof"). In fact, I would have thought that he would already be doing more than that!

All the Best,
William

....Well I am not looking to compete in the olympics or anything. I just want to be able to have some serious stamina. I work a 50+ hour a week job, and go to night school(thankfully much is online) I would like over the course of the next 6 months build all these components to a workout that will get me in tip top stamina shape. How about send my stamina to the roof... I work out at the dojang 2 hours 3 days a week. Intense stuff, not just standing around, we are always moving. I want to add onto that so when I spar or march I am not out of breath so quickly. Thats all.

derobec

Orange Belt
Reaction score
....Well I am not looking to compete in the olympics or anything. I just want to be able to have some serious stamina. I work a 50+ hour a week job, and go to night school(thankfully much is online) I would like over the course of the next 6 months build all these components to a workout that will get me in tip top stamina shape. How about send my stamina to the roof... I work out at the dojang 2 hours 3 days a week. Intense stuff, not just standing around, we are always moving. I want to add onto that so when I spar or march I am not out of breath so quickly. Thats all.

Hi,

I can certainly understand where you're coming from, what concerned me was the direction that this thread appeared to be going.

High stamina demands high investment.

Just another thought, and please don't take this the wrong way, have you thought about adding a wrestling or bjj class once a week? Not because you need it for self defence but because the physical activity of moving a non compliant body is one of the most sapping exercises you'll ever experience. A sure way to add an improvement to your overall fitness level.

Good Luck,
William

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jogging slow is OK I guess. But if you want to be able to recover faster plus add speed to your kicks and hight to your jumps you need to incorporate wind sprints. Just jogging slowly over a long distance really won’t do that much for you.

week 1
10 yards x 10 sets as fast as you can. 30 seconds rest inbetween sprints

week 2
40 yards x 10 sets as fast as you can. 30 seconds rest inbetween sprints

week 3
combine week 1 and 2

week 4 and beyond
combine week 1 with:
100 yards x 10 sets as fast as you can. 30 seconds rest inbetween spints

Jog your long distances after your sprints. Then include some sprinting within your jogging, This is called intervals.

If you can find a hill that 20 yards or so that would be great to do your sprints up and you could use that for week 2. The steeper the incline the better.

Here is some more on wind sprints and why it helps

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/fitness-survival-guides-81076-137.html

http://library.thinkquest.org/C0122922/English/Training/Fitness/Building_Cardiovascular___Musc/Windsprints/windsprints.html

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What type of stamina are you looking for? Stamina to run a marathon is very different from the stamina required to go 3 rounds in a boxing ring. Sparring stamina is different from swimming stamina.

If you're looking for general cardiovascular improvements, then you've already got great advice on running, swimming, cycling and so on.

If you're looking to have more stamina sparring (explosive activities over time), then you should look into interval training. The nice thing about interval training is that you can get a heck of a workout done in a short time; the evil thing is that for the working intervals, you really need to be pushing yourself all out.

One interval workout that's easy to start with is running. Depending on your starting fitness level, you might want to start with an easy jog for a few minutes to warmup the muscles, then do a full on sprint for 30 sec, then back to a jog (not stopping, just slowing down enough to catch your breath) for a minute, then repeat to 10 minutes (to start). This is one workout that can be programmed in to many treadmills, and this provides an easy way to not cheat (in time, or speed of the intervals) and to track your progress by gradually increasing the speed and/or duration of the working intervals, or increasing the speed and/or decreasing the duration of the resting intervals.

Similar intervals can be done cycling, working a heavy bag, using a jump rope, and in many other simple workouts.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
What type of stamina are you looking for? Stamina to run a marathon is very different from the stamina required to go 3 rounds in a boxing ring. Sparring stamina is different from swimming stamina.

If you're looking for general cardiovascular improvements, then you've already got great advice on running, swimming, cycling and so on.

If you're looking to have more stamina sparring (explosive activities over time), then you should look into interval training. The nice thing about interval training is that you can get a heck of a workout done in a short time; the evil thing is that for the working intervals, you really need to be pushing yourself all out.

One interval workout that's easy to start with is running. Depending on your starting fitness level, you might want to start with an easy jog for a few minutes to warmup the muscles, then do a full on sprint for 30 sec, then back to a jog (not stopping, just slowing down enough to catch your breath) for a minute, then repeat to 10 minutes (to start). This is one workout that can be programmed in to many treadmills, and this provides an easy way to not cheat (in time, or speed of the intervals) and to track your progress by gradually increasing the speed and/or duration of the working intervals, or increasing the speed and/or decreasing the duration of the resting intervals.

Similar intervals can be done cycling, working a heavy bag, using a jump rope, and in many other simple workouts.
Ding ding ding...We have a winner. Also look 2 posts up and you will see quite the same. Use the links also.

Last edited:
OP
R

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I can certainly understand where you're coming from, what concerned me was the direction that this thread appeared to be going.

High stamina demands high investment.

Just another thought, and please don't take this the wrong way, have you thought about adding a wrestling or bjj class once a week? Not because you need it for self defence but because the physical activity of moving a non compliant body is one of the most sapping exercises you'll ever experience. A sure way to add an improvement to your overall fitness level.

Good Luck,
William

That is an great idea William. I wouldn't take sound advice like that the wrong way! We have a a few around, I will have to check it out. I may want to do it anyway, always nice to add skills. Thanks for the reply.
BTW: I know its requires a high investment. However, when one has limited time or funds the investment has to be well placed. So I should ask, with limited time each week what is my best option of building this stamina? Thanks again.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lots of great advice above. My only addition would be to suggest you start gradual and stick with it. I would start with focusing on maximizing your intensity in class and jumping rope daily, starting with no more than 5-10 minutes of jumping rope and adding as you improve. Jumping rope is simple but measurable (time or count), you can't cheat, and the conditioning from it relates directly to your TKD.

Good luck!
Carl

Latest Discussions