Can I breathe?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
BTW: I know its requires a high investment. However, when one has limited time or funds the investment has to be well placed. So I should ask, with limited time each week what is my best option of building this stamina? Thanks again.
Interval/circuit training is your best option. How you go about that however can vary a lot.

A relatively simple one I used to do was to do pyramid push ups. (Start with one push up, then go to 2 etc all the way to 24, then do another 24 before stepping it down backwards until you're back at 1.) In between the push ups, I'd do a pattern. The downside to that particular routine is that it took me about an hour to perform to completion.

Now I do a kettlebell routine 2-3 days a week and run ~2 miles on my off days. For flavor, I'll occasionally run the exercise course at the lake near my house.

In all, you're probably best off figuring a routine that works for you, and fits your interests etc.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/circuit-training.html

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
One way to add interval training to your running is to first reach an acceptable level of conditioning. Three miles would be good. Now, add sprints in the middle of the run. In an urban area you can start by sprinting a half block and then a comfortable run for the next 3 and a half blocks and then sprint again . Gradualy decrease the interval between sprints.

Becca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the idea of running :) I started about a year ago to work through exercise induced asthma and it's working so I'd imagine it'd do wonders for a normal person's stamina!

Burpies are a great idea too. I despise them but they work an absolute treat!

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Good morning all,
My sambumnim wants me to work on my Stamina. I have been shown a few things in class to work on it but I do not feel it is enough/I can do more.
I have searched the forum for information on this and read many answers.
What do you guys and gals suggest that I focus on outside the dojang to send my stamina through the roof? I take a bunch of supplements, I am 5’10 about 164 LBS. I want to really be able to work through it and not “peter out,” so quickly.
I look forward to the suggestions!

Thanks!
Supplements don't help that much. What will help is a graduated system of improvement.

For example: let's just take three things that will help build stamina: jumping jacks, punching a bag and kicking a bag. Do them against a stopwatch and count how many repetitions you can do in a minute, with a minute break between each drill. That's your baseline. Now set a schedule where you do these drills against the watch at least three times a week, Mon/Wed/Fri or Tue/Thu/Sat. Do your baseline numbers for the rest of this week.

Now set a goal: increase the number of reps by 3 each week for six months. Continue doing the drills three times a week at the new setting. If you don't hit the goal number on any of the drills, continue with the same goal numbers for all drills next week until you do hit them for all three workouts. It doesn't sound like much, but at the end of six months, you will have potentially increased your rep count by 78. And that's a lot!

Don't forget to concentrate on doing the impact work with good technique and power. Don't throw sloppy punches or kicks; keep balanced and focused, and above all breathe deeply while you're doing it.

OP
R

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the advice. As soon as I am up on my feet I will get started. As many of you know my foot is broken. I know this may sound silly, but what can I do in the bed, or with one foot so to speak to stay in decent shape or maybe even get in better shape. I was thinking some modfied yoga and pilates. What fo you folks think?
Thanks.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the advice. As soon as I am up on my feet I will get started. As many of you know my foot is broken. I know this may sound silly, but what can I do in the bed, or with one foot so to speak to stay in decent shape or maybe even get in better shape. I was thinking some modfied yoga and pilates. What fo you folks think?
Thanks.

I use yoga as an ongoing therapy for a bulging disk problem I have. Yoga is generally not considered an aerobic exercise even if you do one of those "power yoga" styles like Ashtanga.

I think yoga is beneficial to my martial practice, but be forewarned.